D-Lux 109 ever ready case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am new to the forum (having acquired my 109 two days ago) and am looking for a good ERC.. but can't find one!There's a few on ebay and amazon but they look crude and clunky... the lens part looks really out of proportion. The only good ones I've seen are Italian and about 300 euros - much too much. I don't want a half-case (plenty of those around). Any ideas? (Am based in UK but going to NY next month) in case anyone knows of availability there... Thanks

Am new to the forum (having acquired my 109 two days ago) and am looking for a good ERC.. but can't find one!There's a few on ebay and amazon but they look crude and clunky... the lens part looks really out of proportion. The only good ones I've seen are Italian and about 300 euros - much too much. I don't want a half-case (plenty of those around). Any ideas? (Am based in UK but going to NY next month) in case anyone knows of availability there... Thanks

If you are looking for a case for just the 109 without the possibility to also store batteries or the flash the Lowepro Santiago DV 35 is strongly recommended:

http://store.lowepro.com/santiago-dv-35

It's by far the smallest solution with the additional advantage of highly effective protection due to the hard case design. I's a very tight fit - you even have to remove the internal pad for storing memory cards - but the result is convincing.

Andreas

The Leica cases 18821 & 18822 look interesting at first glance. Any problem with them?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks. 18821 means I have to take the camera out of the case to use it... rather than just flip the front section off. As for 18822... yes... that's the nearest but it looks looks like something made on Blue Peter using a toilet roll and cardboard, covered in felt. I know I'm picky but a camera as 'designed' as this needs a case commensurate. I had one for my D-Lux 6... there seem to be less available for the 109...

This is the nearest I found... but they don't ship to the UK (damn!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Real-Cow-Leather-Case-Cover-Bag-For-Leica-D-LUX-Typ-109-Brown-/181770870694?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Edited by marleigh99

I looked far and wide for a genuine (in the sense of function) ERC for my 109 and virtually gave up (didn't want a faux leather Chinese type) when by my local cameras shop was shown the Panasonic LX100 case, it is in fact made for the squarer body design of the 100 but it just needed a little "manipulation" at the left hand end to enable the 109 to fit perfectly fine, it's genuine leather, made brilliantly and works as an ERC should, best of all it only cost £55  ;)

I like much the Panasonic case that i own as well. It looks indeed very sturdy but it is made in Vietnam instead of China and i would not swear that it is genuine leather personally. Looks more like "PU leather" (polyurethane) to me... Anyway, i'm glad to have it and it was sold with a genuine battery and a leather strap when i bought it in UK last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Battery-DMC-LX100-Series-Camera/dp/B00NV5BA0K

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

If it's the genuine Panasonic case then it is real leather (says "leather" on the box) , although mine is a burgandy/brown colour.

Oh and another bonus with this case is the added "handgrip" bulge it provides over the smooth body of the 109. 

Edited by Boxbrownie

• 2 weeks later...

The Leica cases 18821 & 18822 look interesting at first glance. Any problem with them?

attachicon.gifLeica_DL109_case_18821.jpg

attachicon.gifLeica_DL109_case_18822.jpg

I have the 18822 (non leather lower one)

It is OK. I use it when I need more protection (travel etc). In a pinch you can take pictures without taking it off. The downside is that you need to unscrew it to take it off. It is good to have a coin with you at all times. But it is sturdy and protects the lens well, but not the sides.  I don't use a lens cap, but I have a B&W filter on the lens. Fits OK.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. 18821 means I have to take the camera out of the case to use it... rather than just flip the front section off. As for 18822... yes... that's the nearest but it looks looks like something made on Blue Peter using a toilet roll and cardboard, covered in felt. I know I'm picky but a camera as 'designed' as this needs a case commensurate. I had one for my D-Lux 6... there seem to be less available for the 109...

This is the nearest I found... but they don't ship to the UK (damn!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Real-Cow-Leather-Case-Cover-Bag-For-Leica-D-LUX-Typ-109-Brown-/181770870694?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I had exactly the same problem - bought my 109 early october 2015, but couldn't find a decent ever ready case for it.  The ebay offer you refer is indeed the nearest I found myself.  I ordered it, and received today.  It is really well made. Very near to Leica quality standards or even equal. It comes in two pieces, like the panasonic case, and also the battery is still accessible. BTW, they ship to worldwide - I had to wait three weeks for their shipment.  Really nice bag, exactly what I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found the leather Leica case to be impractical. I received the light brown leather case with my camera, but it can only be worn on a strap over the shoulder, and the strap is rather flashy (and cheap looking in my eyes) with its silver chromed clips. More important, since there is no belt loop on the back, you definitely need the shoulder strap. Finally, it permits only an attached hand-strap on the camera and I'm very found of the silk woven Artist & Artisan neck strap. So the Leica case remains unused in its box. Alternatively, I found the case by Gariz to be very good, either the half-case or the full-case. Just google pictures of the 'Gariz Leica D-Lux 109 case' and judge for yourself. I orderded the black half-case from Amazon in Germany and I'm very happy with it. Beautiful leather, wonderful crafsmanship.

Edited by Hansa

• 2 weeks later...