Bulk load "compatibility" M6 and later

ccg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry in advance if this has been covered before... I haven't been able to find it though.

I've read several veiled comments about the inability to shoot bulk loaded film in M bodies after early M6s. Why is this? One I read even went so far as to suggest possible damage to the camera. Most things I've read though have just made references to changes in the base plate causing problems with advancing.

I recently acquired a MP (previously owned a M3 and M6 Classic) and have typically bulk loaded my HP5 into metal cassettes. I'm a bit nervous about trying it on the MP, though. Anybody have experience?

Thanks for any advice!

c

PS- I'm new here... be nice. ;)

The restriction only applies to the metal IXMOO Leica/Letiz casettes. Plastic and metal standard cassettes available for bulk loading are not an issue.

The incompatibility is physical. The IXMOO requires a baseplate with a "key" that opens the IXMOO as the bottom plate is closed. A compatible baseplate can be swopped with say an M6 without the plate. The next restriction is the late M6 TTL M7 and MP of the same vintage where the body shell was changed to accommodate the DX sensors in the M7 ( the MP uses the same shell without the sensor but the size is the same) this is now too small to allow an IXMOO to be used. 

Your metal cassettes I presume are not IXMOO and will therefore be fine, shoot away and welcome.

Just for fun these are IXMOO cassettes and their containers

6736205089_276cfe4417_b.jpg

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

No problem to shoot in any actual standard 35mm cassette in the M7 (which I have) or MP/M6.

21486016576_c39b3e3bee.jpg

21520906641_7a5b20f669.jpg

For that Kodak 5222 Double-X you can buy some 122m/400ft reels bulk film for each you can make 72 pcs. 135-36 films.

20889478734_ea34e67081_n.jpg

Well it keeps you from the street for some time ...... :)  (or not!)

The IXMOO requires a baseplate with a "key" that opens the IXMOO as the bottom plate is closed. A compatible baseplate can be swopped with say an M6 without the plate. The next restriction is the late M6 TTL M7 and MP of the same vintage where the body shell was changed to accommodate the DX sensors in the M7 ( the MP uses the same shell without the sensor but the size is the same) this is now too small to allow an IXMOO to be used. 

My M6TTL Millennium (date:  2000) is compatible with IXMOO's as long as a compatible baseplate (e.g. M4) is used.  At what point were late M6TTL's changed so that the body no longer accommodated these cassettes? 

• 4 years later...
On 9/24/2015 at 7:53 PM, M9reno said:

My M6TTL Millennium (date:  2000) is compatible with IXMOO's as long as a compatible baseplate (e.g. M4) is used.  At what point were late M6TTL's changed so that the body no longer accommodated these cassettes? 

Hello M9reno,

just curious, is this proven? I have the M6 NSH Millennium version. Swapping the M4 base plate will work? Is M2 and M3 base plate the same? Cause i am not sure about the DX thingy that was discussed earlier.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, imken said:

Hello M9reno,

just curious, is this proven? I have the M6 NSH Millennium version. Swapping the M4 base plate will work? Is M2 and M3 base plate the same? Cause i am not sure about the DX thingy that was discussed earlier.

Yes, at least my M6TTL 0.85 and M6TTL Millennium, once fitted with a latch-wheel bottom plate from an M4, work perfectly with an IXMOO.

The M3, M2, M1 base plates, while having the cassette latch-wheel, lack the spoke wheel at the other end of the base plate.  You need this spoke wheel with the M4, M6, M6TTL M7, MP, and MA to accommodate the flower-petal quick-loading take-up spool, regardless of using an IXMOO. So basically there are two kinds of IXMOO-compatible bottom plates, depending on whether you use a pre-quick-loading M or later.

Don’t try putting an IXMOO into an M5, M7, MP, or MA - they won’t fit, and use of force will cause damage.

Edited by M9reno

Hello, M9reno,

Thanks for replying despite me responding to this 4 years late.

Sorry, I am a bit lost when you mentioned about the flower petal quick loading take up spool and the 2 kinds of IXMOO compatible plates.

Do you have photo to share?  Mine is the M6 Millennium NSH Version.  I think all the Millennium versions are all the same (fight?).

I don’t know where to get the compatible base plates and further to that, needed it to be in black.  If you know anywhere on ebay or anywhere with the right kind I need, I would be so grateful you point me the right direction.  Nonetheless, I am still very appreciative that you still reply to the 4 years ago discussion.

Kind Regards,

ken

32 minutes ago, imken said:

Hello, M9reno,

Thanks for replying despite me responding to this 4 years late.

Sorry, I am a bit lost when you mentioned about the flower petal quick loading take up spool and the 2 kinds of IXMOO compatible plates.

Do you have photo to share?  Mine is the M6 Millennium NSH Version.  I think all the Millennium versions are all the same (fight?).

I don’t know where to get the compatible base plates and further to that, needed it to be in black.  If you know anywhere on ebay or anywhere with the right kind I need, I would be so grateful you point me the right direction.  Nonetheless, I am still very appreciative that you still reply to the 4 years ago discussion.

Kind Regards,

ken

No problem, Ken.  Here are three cameras, from top to bottom:

M6TTL Millennium (s.n. 2 501 xxx):  no cassette latch wheel, so won’t work with IXMOO.  Note quick-loading spoke wheel at other end of plate.

M4:  IXMOO-compatible latch wheel.  Because this has the quick-loading wheel, it can be swapped with the M6TTL base plate.  This exists in chrome, black chrome, or black paint versions - just keep searching eBay.

M3:  IXMOO-compatible latch wheel, but is not compatible with the M4 or M6TTL’s quick-loading mechanism - note the removable spool instead.  Edit:  sorry my photo shows this base-plate the opposite way around to the other two.

i hope this helps!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

Hello M9reno,

Thanks for doing this.  This is now crystal clear.  I just landed myself on a base plate that sets me back USD 399!!!  The shipping cost is USD 14.00.

For me, I still think it is exciting despite my wallet crying out!!  Lol.  Thanks for the in depth explanation.  I will be getting the base plate in the next 3 weeks.  I am just going to wait patiently for this.  At least I know I am getting the right item.  It is the chrome black that I am getting as it is the only one available.  The rest are either for M2 or M3 and in silver.  Had you not pointed that out, I would not have realised it.  Another question, what is that?  I just realise that I have that on my M6 as well.  Not sure if it will affect anything changing the base plate.

Anyway, thank you once again so much for everything!! You’re a star!!

2 hours ago, imken said:

Hello M9reno,

Thanks for doing this.  This is now crystal clear.  I just landed myself on a base plate that sets me back USD 399!!!  The shipping cost is USD 14.00.

For me, I still think it is exciting despite my wallet crying out!!  Lol.  Thanks for the in depth explanation.  I will be getting the base plate in the next 3 weeks.  I am just going to wait patiently for this.  At least I know I am getting the right item.  It is the chrome black that I am getting as it is the only one available.  The rest are either for M2 or M3 and in silver.  Had you not pointed that out, I would not have realised it.  Another question, what is that?  I just realise that I have that on my M6 as well.  Not sure if it will affect anything changing the base plate.

Anyway, thank you once again so much for everything!! You’re a star!!

Thanks, Ken.  That bit that you circled is for the motor drive coupling, so has nothing to do with the baseplate type.