Sony Fans: Show your Sharp Corners with M & R Wides

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the title says, with 12mm to 35mm M and R lenses on full frame digital bodies. 

With details in the corners please.

Here with an early R 28/2.8 on my 8 y/o 5D1. 

I suspect i won't see much sharper results out of your Sony Gameboys but i may be wrong.

(warning: provocation) :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

There are 2 of mine there near the end of the thread, of Harwich and Alesund, with the 21mm Elmarit asph . I think they are 'sharp', certainly look good at A3 on the wall. I think the Elmarit asph needs one stop down more than on film to get the equivalent result.

Gerry

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having had the A7r, the real test will be the 28 Summicron ASPH with the A7rII.

Michael Reichman (over on LuLa) suggests that this is the closest all purpose camera yet (capable of taking any lens from any manufacturer). I love my Leica lenses, but I am also familiar with the fundamental limitations of the M system. There is a place for an AF camera (I'd probably only have one AF lens) which does all the things I don't want my M to try to do. 

Is it the A7rII, or is it Leica's new system; or do I return to the T (which I rather miss, despite the shutter blackout). 

Performance with wides is critical - Distagon 15/2.8 ZM, Summicron 28, Summilux 21 would be great ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

Here is the 28 cron on original A7 with Kolari mod at f/8:

15824418674_de9a813ed9_b.jpg

a7m_28cron_f8 by unoh7, on Flickr

shots with closer details in the foreground or corners can be very misleading as the sensors cause a curvature of field and if the corner is real close, while lens is focused on a distant center, the corner may look good.

The problems are worst at infinity, and lessen as you close focus. Hence as judge of M lens on Sony, only infinity shots really tell.

Here is the SEM 21 at F/4!

16445988032_38c5e7c9d2_b.jpg

a7m_sem21_f/4 by unoh7, on Flickr

Both lenses are simply excellent on the A7.mod. Unusable on any stock Sony if you care about edges on your landscapes.

Funny enough the ZM 35/2 which was modified into a Loxia, is greatly improved but not at the level of the 2 lenses above on the A7 mod:

16445166861_9f45c1c6b2_b.jpg

a7m_zm35-2_f8 by unoh7, on Flickr

The Elmarit 28 v3, which my M9 hates, is really not bad on the Sony:

16716728471_3793e8b3f4_b.jpg

A7M_M28V3_f8 by unoh7, on Flickr

What is the Kolari mod? Most of you know, but they strip off the thick cover glass over the sensor and replace it with a thinner version for 400USD. Performance on any lens designed for film is improved. Pretty fast turn around. AF still works fine. Performance on the FE 35 and 55 lenses is very slightly degraded.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 3

Thanks uhoh7. The issue was the A7r, and the question is, is the issue still there with version 2.

I owned the R and returned it. Issues are worse with the original R.

The new R2 is actually worse with some lenses and better with others. But not very much. That's because they have stuck with the thick cover glass.

However there is huge confusion on the point at the moment because some "good" samples, are as I described above. Far centers and close corners.

The exception is the CV 15 v3. It outperforms the 1635 over 80% of the frame, but not on the edges and the deep corners still smear. We hope the new CV 35/1.7, a total redesign, will also be decent on the stock cameras like the r2.

Edited by uhoh7

Apparently not, the thin part of the BSI sensor is well under the coverglass. I also hoped it would be better, not that I was going to drop 3k on a Sony, but just because so many friends have.

Again, there are mixed reports, but when you follow the leads from those which claim it's better, the evidence is not there. They just don't make a proper test shot for the issue.

• Like 1

I am mightily impressed by those who can see anything of sharpness (or other IQ parameters for that matter) on a 205 MB JPG image... :rolleyes:

Oh, I don't know. The crop in LCT's first post is pretty informative, don't you think?

People sharing crops online is helpful. My issues with the A7r were far greater than smeary corners. I don't think I'll be going back there. What I'm looking for is a compliment to my M cameras - AF, live view, zoom (perhaps - never liked zooms much, but I have always been tempted by the 28-90 R zoom, but then why? This is core M territory).

The M is perfect for me between 28 & 90, if I take the time. A run-and-gun alternative, which can take my 28 Summicron as well, do macro, and perhaps a very good AF Tele (I like photographing birds and my son kiting etc) would be perfect. Standing waist deep in the tide with a 90 Summicron on my Edition 60 just doesn't feel right.

I'm told Leica has been listening ...

• Like 1

I am mightily impressed by those who can see anything of sharpness (or other IQ parameters for that matter) on a 205 MB JPG image... :rolleyes:

You can certainly get some idea, and the nature of the image will show whether the person doing the 'tests' actually understands the problems.

Diligent 'research' here (and elsewhere, especially Fred Miranda,getdpi, and Jim Kasson's blog) will reveal a relatively small number of people who have the resources of time and equipment, plus the expertise to explore the problems in a meaningful way. Their summaries and explanations are what really gives an idea of what can be done.

Gerry

Edited by gyoung
  • Like 1

Thank you much. Those excerpts sound pretty fair though :

« I would recommend the Sony 28mm f/2 over the Leica as depending on how you focus (infinity or up close) there could be some soft corners…

« The 35 Summicron also shows no magenta colors, edges or problems unless you are shooting something like a sweeping landscape using infinity focus, which is where you will see the softness/smearing on the sides of the frame. »

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/08/31/the-sony-a7rii-camera-review-a-real-world-look/

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of images taken with my R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 lens and my tripod mounted Sony A7r.

The first image was set to approximately f8 and the second to f11; the 2nd image also used a Singh-Ray Lighter Brighter Color Combo Polarizing filter.

Rich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1