More pictures per second with small JPEG?

B-stand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

Sorry if this been asked before.

I usually only work wit raw files bit I like the BW rendering of the Q in Jpegs. So my question is.

Can I take as many pictures in a row with jpeg smaller or large?

My main concern is speed. But it there is no difference when using large JPEG, why not. 

( I Have a 90Mb/S card)

Cheers.

Yes.  But there are technical reasons that limit how many shots can be taken  if you keep the shutter depressed.

You can take as many JPEGS as you want and turn off Raw recording and choose Continuous shooting.  It  is limited by the cameras buffer and the camera will eventually  stop while that set of images is written to the sdcard.     But you have to decide if the small JPEGS are good enough for your requirements.  Only you can decide that.   You have to experiment.  

Edited by lucerne

Sorry if my English is unclear. 

My main priority is to use  the Q´s Raw files but is there much loss in write speed/buffert if you use the smallest Jpeg setting VS the largest one?

Yes. I would say they you could set the camera to the smallest JPEG and the speed of saving the RAW + smallest JPEG will be faster.  I don't have any way to measure the speed so you need to experiment and you might be able to feel the speed difference.  I use that setting to save space on my SDCARD.

• Like 1

I don't have my Q yet so this is supposition based upon on other cameras I've used...

The fastest burst rate is limited by the amount of buffer memory in the camera.   Once the buffer is full the rate is reduced to the memory card write bandwidth.  If that is the same on the Q using the smallest jpeg size might get you an extra image or two at the maximum rate.   Once the buffer is full the small jpeg size won't make that much of a difference... either size jpeg will still be much slower than the maximum burst rate.  The smaller jpegs might be less slow, but still plenty slow compared to the initial buffer filling burst.