Luigi case for Silver M8

woodda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Check this out!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My Luigi case arrived today--he shipped it Fed Ex as he was headed out the door on vacation Friday. The reason I'm posting is that I want to thank everyone who posted feedback and also images on this thread. I made my buying decisions based on the usability information reported here. I ended up selecting the Cognac Brown half case, no grip, hanging back. The strap is lovely, also--very supple but strong. I have a chrome M8 with chrome lenses and with the Luigi case everything looks quite "classic" now, which will help with the camera being "underestimated" by photo subjects and, hopefully, even less "threatening." (And it just looks sharp in the Luigi case and with the Luigi strap.)

Thanks,

Will

P.S. The case, even without grip, does give a bit of bulk. Some things I'd like to contribute that haven't been mentioned: (1) The case surface and that little extra width moves fingers back from the rangerfinder window (no "pinkout" failures in the viewfinder any longer). (2) The camera is cushioned so when it's set down it doesn't "clunk." (3) The camera is now "sticky" because of the leather surface, making it *much* easier to grip in the hand. (4) Smells good. :) (5) No more nose grease on my screen and no more direct worries about scratching the screen. (And, of course, the case would come off of the camera for prolonged storage, should that happen.)

Maybe anyone with a well-made leather half case knows these things already--I haven't owned one so I did know. If you knew, bear with me. Thanks, Will.

• 5 weeks later...
O.K Wooda here we go

The case is by Luigi and as you can see is the half case with grip.

Hope this helps

Woody

Woody, is that case aged brown or cognac brown?

It really look nice with a silver m8.

And how's the case now, in terms of durability and finish?

Does it change color or become somewhat loose fitting?

thanks.

Case for me aged brown. Looks good. With the leather eye tabs it is tight fit using the Luigi strap. I have found not using them the best way forward as the case protects the camera from rubbing anyway.

Woodda,

Can you post the picture of your m8 with the case?

my nomination is aged brown or rally.

but luigi's site pictures often show different color despite the same color name.

thanks.

Woody, is that case aged brown or cognac brown?

It really look nice with a silver m8.

And how's the case now, in terms of durability and finish?

Does it change color or become somewhat loose fitting?

thanks.

It is aging gracefully after a long hot trip through 7 European countries in 23 days. Lots of sweat etc but all that has happened is the finish is slightly burnished. This stuff will never wear out I think. And man does it smell good!

Woody

I don't get it. Changing the card and the battery are already a bit of a pain. Am I imagining things or are Leica users the only ones wanting cases. I can not visualize a case on a D2X or even a D200. I did put a Kirk QR plate on mine and it makes the gripping the camera more secure. But a case? No way. John

Guest sirvine

John,

That's the only reason that I don't use my Luigi case--the inconvenience of pulling it off each time to remove the base plate. If not for that, it would be on there a lot because it is a real improvement to the feel of the camera, despite adding to the width.

Also, those rubber skins for Nikons seem to be selling like crazy, so I'm not sure that Leica owners are the only ones crazy about wrapping their cameras. Maybe the difference is between handmade Italian leather and rubber armor -- just a little joke.

I think I've been through all of these cases ... Leica black leather protector - ok but nothing special, Luigi Black with grip & panel at back - excellent, Luigi tan with flag - fabulous with silver M8.

In general when I'm shooting with a tripod I put the Leica base with grip on which has a Kirk plate attached. When I'm travelling and shooting handheld, I put the camera in the Luigi case.

The silver/tan combo is gotgeous. I've had a number of people comment on it and the fact that I shoot with an old school metal film camera :D Most people can't tell that it's a digital M8.

Black on black works well too.

Regarding the screw mount Luigi cases - can this be added to existing cases?

By the way grip or no grip

I bought a Tan coloured case ("Cherry wood" I think is the name of the colour. With a grip, which has proven to be useful. I bought it with the additional full front cover as well which I use if I go out with just one lens.

It's a good case though the small loops that hod the strap fitting together come loose. I also wish it had a broad screw in base screw which could be mounted directly on a tripod if necessary. My father's old IIIg, which I used as a boy, had one of those :-|

It just looks right with the silver M8. Way better than Leica's black case...

- Vikas

I woudl recommend the backflap not be detachable as I find it helps protect as it swings against the body. Also it dicourages against keeping looking at the image and concentrating on the next shot. I also had the tripod mount.

PS front case is pointless in my opinion. Prevents easy access to camera and what do you do with it when you are shooting