Q Lens Cap Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my Q for 6 weeks now. I've used it quite a bit, and not been that impressed by the results. Anyway, this is a different issue - the Lens Cap has developed a problem. The material on the inside of the cap (around the edge) has come loose - it looks like it is just glued to the metal, and obviously it is rubbed hard every time the cap is put on the camera or removed. It has now reached the stage that the cap doesn't stay on the camera properly, in fact often if the material gets bunched up as I put the cap on it almost pushes the cap back off.

I'd put a photo up, but I'm not sure how to.

Am I the only one with this problem? It looks like a very poor design.

• Like 1

I've had my Q for 6 weeks now. I've used it quite a bit, and not been that impressed by the results. Anyway, this is a different issue - the Lens Cap has developed a problem. The material on the inside of the cap (around the edge) has come loose - it looks like it is just glued to the metal, and obviously it is rubbed hard every time the cap is put on the camera or removed. It has now reached the stage that the cap doesn't stay on the camera properly, in fact often if the material gets bunched up as I put the cap on it almost pushes the cap back off.

I'd put a photo up, but I'm not sure how to.

Am I the only one with this problem? It looks like a very poor design.

Haven't got that problem yet but I suspect I eventually will.   There have been at least two other reports of the same component weakness.   However, I've owned canon lenses which came with push-on covers. The EF15 was one, and I had exactly the same problem.   Some earlier Leitz M39 fit lenses also had push-fit covers that lost their linings.  I'm not sure how the problem is going to be solved.  I did experiment with some rubber linings but they have to be so fine that they too detach.  In the end I may decide to hunt down an alternative plastic cover of suitable dimensions.    Practically speaking, I'd rather not take a cover out with me because I tend to lose accessories like these.

Funnily enough, on one occasion I returned to a fair-ground to find an Olympus cap that I thought I'd lost.   I found a cap, but when I got home I also found my original at the bottom of my bag.   So who else lost an identical Olympus cap that day?  

Edited by lucerne

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Black felt on black metal doesn't show up too well, but here goes.

Is the cover really needed?  A 49mm filter and the lens hood are adequate protection.

Agreed! But it should be a high grade filter such as the B+W XS Pro MRC Nano (ref1066103). That's a clear glass version.

I would send it back to Wetzlar.

If you make a call in advance to agree on a date, they might be able to fix it within 3 weeks!

Ha! That quick?

I'm taking it in to Mayfair today to see what they say.

Probably I'll have to buy a 49mm filter, and just use the cap when in transit rather than taking it on and off repeatedly.

They must have fired all "real" Leica engineers and must have forgotten all lessons learned.

Because I think Leitz/Leica always had good hood and cap solutions.

Summiting in form of the built in extendable Version of the latest Summilux 50 for instance.

I think the large barrel of the Q Summilux could accommodate this solution.

And caps: the cap of my 1960 Elmar 50 has a velvet lining and it is still in place (better glues available back then?)....

Mine only lasted a week before it was useless. I replaced the felt tape on the interior myself, and it lasted another two weeks or so. My solution has been to use the camera without the hood, adding a standard 49mm lens cap. Not ideal, though. 

Odd oversight for such a well-designed and expensive camera.

• 4 months later...

I have the Q since beginning september and developped same problem with the cap after a 2 months use. Send it back to Leica Portugal and they replaced it, should receive the new cap next week.

Hope it is not the same otherwise I am affraid this might happen again, what is unthinkable for such an expensive cam...

I have had the Q approximately 6 weeks and have not had a problem with the lens cap lining. I leave the hood on all the time and put the cap on the hood when the camera is put away. I tried a 49mm Leica snap on cap, but I had to remove the hood to put it on and take it off.

I too had this happen to my Q's lens cap after only a couple of months.

Solved it by finding a plastic Leica 65mm lens cap in my "dead camera things" drawer and that fitted perfectly. I am not sure which lens this came off of, but it's from a while ago.

In fact I prefer the plastic to the original metal cap.

An Ebay search bought up a number of 65mm caps, all cheap.

As for the one that's failed I will await whatever "solution" Leica may have for this then get the original metal cap's problems addressed.

There is another problem with the cap, which I only noticed recently on a very bright, sunny day, when I looked at the front of the lens in sunlight.

The flocking of the velvet lining produces a very fine sprinkling of tiny hairs on the front element (or filter in my case.) Easily cleaned off, but I wasn't aware of it for ages and never thought that this might happen.

So, not only is the velvet lining prone to come unstuck, but it actually creates dust at the same time as one is expecting it to protect the lens from dust! :o

I've so far manged to keep my cap's lining intact by being really careful when attaching it, but feel that some alternative should be introduced by Leica. It simply isn't well designed.

Tim

• Like 1

I just realised this morning that my Fuji X10 has a metal cap with a felt lining. I've had this camera for maybe four years or more, ( can't recall exactly ), and it's been bashed around as a general grab-it snapshot camera, dumped in the car glove box or stuffed into a pocket when I didn't want to carry anything larger, it's not been coddled at all by any means.

It hasn't even got a protective case.

The cap still fits perfectly, the felt is all totally in place and there's no "shedding"…………So I guess it is technically possible to make a metal lens cap that works just fine.  

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

They replaced mine, but two months I am waiting. I know: Portugal is an end of Europe!!!

The new cap arrived to the store and they told me on the phone that the inside is improved. As I am travelling I will get it within 12 days, I will come back here then for comment.