Travel with Noctilux?

Sam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it about travel or using it while sightseeing? I have traveled with lenses three times bigger and two. And I have walked as the tourist with them on camera. It is called DSLR thing :).

Using of this particular lens on the street of busy cities is nothing silly at all. Here is one known user of this lens in San-Francisco. Vladimir Panasenko kit:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/464785624023861397/

What ND filter is everyone using?

B+W MRC (multicoated), 3 and 6 stops since I mostly used it on my Monochrom. Now that I have the M10 as well I will probably get a 2 stop filter also

Edited by joakim_d
  • Like 2

Yes you can travel with the Noct. Try it a few times for yourself and then find a way to deal with it in a way that you can be happy with. When I do travel with my Noct f1 it's not my primary lens but there are days when that's all I use. I cross sling and the lens sits in front of my left arm so I can move about comfortably and it doesn't feel like the lens is protruding so much that it will hit something (or someone!). Works for me. Personally I think it's pointless to own any lens if you can't/won't travel with it at all. 

• Like 3

When we were younger, we (with my wife) traveled around the world with our "advanced amateurs gears" : 2 x Ms and 2 x Rs with a couple of R/M lenses (even Telyt 400mm) + a bag full of Kodachrome.

Then the weight or volume of a Noctilux is kind of nothing added to the rest of "things we carried".

Change occured and now we are happy with less weight to travel lighter : something as 1/10th of what we used to.

No more SLR use for last decade.

But each time I took in my hands our Noctilux 1.0 , I "regret" not to use it more.

Maybe now a replacement lens is an old Canon LTM 1.2/50 that one doesn't hide 1/4 of the M viewfinder.

When the day comes that Nocti turns into a burden, I’ll swap it over to 50 Summilux ot Apo. It’s great we have such fantastic options in the 50 range.

Lesser aperture values, from exposure point of view, with these differences means nothing with todays cameras. What you miss is the super narrow dof wide open, but that’s only a fraction of the time.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Heading to Italy soon and very tempted to take the Noctilux 0.95. We'll be walking lots each day and it would either be mounted on the M240 or in a shoulder bag. I have lighter lenses but would love to utilize this lens' unique resolving character. Curious to know if others have traveled with this breast. 

Enjoyed shooting in Italy; lots of walking up and down hills, especially in the Positano area.  Don't have a Noctilux.  I do like breasts though!  lol

• Like 3

Personally, for travel I would take my 50 Summilux ASPH or APO-50 any day over my 1.0/50 Noctilux.

Same.   Do not want a .95 at all.  Maybe if I tried a current Noct instead of a 1989 version I would think differently,  

I am going for light and small.   35 ASPH,  50 2.0,  90 4.0 macro.  My 24 3.8 and 28 2.8 also meet criteria.

• Like 1

Is it about travel or using it while sightseeing? I have traveled with lenses three times bigger and two. And I have walked as the tourist with them on camera. It is called DSLR thing :).

Using of this particular lens on the street of busy cities is nothing silly at all. Here is one known user of this lens in San-Francisco. Vladimir Panasenko kit:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/464785624023861397/

I've seen Vladimir's work and recently had the pleasure of meeting him. He's a real character and he has his Noctilux modified in a really awesome way. Hard to experience explain but he basically has a home-made focus ring with literally hand-marked stops that allows him to zone focus for different subjects on the street. He's able to literally use his M2 and Nocti with just one hand this way! Fascinating guy and wonderful artist.

• Like 1

I've seen Vladimir's work and recently had the pleasure of meeting him. He's a real character and he has his Noctilux modified in a really awesome way. Hard to experience explain but he basically has a home-made focus ring

Good for him! I have had only modest experience with focus assists. Still working on them.

The most challenging was http://www.digoliardi.net/focus_assist_50mm.jpg

SK Grimes made this one http://www.digoliardi.net/focus-lever-leica/focus-lenver.jpg

I'm enamored by camera grip assists.

http://www.digoliardi.net/unusual-linhof-grip-2.jpg

Edited by pico

Reading this thread (always interesting) I still hold firm to my way of doing it.

ie. I take nearly everything, slightly controlled by where I am going, but cherry pick from my big bag to add today's gear to my little bag, or just go 'naked' with no bag. The Noctilux always gets a guernsey in my travel kit, but on my last OS trip, the Voigtlander 15mm Ver 111 was used for something like 70-90% of my total shoot! (around 3000 pics). I would never have predicted that and would have missed soooo much had I not included it.

You just don't know (mostly) what you will use, unless you are familiar with your destination.

As for the weight of the Noctilux. Just get over it, if you are serious about photography. But of course, it is your choice.

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I’ve done it for years. Firstly on M9. Then M9P. After that M240 and SL601. It is now parked on my TL2 and have no inclination to put it on anything else.

You can go to neilsphotography.co.uk I have many examples there

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Heading to Italy soon and very tempted to take the Noctilux 0.95. We'll be walking lots each day and it would either be mounted on the M240 or in a shoulder bag. I have lighter lenses but would love to utilize this lens' unique resolving character. Curious to know if others have traveled with this breast.

I took the 50 Noctilux ASPHto the UK last year and used it for about 45of my photography. I used the 28 Summicron ASPH for 45% and the 35 Lux FLE for about 10%.

The 35 could have been my only lens, but the Noct And 28 Cron made a fabulous pair and could have left the 35 at home.

I’ll be taking my M10 with the Noct and 28Cron to Japan in March, and nothing else.

I think you answered your own question. You like the Noctilux rendering, so use and enjoy. Bearing a bit of weight in a shoulder bag is nothing considering never knowing because you didn't have it.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2