Just bought a Monochrom...and I'm having problems :(

jonnyboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys...

Been in the M8 section for a while...until I sold my M8 2 weeks ago and decided to upgrade to a Leica Monochrom which I had the chance to try it at the local Leica shop and I completely fell in love.
Found an amazing deal on eBay, amazing price with around 2000 actuation. It arrived mint, all the bundle included and also 2 months of warranty left...exciting!

Just put the lens on and....snap.....Shutter Error <_< format the card, reset the camera...restart...and the camera works with no problem. Ok I thought it was just a little thing.
Then the day after same thing....over and over again...basically as soon I switch on the camera I get the Shutter Error, I switch off and on and then it works. So I go to the Leica shop in Mayfair and see if needs repair. When I went there the camera was working perfectly :wacko: so I go home thinking is just a little bug. But the problem persisted and eventually I got back to the store and spoke with a technician in there...he inspected the camera for few minutes, check the curtains, the sd card, the battery....and basically he said the camera is fully functional (I had the shutter error just once in there!)...

But the problem keep showing up and is really bugging me now. Did anyone had the same issue? I reinstalled the firmware, tryied many many things but I cant get where's the problem...

Anyone could advice me how to figure out what's wrong with the camera? It makes me feel absolutely weird to go at the Leica Store and the camera works fine in there.... :wacko: :wacko:

One thing that comes to mind is a mechanical problem with the shutter position sensor. Those are little nylon fingers, they can get sticky. That might explain the intermittent character of the fault, as temperature and humidity might influence it. Pure speculation and conjecture, though.

I would return the camera to the shop and look for another one.This is not the only Monochrom on the planet.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just some wild thinking here, you seem to imply it happens after the camera has been idle for some time, so, has the main battery been left in the camera for long enough to ensure the internal battery for memory/clock is charged up? It needs a good 24 hours continuous charge and if you are taking the main battery out then putting it back in it may not be getting enough time to charge the internal battery. Also look at any anomalous thing that may be confusing the camera on start up that can be variable, so is the lens properly clicked into place? This obviously won't be a shutter fault, but it may not be in the camera's vocabulary if it is trying to tell you more than one thing at a time on start up.

If you've tried all technical things, and things such as firing the shutter on Continuous for some time to see if it clears any stickiness, go back to Mayfair and ask them to arrange the warranty work, it saves you the worry of postage etc.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

I tryied many different things to try to understand the issue. Changed lens, changed battery fully charged, change sd etc etc.

The technician at the Leica shop told me those cameras are particular. he told me it could be the battery fault not sending enough voltage he actually said it was because I had the shutter on 'discreet' and he said the current firmware has a bug with discreet mode? I'm totally confused :unsure:

The camera was a good deal for the price and I bought it from a camera shop and not a private seller. I can return it if I want but I wont be able to find another one for this price. I would rather send it to Wetzlar.

Also the battery seems to finish really quick...can't even do like 50 shots and die

Agree with Mano,  I would not waste another minute trying to figure it out.If you want to keep it send it in and try and strike a deal with the shop.

Otherwise the deal you got does not look too good. I would simply return it and look for another one in your place.

On battery life: are you sure you are using an original battery? Low battery current could give problems, although I am not sure if it could cause this.

The technician is talking b******s. There is no indication that the shutter on the MM, or indeed the MM itself is particular compared to any other Leica M. Technically it is just another M9.

As the OP noted, he got the camera on ebay, so any return would be to that seller, not Leica Mayfair. They may be able to tell him if any repair work is covered by warranty, though.

As a Leica dealer Leica Mayfair, or any other Leica dealer, can deal with any warranty repair on any Leica camera. You don't for instance need to take your car back to the exact dealer you bought it from for a warranty repair, you take it to the nearest to where you live. To get your money back you need to take or send the camera back to the same seller you bought it from.

Steve

Also the battery seems to finish really quick...can't even do like 50 shots and die

Have you tried it with another battery? 50 shots suggests that the battery is knackered (you should get 350 or more from the battery) and, in that state, could easily be behind an intermittent shutter fault. One other thought: are you experiencing the fairly well known (and, to my knowledge, unfixed) bug that occurs using discreet and continuous modes at the same time? You may be inadvertently flicking the on/off switch to continuous mode and locking the shutter up? That said, I'm not sure if that bug gives rise to an explicit "shutter error" or whether the camera just locks up until rebooted.

Hi guys, thanks for all the infos.

I tried different batteries and the issue is still there. Also tried the discreet shutter and all of them. I went to Mayfair again today and they took the camera. Apparently the 2nd curtain this time wasnt closing so they seen there is a fault. Now on the way to Wetzlar...I heard it may takes up to 2 months to get it back....gutted!!  :(  :(

• Like 2

But look on the bright side, it should be fully checked over while at Wetzlar and come back like a new camera again :)

Steve

Yes. That is the good thing! I'm just worried I have a trip to Los Angeles around Christmas time and I really want to bring the Monochrom with me. Really hope it's not as slow