Can I use a different lens hood on a Q?

Since you enjoy customisation (me too),  I think you would have been very happy with the  M9 or similar.  I have both the M9-P and the Q but  the latter just doesn't have the looks or feel of the M's.    On my M9, I can fit aesthetically  good looking and functional Leica lenses from most manufacturing periods, plus those viewfinders, cable releases,  soft buttons that are available worldwide. 

Im happy with my Q because it gives me features that suit some of my activities, but I won't be giving up my black M9-P with its CCD sensor, cool writing and logo and superbly clad body.  I even enjoy the reassuring shutter re-cocking sound.  

Good luck.

• Like 3

Gordon you are right. I find the M cameras stunning pieces of industrial design. The M (as well as X series) is not far off. I'm not confident enough to get into the world of M yet hence why I have opted to get a Q. My most favourite design is this one (M3 i think?):

5489351057_c771406f2e_z_zpsdsf3xe38.jpg

Suffice to say I've already bought that type of viewfinder to put on the Q :D

I'm hoping I can change the lens hood of the Q to a different one. I dont think the current one does the M lens much justice (visually speaking).

Edited by likealot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would love to use a hood like the one that comes with the M-P 240 Safari (circular with holes along its perimeter). Is this possible and if so where would I be able to get one from?

Just buy a 49mm screw in hood on E-bay. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-Metal-Tilted-Vented-Lens-Hood-shade-for-Leica-M-LM-black-/370541120197?hash=item5645f8cac5

• Like 1

This 49mm hood is ok, but it screws into the lens where the filters normally fit so you will be stacking the hood on top of any filter you use, increasing the depth of the body + lens combined.    You might experience vignetting .  The correct leica hood fits to a thread on the outer rim of the lens. The result may be that the outer thread will be visible although the lens is supplied with a threaded cover ring that may or may not be able to remain on the lens with your alternative hood.   

its something to consider!  The appearance of the original lens with its hood is neater IMHO,  and manual focussing is easier with a constant width lens barrel rather than the stepped shape that the 49mm alternative hood will create.  

Edited by lucerne

This 49mm hood is ok, but it screws into the lens where the filters normally fit so you will be stacking the hood on top of any filter you use, increasing the depth of the body + lens combined.    You might experience vignetting .  The correct leica hood fits to a thread on the outer rim of the lens. The result may be that the outer thread will be visible although the lens is supplied with a threaded cover ring that may or may not be able to remain on the lens with your alternative hood.   

its something to consider!  The appearance of the original lens with its hood is neater IMHO,  and manual focussing is easier with a constant width lens barrel rather than the stepped shape that the 49mm alternative hood will create.  

Ah, right. In that case, if there's nothing that will fit the Q as it should then I might as well leave it as is. I'm sure I will have the chance to use a vented hood when I buy an M in the future. :)

Edited by likealot

Gordon you are right. I find the M cameras stunning pieces of industrial design. The M (as well as X series) is not far off. I'm not confident enough to get into the world of M yet hence why I have opted to get a Q. My most favourite design is this one (M3 i think?):

5489351057_c771406f2e_z_zpsdsf3xe38.jpg

Suffice to say I've already bought that type of viewfinder to put on the Q :D

I'm hoping I can change the lens hood of the Q to a different one. I dont think the current one does the M lens much justice (visually speaking).

the camera in the foto is a Leica IIIg  (last screwmount model, came out almost at the same time as the M3) 

• Like 1

So 49mm is the size needed. Thank you. Are the mounts from ebay a decent quality which would be in line with the quality of the Q body?

They are cheap enough to try, why not? The quality of these hoods is quite good.  It will look a bit strange to people that know about cameras, as the vents are to accommodate a rangefinder, though.

I have actually tried :) And the 49mm screw in hood does not give vignetting.

But it looks ridiculous. The camera is made to look its best with the original hood.

Just looks awkward in my opinion with the wented hood.

• Like 2

I put one these £3  hoods on my Zeiss 35 f/2 that I use on my M9 because the Zeiss hood has a complex fitting, is very expensive and difficult to obtain.  Lens is fine, but I really dislike the look of the combination on the camera.  It puts me off using the lens.    On the other hand, Leica bodies and accessories are carefully designed to to mate and look correct together.

as regards warranty, the risk you take is that a non-leica accessory may not be a precise 49mm thread or may have the wrong thread pitch.   That may damage the lens and that would be obvious to leica if you had to return the unit for removal of a jammed filter!  

Edited by lucerne

excuse me, but if the question is "I would love to use a hood like the one that comes with the M-P 240 Safari (circular with holes along its perimeter). Is this possible......", then a humoristic answer should be allowed !

I took your warranty answer as serious and thus was genuinely asking why a hood would affect the warranty. I didnt realise you were joking. A smiley helps to convey emotion in these cases. :)