Availability?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If there is still a considerable line when/if a interchangable lens Q/New M comes out before the end of the year you will see cancellations in droves. I know one guy on here said he cancelled his Q in anticipation of it.

I completely agree - if that does get announced next month I think you'll see all of the demand drop.  Of course that depends on price - if the new one is double the cost, you'll see some stick with a Q - but many of us wanting and a Q with changeable lenses and auto focus would likely pass on the fixed lens Q.  I actually have an M(240) and love it, but I do really miss Auto-focus.  I know, I know, manual focus can be faster - but sadly I just can't nail it as well as I'd like.  I wear glasses and have tried several of the screw on diopters and all of it just gets to be more trouble than it should be on a camera that runs over $7k.  I mean really, they couldn't include an adjustable diopter?  

• Like 1

That puts a huge question mark at the motivation or even knowledge of those buyers to get the Q. Ordering it "in droves" without even considering what the camera actually is and offers, and dropping it "in droves" when there is a glimmer of a new shiny thing -without even knowing what the thing is- on the horizon does not sound like a buying public to be taking seriously.

Why on earth would somebody who wants an interchangeable lens camera ever consider buying the Q? The only explanation I can think of is a desire to flaunt the newest red dot.

I hope this effect will reduce the number of "how do I change lenses on the Q?" threads on this forum... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I completely agree - if that does get announced next month I think you'll see all of the demand drop.  Of course that depends on price - if the new one is double the cost, you'll see some stick with a Q - but many of us wanting and a Q with changeable lenses and auto focus would likely pass on the fixed lens Q.  I actually have an M(240) and love it, but I do really miss Auto-focus.  I know, I know, manual focus can be faster - but sadly I just can't nail it as well as I'd like.  I wear glasses and have tried several of the screw on diopters and all of it just gets to be more trouble than it should be on a camera that runs over $7k.  I mean really, they couldn't include an adjustable diopter?  

Really, they couldn't. Leica has nothing against adjustable diopters, many if not most of their cameras have one. However, it seems to be very difficult designing one for a combined range/viewfinder.

That puts a huge question mark at the motivation or even knowledge of those buyers to get the Q. Ordering it "in droves" without even considering what the camera actually is and offers, and dropping it "in droves" when there is a glimmer of a new shiny thing -without even knowing what the thing is- on the horizon does not sound like a buying public to be taking seriously.

Why on earth would somebody who wants an interchangeable lens camera ever consider buying the Q? The only explanation I can think of is a desire to flaunt the newest red dot.

I hope this effect will reduce the number of "how do I change lenses on the Q?" threads on this forum... :rolleyes:

That might be the case for some - not for me personally.  I still think the Q is a great value (relatively speaking in Leica terms) - you're getting a camera and a LUX lens - yes, you can't change it and for now I have my M for that, but it comes with other features that make it attractive despite being tied to one lens.  And the lens it's tied to is a heck of a lens.  Would I prefer a camera with all the Q modern features AND a changeable lens, yes, but for now I'd be happy with all the features and one lens.  So maybe not as clear cut.

Alan....I don't think that is an accurate statement. The Q is my first Leica but I have a closet full of Nikon bodies and lenses. Over the years I have dropped more than one. In one case the body was severly damaged. Sent it to Nikon and it came back perfect. Not a cheap fix but way, way less than a new body.

If I drop the Q, or something inside fails, I have no doubt that Leica's repair service is up to the same standard. And if it is internal, the warranty may cover it as well.

I think when we pay what we do for our bodies and lenses from folks like Nikon and Leica, we get superior backup from them on repair services as well.

Just my own experience and opinion...Mike

Alan....I don't think that is an accurate statement. The Q is my first Leica but I have a closet full of Nikon bodies and lenses. Over the years I have dropped more than one. In one case the body was severly damaged. Sent it to Nikon and it came back perfect. Not a cheap fix but way, way less than a new body.

If I drop the Q, or something inside fails, I have no doubt that Leica's repair service is up to the same standard. And if it is internal, the warranty may cover it as well.

I think when we pay what we do for our bodies and lenses from folks like Nikon and Leica, we get superior backup from them on repair services as well.

Just my own experience and opinion...Mike

My point is the lens that could serve you for as long as 100 years, it won't just because the body will die much sooner. In other words, lens's normally very long lifespan is limited by body's much shorter lifespan.

Edited by Alan Aurmont

My point is the lens that could serve you for as long as 100 years, it won't just because the body will die much sooner. In other words, lens's normally very long lifespan is limited by body's much shorter lifespan.

There are mechanical parts in the lens. I had to send my Leica C in because the diaphragm did not work any more.

I agree with Alan, much of that 4k is going to that beautiful lens and they will most likely outlive the body by many years. This is the first time ever Leica has made a non telescopic fixed lens so someday it will be a shame that it will be useless. The realty though is that this camera will be serviceable for a decade, maybe more, so by the time it dies for good I'm sure we'll be placated by our 85MP Tri Elmar Q.

I have heard that the waiting time in Switzerland, where I live, is around 2 months. So, I was very surprised today when one store owner told me I could pick one up tomorrow. He had received a special delivery and evidently did not have a formal waiting list - and it's pay day tomorrow, as well. Lucky me!

Edited by fimbul

I have heard that the waiting time in Switzerland, where I live, is around 2 months. So, I was very surprised today when one store owner told me I could pick one up tomorrow. He had received a special delivery and evidently did not have a formal waiting list - and it's pay day tomorrow, as well. Lucky me!

Wow that surprises me! Enjoy it!! I have been waiting since the 19th of June and really could have used the Q for my vacations. I also live in Switzerland, I'm supposed to be the first on a waiting list of a small retailer.

After the stock marking crashing in China and elsewhere I'm sure the availability will increase quickly

Agree, especially for Asian Tiger economies. I feel bad for the investors in Asia who have never experienced free market stock instability. Let's face it, the Dow down 300+ for three days in a row is unprecedented. I hope 

it straightens out for our friends in Asia, and they get their Leica Q's. 

How has it been adjusting to the 28mm FOV, or is that a go to length for you?

Just a quick note to those that are still waiting... It is totally worth the wait!

I don't think I could have the Q as my only camera, but at the same time, I wish all my other cameras felt like the Q to shoot.