Can I use a different lens hood on a Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Infiniumguy

May I ask which polarizing filter you use? I ordered the B+W circular HTC MRC nano XS-Pro Digital and wondered whether I could use (turn) it with the original hood in its place.

I don't know what Infiniumguy uses, but I use a Marumi DHG Super Circular PL with my Q.  It took a bit of practice before I was able to regularly adjust the polarizer under the hood both without looking and without getting fingerprints on the filter.

@Infiniumguy

May I ask which polarizing filter you use? I ordered the B+W circular HTC MRC nano XS-Pro Digital and wondered whether I could use (turn) it with the original hood in its place.

I use a Carl Zeiss T* POL 49mm filter. I just installed it. It's quite easy to rotate with the hood installed by using an index finger into the corner of the hood. No prints on the glass. I bought the filter at B&H if my memory is accurate. It works well. My only caution as with any polarizer on a wide angle lens you have to be careful of getting big variations in sky from one side of the frame to the other.

• Like 1

Indeed, but what is the purpose of a ventilated hood on the Q anyway? There is no viewfinder to block...

You're right, my intention to get it was not about the ventilation but the fact that it is easier to use a polarizer with it. But after all I realized that the original is the far better design.

• Like 1

Leica Q hood is perfect IMHO.

28mm polarization often has exposure consistency issues across the frame... optical physics of polarizers.

Just received an inexpensive round vented hood that induced vignetting. The original hood is back on where it has been since frame #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SonomaBear

• 3 years later...