How long until new firmware?

I'm almost certain they're using the JPEG for on-screen rendering. I have the JPEG setting at the smallest and it doesn't take long to zoom in and see pixelation.

Maybe but the Leica M, my Sony's  (a7s, A7rIi, RX100 III) and even my now ancient Panasonic LX4 can't shoot RAW only so I don't see why a state of the art camera like the Q can't. OK so I can sort it easily by shooting at the smallest jpeg setting and I have a preset in Lr6 that gets rid of them all at import but still it's a pain

Yes, the JPEG is used much like a high-res JPEG preview embedded within the DNG file would, except that it is available as a separate file. This has been Leica’s policy with the X1, X2, X Vario, X (Typ 113), T, and Q. It isn’t likely that they would suddenly recant after 5 years and change that.

Okay but all the same the Sony A7's give a high res preview without having to have a separate file so it must be technically possible though if this is how they have worked it up till now then I suppose it is unlikely to change. Pity but not the end of the world as there are other more important things I would like to see implemented

Okay but all the same the Sony A7's give a high res preview without having to have a separate file so it must be technically possible

From a technical perspective it doesn’t make much of a difference whether you embed a high-res preview into the DNG or you store it as a separate file. One could argue that a separate file is both more useful (if like me you have use for a JPEG file) and easier to get rid of (if you do not).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the JPEG is used much like a high-res JPEG preview embedded within the DNG file would, except that it is available as a separate file. This has been Leica’s policy with the X1, X2, X Vario, X (Typ 113), T, and Q. It isn’t likely that they would suddenly recant after 5 years and change that.

Personally the JPEG doesn't bother me, and having it as a separate file rather than embedded in the RAW is an advantage...but I would like to say that any company in 2015 that has the attitude that because our policy for the past 5 years is "X", that we refuse to "recant" and change the way we design or implement our technology is destined to fail. Furthermore any company today that has the attitude that the way things were done in the past is best and does not innovate and constantly come up with solutions to improve their designs will no longer be relevant in the future. The Q is a sign that Leica gets this. So to say that giving us a DNG only option is not possible because of a "policy" is just plain nonsense.

Personally I don't allow the words "can't" in my office. It restricts creativity and innovation. Anything is possible, and closing our mind to different ways or options is a sure way to fail.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2