Q Lens Cap Problem

Yes. The inner lining of the cap is very poorly done.I have replaced it with a neoprene HOOD HAT-PK from OP/TECH USA. Fits perfectly and gives very good protection

I hope you're right ... just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up  :)

That sounds like the one I haver too, it's definitely Op/Tech.  If you get the right sized one, it fits remarkably well, basically covers the entire lens.

Here's a link to Op-Tech's 'hood hat' sizing chart:

http://optechusa.com/skin/frontend/optechusa/.../Hood_Hat_Sizing_Chart.pdf

Do you happen to remember what size?  I'm guessing the 'micro' size (49mm lens thread), with pancake-micro or 'regular' micro, depending on one's personal preference for hat length?

Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope you're right ... just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up  :)

Micky

ive tried to find the Op/tech Hood PK specified in this post, but can't.   It's for pancake depth lenses. Who in the uk is offering it. Thanks.

Edited by lucerne

Just went on Amazon and ordered  .... trusting their 'returns policy'  ;)

I tried the optech one...too large.

The Tiffen Zing is better IMHO as it just wraps around the entire camera.

Edited by Rapierwitman

This is the OP/TECH 3" Mini Hood Hat...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Strange .... this is my PK Mini Hood Hat  8001362

i-fVhxVW4-L.jpg

Not quite sure about it, not very deep. 

Out for a walk in the country later today ... I'll go and see how it works 'in the field' so to speak!

(Photo taken by my Leica D-Lux 5)

Hi Micky,

I think that OpTech sells two types of 'mini' models -- the PK (pancake -- shallow depth of ~ 1"), and the 'regular' mini (no depth specified in their catalog, but obviously > 1" depth).  The PK model is supposed to have more interior 'grip' to prevent slipping off pancake lenses ...

Your pic and Maslin's pic both look good ... they're just different models!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Micky,

I think that OpTech sells two types of 'mini' models -- the PK (pancake -- shallow depth of ~ 1"), and the 'regular' mini (no depth specified in their catalog, but obviously > 1" depth).  The PK model is supposed to have more interior 'grip' to prevent slipping off pancake lenses ...

Your pic and Maslin's pic both look good ... they're just different models!

Cheers!

Many thanks mcausus  ... the shallow one that I received from Amazon will be going back.  It doesn't fit very secure and easily comes off in the camera bag, especially when taking the camera out. I think the deeper one that  Maslin photograph shows would be much better, both for staying on, protection ... and even keeping the dust out of the joints in the lens twisty bits  :rolleyes:

I didn't see the shorter model when I ordered from Amazon UK, so it was only by luck that I got the longer one  :)

The only small area of concern I have is grip. Whilst it is not a loose fit, it is not especially tight either and if it stretches or loosens over time there may be an issue there in the future. I'd be interested to know how snug a fit the next size down would be, or whether it would be too tight, but not to the extent of buying one myself to find out. 

What I am thinking of doing is experimenting with attaching the hood to the camera, probably to the strap mount, with a small lanyard of some sort, so that when the camera is in use it can just dangle freely below and I don't have to worry about losing it when it is not protecting the lens.

Edited by Masklin

I didn't see the shorter model when I ordered from Amazon UK, so it was only by luck that I got the longer one  :)

What I am thinking of doing is experimenting with attaching the hood to the camera, probably to the strap mount, with a small lanyard of some sort, so that when the camera is in use it can just dangle freely below and I don't have to worry about losing it when it is not protecting the lens.

Ha ha .... I didn't see the longer one when I ordered from Amazon  :rolleyes:

Sent mine back and ordered the longer one...

Yes, that could be a good idea. I don't use a neck strap, merely a wrist strap. Will have a look at securing the Optech lens cap to the free camera strap mounting! 

First one one up with a photo gets a prize  :wacko:

The only small area of concern I have is grip. Whilst it is not a loose fit, it is not especially tight either and if it stretches or loosens over time there may be an issue there in the future. I'd be interested to know how snug a fit the next size down would be, or whether it would be too tight, but not to the extent of buying one myself to find out.

Measuring the Q's lens hood (2.5" diameter), the size is right at the edge of the micro (2"-2.5") and mini (2.5"-3") spec'ed diameters.  I've ordered the mini (didn't want to 'struggle' with removal or installation of this 'hat'), so your first-hand experience is great to know.

LensCoat also makes something similar for the Q (XX small being spec'ed between 2.25"-2.75" in diameter),  I recall someone posting an online review saying that the material was thinner than OpTech's.  Apart from having an additional front protective insert, however, I have no first-hand knowledge of how the two company's products compare.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got my replacement cap: not sure there is a diference... I put it on and will see with use.

Since then I have used it with no special care and it is still intact. Let's hope this will last!!!