Drive fault, did my M8 just turned into a brick?

Maxos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all,

My M8 just stopped working! First it would click but the drive couldn't push the curtain all the way back. Took out the battery and it would reset. Tried again, same thing, click and drive half way back. Now after a few tries the motor does't even turn, it's just stuck on "Drive fault, shutter fault". 

I've read that this is common and it's a $500 bill to fix, however, I was wondering if this could be a battery issue. My battery was long due, it could only provide a few dozens of shots so I am wondering if I should try that out first?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yep...put it into Camera Clinic in Collingswood, for testing.  Don't let the grand old dame die! Still a very good camera.

It really sounds to me like a weak battery.

If you can get a low shutter count one they trade about Aus$1,800, best I could get in February after an extensive search...from UK, including a fair hit with Customs about $280 (c.4,000 actuations). And the dollar was pretty chronic then too. I wanted a silver chrome one...of course they are much rarer.

I'm still very happy having two of these cameras...can't be prised from my warm live hands... ^_^

Please let us know how you get on with your testing and conclusions.

all best Dave S :D

Edited by david strachan

Thanks all. I've got a mint black one with just over 8500 actuations, so I am hoping a battery issue. I don't know, maybe I'll trade it for a nice little fuji with video. I love it but it's getting hard to resist those new technologies. I'd get a new M but the cost is just too much compared to what I do with them. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

Do not give up on M8. I had a shutter problem last year similar to yours, sent the camera to Wetzlar and got the shutter replaced for free (camera being more than second hand - I am at least 3rd owner). Just check with their customer support first, and follow it up -  make sure you get their ERP registration confirmation not just e-mail. Happened to me, the camera stayed there 2 months unattended, but eventually surfaced and got repaired fairly quickly.

• Like 1

This happened on my M8 as well. I did all the things that were mentioned - with no effect. The shutter was completely stuck. Even using a brand new battery fully charged did not have any effect.

After a day having the M8 left beside, I checked again - nothing.

Then I remembered that Leica service told me that the camera body frame was broken. I took the body into both hands and "wrenched" the body holding in both hands. after two or three "applications" the sensor went backing normal position and everything works then. After that occurrance I actuated the camera w/o any problems for more than 5.000 pictures.

A repair - if this is your problem - will at least start at 500 € incl. VAT and shipping. Better to go for a second one and use the other as a repository over time. :-) .

And don't give up M8! There are circumstances that produce different pictures than the M (240)

• Like 1

This happened on my M8 as well. I did all the things that were mentioned - with no effect. The shutter was completely stuck. Even using a brand new battery fully charged did not have any effect.

After a day having the M8 left beside, I checked again - nothing.

Then I remembered that Leica service told me that the camera body frame was broken. I took the body into both hands and "wrenched" the body holding in both hands. after two or three "applications" the sensor went backing normal position and everything works then. After that occurrance I actuated the camera w/o any problems for more than 5.000 pictures.

A repair - if this is your problem - will at least start at 500 € incl. VAT and shipping. Better to go for a second one and use the other as a repository over time. :-) .

And don't give up M8! There are circumstances that produce different pictures than the M (240)

Thanks! The "wrenching" thing didn't work :) I'll try a new battery next, and if not I need to think what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maxos,

I had the same problem, and from my understanding it has nothing to do with battery. I guess the electric magnet may not get correct signal to release the shutter due to aged electrics, so normally I will let my M8 stay for one or two minutes after power on (hope to warm up aged electrics), then I can take a shot ... finger crossed.

I have to remove the plastic cover permanently to expose shutter lever mechanism, so that I can manually drag the lever (showed @ 2nd image) to finish the shutter cycle when this "Drive fault" issue happen again.

Hope it helps & best

Q

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by qu9542
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, what do you mean by ERP registration? I have the same problem, sent the camera to my area leica care to check and was quoted for $1275 for shutter replacement, im not happy about this.

Do not give up on M8. I had a shutter problem last year similar to yours, sent the camera to Wetzlar and got the shutter replaced for free (camera being more than second hand - I am at least 3rd owner). Just check with their customer support first, and follow it up -  make sure you get their ERP registration confirmation not just e-mail. Happened to me, the camera stayed there 2 months unattended, but eventually surfaced and got repaired fairly quickly.