Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

So no hope that my battered M9 will surf on a price hike, due to the new cover glass of the CCD-chip.

Owners of M9, which they kept as back-up body when they got their M240 will check meticulously. That will trigger their mailing to Wetzlar in many cases, after the first use in the last years. Their M9s will return to them from Wetzlar with a new chip, Leica papers and a box.

But at the same time a new M 2yz will be bought for Christmas 2015. So the M240 will become the backup.

"What to do with the old M9, that has just arrived back from Wetzlar with full paperwork, now that the new Leica optical rangefinder is here and I have my trusted M as a back-up? Let's see what my dealer offers me for this M9 body (fresh back from Wetzlar) as a trade-in / or flee-bay / or the clasified on our forum?"

So, no price hike for the M9, I'm afraid.

Not that I care, my M9 is my "Polaroid" :) I love film.

+ Buying and selling is a hassle and a waste of of time&nerves with some, though most folks on this forum's clasified are proper.

As a matter of fact, I think MP is... for people displaying it ("showing off" as the Americans say. Because it is not an old camera - it is an expensive camera made today à la carte = bespoken. and as every photographer knows: it is using expensive film). So I hang on to my three M6TTLs 0.85 (with MP range-finders). While the fellow Leicaners see the vulgar dot&M6 writing. And the time wheel is comfortably-big and turns like a digi-M and also like the arrows in the view-finder.

I'll keep my M6TTL 0.85 bodies for good.

"What camera do you have there?"

(Two bodies always in the bag. Yes, they fit in the Leica black Bilingham!)

"It's a mass product from the turn of the century. And it's film." "Film?!?" "Yeah, old stuff, worth nothing these days. I just hang on to it :) "

Plus the not pretty M9 P("olaroid" no, it's not a P.) Just an old used M9, with a new sensor to be fited-in in 2016.

Edited by tri

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, color rendition is almost the same. Leica asked me to test the new sensor and the test was positive. Look in the German Forum for details. I asked the admin for a translation, because my english is too bad.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249568-leica-m9-korrosion-sensoraustausch-m9-m9-p-und-m-e-beginnt/?do=findComment&comment=2880512

Elmar

www.ElmarStreyl.de

Thank you Elmar. Excellent and diligent write up, I'm afraid I was much less conscientious than you on my testing, and I didn't have the opportunity to to "before " tests.

However, I did come to the same conclusion that the colour is as good as ever, and it was lovely to go back and shoot with my gorgeous old M9 (one of the very first)

• Like 1

Thank You, Jono. You are the intuitive type of tester, Im am the systematic type. Both ways of testing have their right. But sometimes I would like to be more intuitive.

Elmar

Hi Elmar

I'm a scientist by training, but I'm always worried

that careful, repeatable tests of cameras and

lenses can only relate to the scene in question, and in this day and age when all cameras take good quality images that becomes more and more of an issue.

Added to which It's so easy to miss something important.

This is my excuse for being lazy :)

• Like 1

Hi Elmar

I'm a scientist by training, but I'm always worried

that careful, repeatable tests of cameras and

lenses can only relate to the scene in question, and in this day and age when all cameras take good quality images that becomes more and more of an issue.

Added to which It's so easy to miss something important.

This is my excuse for being lazy :)

Never excuse for laziness! We are all too busy.

Elmar

is there somewhere a thread where you can post pictures if you're not sure whether this is dust or corrosion?

It may not matter what you think, a visit to a Leica Boutique service centre who will make the decision may be the best way to proceed.

There seem to be two characteristics of corrosion, which I don't know if they represent different manifestations or different stages. One, which I have on my M9 replacement sensor at the moment, looks like worm tracks across a sky image or as I use, the image by using an Expodisc to get a blank. The other type, which I had on my M9 in 2012 can be seen directly on the sensor with a loupe and looks like white spots, which don't clean off, with a wet clean. They appear as dark spots on an image with a halo round them. 

Everyone agree?

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello list!

I think my M9 having a signs of corrosion after carefully checking... not bad but it happen... about 10 spots (not black spot)

I am in US, I tried to email Leica  a few times, they are either not response or 1 response saying that they are supporting software only (?)

Are they that busy or I sent to a wrong department or region?

Can somebody provide a correct contact for this particular problem so I can try again?

Thanks and have a nice day everyone!

Regards

Sonny