Fast telephoto lenses on the Leica.

Lax Jought

Shame - looks like a juvenile golden oriole. Would be a rarissima avis in UK so assuming you are in France. 

Yes in France. It is still sitting there but looking a bit brighter, so I am hopeful it might recover. I deliberately leave the two windows that birds seem to hit uncleaned, so that they will be more visible to birds. This has reduced the incidence but not stopped it wholly. I might put some yellow/green earth wire striped tape on them. I had a Jay hit the window two years ago and I thought it was dead but a few hours later, it flew away. 

Wilson

Dunk, 

I tried hanging old CD's not only to warn the birds but possibly to keep the wild boars from digging everything up and making my terrace look like a WW1 battlefield. They seemed to have a reverse effect and I had more birds fly into the windows (? dazzled) and the boars ignored them. Leaving the two windows that they fly into dirty seems to have worked best. That is the first bird that has hit the windows for over two years. Sadly the golden oriole has expired. 

Wilson

• Like 1

The biggest problem for birds is caused by windows which give a view though the object. So they think they can fly straight through and hit the glass. Jalousies or other window blinds prevent this illusion and may be most effective, if one doesn't want to appply a striped pattern directly on the glass. Silhouettes of raptors birds on the glass are often used, but not very helpful.  They must be attached from the outward side, for otherwise the glass reflection may prevent them to be visible. They say that putting sunblocker creme with a high factor on the silhoutte stickers makes them more effective. 

• 3 months later...

I was joking and just meant a floor that's too high for a cricket ball to reach so (on second thought and taking into account the out of focus background) it couldn't have been a cricket ball.

Pete.

It's an imprint of a pigeon that crashed into the window, you can see its face with the beak, the detail in the individual feathers on its body and the wings, and you can also see its feet too.

• Like 1