Luigi case for Silver M8

woodda

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grip or no Grip. I purchase the Leica grip as it gives me more certainty when I take it out of my bag (The leica leather is a bit slippy). If one is to buy the Luigi case do you think the Luigi grip is required based on my example above

Cheers

I have my chrome (silver) M8 in an antique brown Luigi half case with the removeable back and built in grip. LOVE IT! Last week I saw someone with the flap back but I like mine better.

Here is my aged brown case. I ordered mine with no cover for the back.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bill (or anyone else with a Luigi case):

How big are your hands? And how comfortable do you find the eliptical "bump" on the front that is sort of a mini-grip?

I've tried the Leica half case (a.k.a. "camera protector"). It's a bit uncomfortable--my left hand keeps gripping the edge of the leather rather than the very small raised area. I have the classic M-grip for my M6. I only like it when shooting a 90mm Summicron (and it won't fit on an M8 because the tripod socket's moved anyway). So I probably wouldn't like the case with the built-in cylindrical full grip.

I have big hands (my shoe size is 13-14 U.S.). For some reason the M6 with a Soft Release is just right for me most of the time without any extras. I just put my right thumb between the advance lever and the camera, and all's well. The M8 seems to need something to help hold it well (and keep fingers off the screen and finder windows).

Is there someone in or around Seattle who has a Luigi case I could hold for a couple of minutes and see if it fits?

--Peter

Woody

Does your Arca plate attach rigidly to the base of your Luigi case? I noticed you are using the rear lip along the edge of the case and I imagine that must help a lot. I use the RRS L plate a lot and wonder if it would attach secure and tight.

Joe

I don't even carry it. I keep the camera in an Art & Artisian neoprene case when in a case or on the shelf so I don't even keep that panel attached. It sits at home on my desk. I probably should have ordered it wihout the back.

Losta,

Thanks for your post. Do you not find having a piece of leather in your pocket anoying as you wil haev to take it off every time you wish to get to settings.

Darrell,

What did you decide? I love my Luigi half case on the silver M8, with grip. Friends are always amazed that the camera looks so classic, and yet is a modern digital. I got the folding flap, which protects the LCD screen well, and flaps open when I need it to. You got plenty of feedback here, let us know what you decided.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

wilfredo, Yes the feedback was incredible. Nearly decided I am off the Italy for 17days tomorrow to stay with the family and migth pop down to pick it up in person.

I will update the forum as soon as I haev confirmed. By the way what colour did you get

Woody

Does your Arca plate attach rigidly to the base of your Luigi case? I noticed you are using the rear lip along the edge of the case and I imagine that must help a lot. I use the RRS L plate a lot and wonder if it would attach secure and tight.

Joe

Hi Joe

Yes the arca swiss plate on the camadapter threads directly into the Luigi case. However you must buy Luigi's stainless steel screw which goes into the base of the case and threads into the M8 Tripod bushing. Then the arca swiss plate screws into the stainless steel screw. Sounds way more difficult than it really is. This ends up as a very stable system with great flexibility.

Woody

• 1 month later...

Done it at last. even though all my M8 and 4 lenses are currently with Leica:. Thanks for the suggestions

Model:

1. M8 half Built-in-grip with rear cut-out hanging

2. Tripod Screw

3. Deluxe Strap with shoulder pad (No name)

4. Shipping (Registered Air Mail)

Colour: Aged Brown

I use the Leica-half-case (I think its called protector) and do find it handles very well.

Maybe not as pretty as the Luigi but less money and I mo does a very good job.

I have a better grip with it vs just the camera and also IMO better than the handgrip. (Who wants to buy a black, not used handgrip?)

Cheers, Tom

Guest sirvine

I've a black one for my M8 and a brown for my R-D1s. Luigi and I developed the "hanging flap" design together last year for my R-D1s case. Thank goodness for Luigi!