Microsoft Edge browser compatibility bug

indergaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Just to let you know, the forum has issues with Microsoft's Edge browser (the latest officially patched version).

It is not possible to quote posts with the Edge browser at all. The quick-quote field will basically remain all empty, and the only option is to click "more reply options" to be able to write anything at all. When that is done, and the new post editor is loaded, there are no quote entry in the dialog box. The new dialog box is completely empty.

Step 1: Just cliked "quote" on the last post in the thread. The quick-reply dialog box pops up, completely empty, and unusable.

Step 2: Clicked the "more reply options" button, and the advanced editor is loaded on a new page. The dialog box is completely empty (no quote from the post) but allows text input.

I'm finding that Edge is a little incomplete. It does its job, but lacks quite a bit of functionality. I suspect what you have found (and I find the same) is just another example.

I use it on a tablet, and the inability to swipe left and right is a PITA.

I have gone back to Chrome for most things.

I'm finding that Edge is a little incomplete. It does its job, but lacks quite a bit of functionality. I suspect what you have found (and I find the same) is just another example.

I use it on a tablet, and the inability to swipe left and right is a PITA.

I have gone back to Chrome for most things.

I don't think it's a problem with Edge. I don't have a single problem on any other website, and it is one of the most standards compliant browsers already available. And also the most responsive. Although yea, if you need extensions, support for that isn't available yet.

What Edge does, it appears to do correctly. But there is too much missing:

- Managing favourites/bookmarks in Edge is a PITA. Internet Explorer & Chrome used to let you drag bookmarks around to get them in the right order. You need the bookmark manager to do this in Edge. Also, Edge does not like bookmarks hierarchically arranged in folders: it jumps to the bookmark manager. Moving bookmarks in the manager on a tablet is flaky at best; they randomly rearrange.

- Edge can't handle Sky Go (I haven't tried BBC iPlayer yet); nor can Chrome, though IE could.

- Finger swiping is pretty integral to how Microsoft wants you to use Edge on mobile devices. But it is not there.

I use a Surface Pro, and I am disappointed in Edge's behaviour on MS's own tablet. It looks good (text and menu button sizing is better than IE and Chrome for touch screens), but I hope they update it soon.

But other than the issue you mention, I haven't seen any problems with website display.

Edited by LocalHero1953