Raw/DNG histogram with zone system markings

Manicouagan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought I had explained what "was going on"?

Also I have not seen any mentioning of the histogram being based on the raw file now that I have researched the matter, can't even find it on B&H. The only mentioning of it that I've seen is in a comment to an on-line review.

... can't even find it on B&H. 

Now I can't find the reference either.....could have sworn I read, but might have confused with first MM iteration description.

Leica made a big deal about this with original MM; the fact that we can't find mention on the M246 suggests to me that it's a typical JPEG histogram.  Curious.

A PM to 'mjh' would probably answer this quickly.

Jeff

• 2 years later...

My understanding is it has been confirmed that the histogram is only based on the JPG.

Is the histogram a useful guide then in any way when out in the field? I'm still waiting for my M246 to arrive but planning my first trip.

It seems that maybe setting everything to 'standard' or neutral (I forget what they call it) could still approximate what the DNG histogram will be and still be useful as someone mentioned earlier. Does this work or is the histogram way off?

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My understanding is it has been confirmed that the histogram is only based on the JPG.

Is the histogram a useful guide then in any way when out in the field? I'm still waiting for my M246 to arrive but planning my first trip.

It seems that maybe setting everything to 'standard' or neutral (I forget what they call it) could still approximate what the DNG histogram will be and still be useful as someone mentioned earlier. Does this work or is the histogram way off?

I can confirm on my MM1 when the histogram chnages from jpeg to dng it is measurably different.

I think the answer is yes, a jpeg histogram is still useful when out in the field. after all a standard/neutral jpeg will not give you false information, it represents less data than a raw histogram but that data is neither false nor dangerous since there is more data on the sensor. I would suggest though that you also use the clipping review feature. I find that to also be quite useful in conjunction with the histogram.

I thought I had explained what "was going on"?

Also I have not seen any mentioning of the histogram being based on the raw file now that I have researched the matter, can't even find it on B&H. The only mentioning of it that I've seen is in a comment to an on-line review.

It is in the MM1 manual, but can't recall the page.