Q or Q type FF body with interchangeable AF lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

?? explain

I think you're confusing technology and appearance.  There have been SLR cameras with viewfinders on the side.  A shutter speed dial can be dedicated to shutter speed alone or it can be a multi-fuction, multi-mode dial.  Has nothing to with where where it's placed or what it looks like.  For example the S type 007 dial - it's in the same place and looks pretty much the same as the S2 and S type 006 dial but it's function has changed.

Maybe.. But I can LOOK at the shutter dial on the S-006. You see it, it performs a function. I say it's aesthetically pleasing and also helps me to change the shutter quickly by feel. And easily when shooting from the hip (M series). For small cameras, I also find that having the viewfinder in the center compromises my hand position, compromises my comfort. But having it off to the side allows me to use it without discomfort. AND makes me look cool with my other eye open looking at the subject (which also provides function). 

Also the look of the shutter dial, when seen by people who don't know much about cameras. See it as being an old camera, because DSLRs which dominate the market, don't have them anymore. So it's "film like" appearance allows me to shoot people who let their guard down. Because the worry of their image going on the internet, is lessened. Actually the whole camera helps to create that impression for my subjects. So the aesthetics of the camera, directly impact the way I use it, the way people perceive it, therefor the way my photos turn out. 

Maybe.. But I can LOOK at the shutter dial on the S-006. You see it, it performs a function. I say it's aesthetically pleasing and also helps me to change the shutter quickly by feel. And easily when shooting from the hip (M series). For small cameras, I also find that having the viewfinder in the center compromises my hand position, compromises my comfort. But having it off to the side allows me to use it without discomfort. AND makes me look cool with my other eye open looking at the subject (which also provides function). 

Also the look of the shutter dial, when seen by people who don't know much about cameras. See it as being an old camera, because DSLRs which dominate the market, don't have them anymore. So it's "film like" appearance allows me to shoot people who let their guard down. Because the worry of their image going on the internet, is lessened. Actually the whole camera helps to create that impression for my subjects. So the aesthetics of the camera, directly impact the way I use it, the way people perceive it, therefor the way my photos turn out. 

Is this configuration or appearance?  Personally neither matters much to me as long as I can hold the camera comfortably.  The center viewfinder works better for me because either eye may be dominant at various times.  Left was dominant for many years; right is now.

Edited by wildlightphoto

I read your review on the S 007 a couple days ago! Really beautiful photos, I only recently started shooting with the S2 but I can already see the giant step between the two. Was sorry to read about the issues with video - thought it might be a serious alternative to the other cameras out there if some cine lenses were built for the mount, but if you can't move the camera while shooting because of rolling shutter then you have a problem.

It cannot be used handheld. I think slow deliberate movements are ok. A gyro-stabilised system, prefocus, preplanned slow movements and a lot of skill will get you good shots. But with all that, add some lighting and anything will get you good shots. As far as the shakiness is concern, I know the same could be said about all cameras.. But some are easier to run and gun then others.  

But using the video function on the S compared to even the M, is a chore. Much better video options out there. I'm sure quite a few people will produce stellar clips with it. I'm just not going to bother. MAYBE corporate interviews the odd time I have to do them. But doubtful as I like using two cameras one CU and one Medium.

And I've said it in my review, but I'll say it again. The 50APO would make a killer video lens. I'd watch a movie filmed with that lens, for the beauty of the lens alone.

Yeah I'm sure it's possible to get good locked of shots but I was thinking more along the line of driving shots or quick pans. If a movie camera at that price point can't do those things then there's not really a point in investing in it from a filmmaking point of view. The video clip I saw on Leica Rumors was pretty darn good quality wise but the look coming from the S lenses wasn't very cinematic. Too short of a focus pull to get that nice smooth transition you get from cine lenses.

Is this configuration or appearance?  Personally neither matters much to me as long as I can hold the camera comfortably.  The center viewfinder works better for me because either eye may be dominant at various times.  Left was dominant for many years; right is now.

Actually I'm left eye dominant. I find that I focus DSLRs with my left eye. 

But I focus my RF with my right eye. It just works better that way. 

And I'm definitely left eye dominant, other then the obvious ways to test, I also play w/bow & arrows and I'm back to being left eye dominant. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well back to the subject of this thread. I had a look these days at Panasonic latest the GX8 in a preview of dpreview. This camera reminds me of the Digilux 2

(except for the grip) and is considerably larger than the GX7. Why? Only for MFT?

One could suggest, put a T bayonet and the sensor of the Q on it. The camera is already there. New AF lenses!!!!

Just my few thoughts.