Your preferred JPEG-Settings?

TK!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

anyone out working with the JPEGs from the Q? I would be interested in your preferred JPEG-settings as I am still not happy with the colours I get.

Best wishes

- TK

(Yes, seems finally I will switch to RAWs. Anyway, sometimes out of the camera JPEGs is what you want.)

TK.

The settings for JPEG within the menu of the Q are unlikely to make your files more likeable because they only affect contrast, saturation and sharpness and don't really impact on colours. The way to go is to shoot RAW.  You can set Lightroom to apply some adjustments on import, or else (as I do),  set every Lightroom preset to zero and you will be able to work each image from that point.   If you develop a preferred profile that you want to apply initially to every image, then save it, and Lightroom can automatically apply it to every image on import.    

Hope that helps.

Edited by lucerne

I am very interested in the Q.

However, Im not a post processing guy. If I don't get it in the "box" I really don't want to tweak after the shot. An analog guy in  a digital world.

FUJI jpeg has worked well for this purpose.

Im a bit skeptical about the Q since I read that the jpeg performance isn't very good.

Can anyone help me out with this?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a Fuji switcher who mostly shot JPEGs with occasional in-camera RAW conversions to tweak exposure. I'm very happy with the change. Comparing my Q to my X-Pro1, I found these settings to most closely match Fuji's "Provia" JPEGs (and also Adobe's standard RAW conversions):

Contrast Low

Saturation Medium low

Sharpness Standard

...but I agree with most of the others here that Adobe's conversions usually give the best results, especially with skin tones. The ideal workflow to avoid processing is to just import the RAWs into Lightroom then immediately export them as JPEGs without changing anything.