M8, rangefinder mechanism, stupidity, and blind hogs.

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stupidity: An incapacity, or unwillingness, to learn from experience.

In my particular case, evidence of stupidity can be traced throughout my life by noting my willingness- despite knowing better- of trying to repair or alter things, about which 1) I have only rudimentary understanding and 2) have inadequate tools for the job.

Today, though, Stupid Wayne got a break….. It happens sometimes.

After beginning to feel a bit of despair concerning soft focus with use of my M8 (and beginning to wonder if my eyesight was just not suited to the task) I found a thread wherein do-it-yourself adjustment of the rangefinder mechanism was discussed and explained. I did truly fight the urge; and struggled with my inner demons in order to convince myself that true wisdom dictated  I exercise caution, arm myself with patience, and accept the fact that the camera should go to Leica for a professional rangefinder check and adjustment…..Though inconvenient; it was the smart thing to do.

Then, the following thoughts: “Hey, I do have the proper type screwdriver and right size allen wrench in the tool box;” and “Who is to say that the same guy that sent this camera out- it had only 5000 actuations when I bought it-  improperly adjusted will not send it back improperly adjusted?;” and, finally, “What can it hurt to try,? I am already unable to focus the thing….If I screw it up, the Germans will just have to adjust it a bit more than they otherwise would have.”

So I went for it.

Wow! It worked. Infinity focus is now good, and I cannot believe how much sharper the images are. I am definitely hooked now. It was fun when the images were close to being in focus. Now, it’s like I imagined it would be.

Unfortunately, I cannot claim any real technical competence…Even a blind hog finds a nut every once in a while.

What a great forum.   

• Like 5