Celebrate Leicas First Digital M...now 9 years old

david strachan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

September 2006 Photokina was when the M8 was released.  Deliveries took about three months, during which time the famous IR/UV shift problem was discovered. This resulted in incorrect colour under certain light…easy fit filters to tune the sensor to the lens’ light fixed the problem admirably.

It’s now 9 years old…will the old girls go 10 years…for a digital camera? The most traded digital "pre-loved" cameras on the market.

I see far more Forum entries posts regarding the M8 versus other Leica cameras. I wonder what the production numbers were…and how many M8 cameras? There are still many out there with low shutter counts. 

Beautiful cameras, for the photographer.  You drive the camera… one of my favourite things.

What’s your take on the M8?? Still using, or gathering dust?? Is it still all reliable?? Any breakdowns? What do you like in the M8?

Cheers  Dave S ;) 

• Like 1

I have kept my M8.2 because i like much its image quality and i consider it the best crop cam for M lenses but i use it only randomly due to its motor noise making it one of my noisiest cameras. Otherwise i works perfectly besides the coffee stain but the latter has disappeared totally.

• Like 1

I bought mine as soon as one was available and used it as my main camera for 6 years, traded it for other Leica equipment but then missed its infra-red images so acquired a second one two years ago.

I very much like its handling, dislike not being able to nominate a lens, it's shutter re-cock noise is distracting compared to the M240's but the hand-held digital infra-red files and out-of-camera b&w jpegs are just sublime and will cause me to keep it until it is a non-functioning, rusted-out doorstop and doors become redundant.

Pete.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21581380755_7f4383f02c_b.jpgCox Farms Fall 2015 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Yes, M8 is gathering Dust. Take it on a Hayride, dust is inevitable. I use a big dust blower and damp cloth. The M8 has received more complements from the younger generation at events like this than any other of my cameras. 

Nikkor 5cm F2 at F2.8.

• Like 1

Have you ever had any problems with the M8?

I upgraded to the quieter shutter when it became available to help with discreetly shooting in cathedrals etc and only had occasional freeze-ups, which were fixed by dropping the battery out, until it became known that partially-spent batteries were at the root of the problem.  I now change the battery when it's down to 2 bars and the freeze-ups have disappeared.

Pete.

• Like 1

3 in the stable, no plans to let them go any time soon. First camera came new with a broken shutter. This added a couple of months delay before I could shoot my first frames with it. Dropped it later on a tile floor, that was an expensive repair, just under $1000. All other experiences good once I found a good brand of memory card.

Why not sell? They've depreciated so far that it pays to just keep them.

Eric

• Like 1

I am a late commer to the M8. While not cheap, it became affordable, and I could not resist. Strangely enough, the M8, and the various Leica lenses I have purchased for use with it, have become my gateway back to film. Due to the reports of failing LCD, I have recorded how to manipulate settings on a spreadsheet, and use the M* in pretty much the same way I use the M2, and the Barnak camera. ISO is always at 160 and I rely on "pushing" exposure when necessary. As of right now, if the LCD failed, I am not sure I would even be aware of it. It has been weeks since I have used the LCD.

The shutter noise was one thing about the camera that I found off-putting. However, now that I have used it for a while, I am not so sure it is an exceptionally loud shutter; but it shure is an exceptionally strange sounding shutter.  

It is kind of strange: the one M camera that Leica seems to have abandoned, brought me to using, and loving, two of their legacy cameras, and has me vacilating back and forth on whether or not to just chuck my Digital SLR equipment. The only reason I hang on to the DSLR stuff is that the Leica gear will never offer the great telephoto capabilties of my Pentax K5IIs. However, the K5IIs is not safe because the M8's  influence on me to start using film again has caused me to pull out and use my Pentax AP Tower SLR camera. I understand that this is one of the first Pentax SLR cameras and, strangely enough, it seems like the SLR that Barnak would have designed.....It is as old as the IIIG, and seems just as solid. Shutter is even quiet.

I do, at times, resent the fact that I have to be concerned about sensor and LCD failure in M8, but on the other hand, it made digitial M an affordable proposition for me. For years, I have desired Leica equipment but always told myself it was too expensive. It is hard to say how many times over the years I have wasted that same Leica money buying, trying, and becoming dissatisfied with other, less expensive systems. Now I have the M8, M2, IIIG, and IIIC, along with Leica lenses in 90mm, 35mm, 28mm, and 50mm. The GAS is finally subsiding, and I can see it going away for a good while.............After I get a 35mm Summilux. :ph34r:

Yeah, I like my M8.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 2

Don't worry, the camera has not been abandoned by Leica. It is still repaired by CS and will be for as long as parts can be found.  AFAIK the sensor is still stocked, however, who would pay the price of repair? Better to buy another M8. Something similar goes for the LCD. No, it is not available any more, but the cost of replacement would be prohibitive anyway. All other parts are still there.

• Like 2

Don't worry, the camera has not been abandoned by Leica.

Hello Jaap, I remember you gave your M8 to your brother...being reskinned I remember.

Did you have the outstanding performance as Farnz?? Did you use yours much...many actuations??

Love to see a pic of the camera, seeing we are having a "Gin n Tonic" to the old beauties...thanks.

All best Dave S

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

CCD failure with the M8- have not read too many complain, more with the M9 sensor cracking. The M9 sensor was probably "thinned" more for the off-angle with a full-frame. The LCD failures: seems to be more from a bad batch.

My oldest camera with an LCD is ~1998. It still works. Nikon D1 and D1x, still work. 

Oldest CCD Digital camera- 1993 Kodak DCS200, CCD is fine. 1997 Nikon E3, also fine.

I don't worry about the M8 CCD and LCD. I expect the mechanical parts to require service before the electronics. When the latter go, and uneconomical to repair- think about it then. Last M8 Standing...

And M8RAW2DNG- wish that was around since I bought the camera! 

Edited by fiftyonepointsix
  • Like 1

Had 2 M8.2s, but sold one after moving to the M240, and kept the other as back-up.  Unfortunately it doesn't get used, despite wonderful IQ, as the M has proved reliable in addition to offering the advantages that attracted me in the first place...quieter, better battery and processor, weather sealing, etc...and the IQ is as good or better.  The improved RF of the M was also a bonus.  But should the need arise to go back to the M8.2, the end goal of making pics suitable for print would not be hindered....it's a terrific, and underrated, camera.

Jeff

• Like 1

The cover glass is permanent on the sensor and cannot be replaced separately. It is integral, so it makes no difference if the glass cracks or the whole sensor cracks- the whole sensor has to be replaced. I do not see complaints of M8 sensors cracking. Let's hope the BG-55 glass is less prone to breaking than the S8612.

Edited by fiftyonepointsix
  • Like 1