Please Leica; a new firmware with focus peaking!

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have read several times the excellent article our friend Jono wrote about manual focusing on T, and "shimmer" as his solution. I have also been told about this technique by other friends.

But it just doesn't work for me!...

I love my T and I am using it only with half a dozen of manual lenses, and focusing with the excellent Visoflex or "Shimmer" technique are really not fast enough for street photography!... I have no doubt that "Focus Peaking" with colors could speed up my favorite hobby, the street photography!

So, please Leica; consider adding "Focus Peaking" to a new firmware. 

Some people are suggesting that Leica is ending the T line. If it is true, please leica, don't abandon those of us who have invested in this high priced camera!  

Focus peaking, along with a more robust mount, would also be of benefit to those of us who wish to use longer R glass with the T. The shimmer works, but with so much latitude that achieving critical focus is a matter of guesswork.  

Making the 6X "magnification" on the Visoflex would help as well, instead of having what now appears to be a digital extrapolation of the 3X magnification.

Back in May I sent a query to Leica about adding focus peaking to the T and received the reply that "it's not planned to do this."

Seeing as how Leica managed to get noticeably better raw image quality out of the IMX071 sensor than Sony (or Nikon) ever did, it seems that adding focus peaking wouldn't be a difficult step. The added feature would turn an eminently decent camera into a formidable, versatile working tool.

Edited by tntrue
  • Like 1

It would also be good if they could reduce the time lapse between LCD and the viewfinder in a future firmware!

BTW, the T App on IPhone is a complete failure!... It is not working at all!... I don't know if this is Leica or Apple who must make it usable!? The WIFI with 109 is perfect and working really well. Since Leica is "associated" with Panasonic; maybe they should learn something from them!

Edited by Louis2

Personally not so interested in focus peaking (which I understand is important for other users)  but for sure a firmware update would be a sign of commitment from Leica to the T system and maybe convince me to enter the system...

robert

It would also be good if they could reduce the time lapse between LCD and the viewfinder in a future firmware!

BTW, the T App on IPhone is a complete failure!... It is not working at all!... I don't know if this is Leica or Apple who must make it usable!? The WIFI with 109 is perfect and working really well. Since Leica is "associated" with Panasonic; maybe they should learn something from them!

T App works fine for me: make sure you do it in these steps, do not vary the order.

Create Hotspot on iPhone in Settings.

Switch on Wifi on camera and scan until connection established.

Open T app.

Thank you, Alex.

I managed to transfer my shots from T to my IPhone, but my IPhone screen is black when I want to take a shot and compose with IPhone; I can't see anything!

Is it normal or I have to do anything special?

Also, when I disconnect and turn off my IPhone, the shots disappear! I can't find them anywhere when I trun on!!

Thanks for any tip.

Louis

Edited by Louis2