Fritz

typ 006 stuck mirror & faulty display

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a brand new S typ 006 three weeks ago. I had my entire extended family over labor day weekend.

At dinner I removed the camera from its case to take pictures. After I switched on the camera there were no warning alarms nor messages to suggest anything was wrong with the camera. When I pressed the shutter release button it made a terrible whirring sound and the mirror was locked in the midway position and after some more whirring the mirror went back down without exposing the sensor. The rear display was blank. I was unable to review previously taken pics nor view the camera menu. The display light is on but there is nothing being displayed. The top LCD shows camera settings but no error messages. I am Fedexing the camera to 1 Pearl court NJ in the morning. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what problems I might be facing.  BTW I tried calling customer care USA to no avail however the gentleman who answered the phone in Germany was extremely polite and asked me to ship the camera to Allendale.I checked the warranty book that came with the camera and it mentions that Leica would send me a replacement camera should I need one. Does anyone have any experience with their loaner service ?

Please Help .

Warm regards

Fritz

The leica dealer has a 14 day replacement policy. Unfortunately I was 7 days over that

Surely a reputable dealer would have stepped outside the box, it's not a cheapo!

Have you spoken to the owner of the Leica store?

I'm sure Leica USA will replace it without delay..

I did and he was quite emphatic about the 14 day rule. He also mentioned that this was a bad timing since the new 007 is out my "not so new 006" would be a burden for him to move.  In fact I was made to feel belittled for having a faulty 006 and having it replaced would be like asking for a hand out even though I paid 15k for the camera. Hence after that I do not wish to deal with him again.

Edited by Fritz

I did and he was quite emphatic about the 14 day rule. He also mentioned that this was a bad timing since the new 007 is out my "not so new 006" would be a burden for him to move.  In fact I was made to feel belittled for having a faulty 006 and having it replaced would be like asking for a hand out even though I paid 15k for the camera. Hence after that I do not wish to deal with him again.

And the dealer is? ..... Remarkably poor service especially for a Leica dealer. I'm assuming it was a Leica dealer.. Have you considered contacting BBB? If you paid with a CC you could contact them..

A saga Leica themselves would shudder @...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree. I won't mention his name since I am new to this forum however the store is near the trump hotel in one of the trendy neighbourhoods of the big apple right around  from David Bowie's home.

I suppose Wetzlar is the best and least abrasive way to go.

Me, I would spit on the ground outside this particular dealers door.. Write a letter to the CEO, then move on.. I dealt with B&H for many years, but after the hassle with my Safari and subsequent mishandling of my refund etc.. I now buy elsewhere..

Edited by manoleica

You will get a loaner. Ideally Leica should just replace it with a new one. As for the dealer, dispute the charge with your credit card company, they sold you a defective product.

just an update Allandale has run out of loaner S bodies to give . They will ship my S to germany for diagnostics.  

I did and he was quite emphatic about the 14 day rule.

I would check the consumer laws in your area. In the UK if goods are faulty one can demand a replacement or refund, certainly within 30 days from purchase. Over 30 days and it's more discretionary.

I would speak to Leica perhaps and ask them to speak to the dealer - whilst also checking what your actual consumer rights are.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By quesi
      just got my Q-P back from the repair center, they are telling me that everything is fine with my Q-P, but, are your images in camera also looking like this? 
      See the red stuff?
      somehow its not on all images... please check your Q and tell me. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
    • By quesi
      just got my Q-P back from the repair center, they are telling me that everything is fine with my Q-P but, are your images in camera also looking like this? 
      See the red stuff?
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
    • By amyinthecity
      Hi!  Newbie Leica owner here.  I've been using my Leica Q for a few months on the silent mode (no sound for anything) and suddenly, today, the shutter is making a fairly loud clicking sound when I shoot a picture.  I checked my "acoustic signal" settings and everything is set to "off."  I changed some settings and returned them to off (hoping it just needed a boost!) and that didn't work.  I then reset the camera and that didn't work, either!  The shutter makes a click no matter what.

I'm worried I have broken my camera somehow -- and hope you all have some ideas for me.  Thanks so much!

Amy
    • By echeveria
      Hi all,

I'm a new Leica owner. Got an R6 off a local photographer who let me use it for a few weeks before purchase. Worked fine; price was right, so I paid him for it. I have put through maybe 5-6 rolls through it successfully over the course of my testing period and then shortly after purchase.
      Tried loading a fresh roll of film the other day. Put the leader in the spool, pressed the shutter button, but the mirror is not moving after I press on the button. The shutter button seems to press down fine, however. Since the mirror is not moving after I hit the shutter, I am not able to wind forward the film.
      I have tried:
      moving all parts individually: the mirror, film spool, winder, shutter, film release/double exposure button all move the way that they should. There are no snags or tension. The mirror in particular moves up and down smoothly and doesn't seem out of alignment. The winder and spool do not seem to be loose or have tension; they feel like they move fine. firing the camera with the back open/closed on different shutter speeds tried pressing shutter button/winding the lever at the same time, tried pressing the rewind button and winding the lever at the same time. Since the moving parts seem to be ok, it leads me to think maybe something needs an oiling? Or maybe a spring rusted or got stretched? Or something got unattached?
      I want to open the camera up and try and see what's going on when I fire the shutter. However I wanted to come here for some advice guidance first. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of R6 troubleshooting online.
      One thing to add: I notice while switching between shutter speeds I do hear a mechanical buzz. Doesn't seem to be on every change of the shutter however.
      Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
    • By Vfromhere
      Hello all, new member and Q owner here. Just wondering if any of you use a digital art display your pictures  ? Thinking of the Meural or Depict devices - or alternatives ? 
      Thanks for any input !