Deleterious effect of pixel peeping on rangefinder newbie.

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have owned my M8 for a few weeks now and am enjoying the experience. Unfortunately, prior to owning and using this rangefinder, I got caught up in the resolution/pixel peeping rush that is modern digital photography. It is a hard habit to break.

I find that I enjoy the M8 images that appear on the screen of my MacBook (Retina), but, when I delve into the pixels it is: "OMG, the focus is so soft." Then, I go back to full screen, view the whole image again, and find that it is not so bad.....viewed from that perspective.

Is it just the natural order of things that focus through use of a rangefinder patch will typically be less sharp than focus performed with modern digital cameras, using the latest autofocus technology and/or manual focus aids, such as peaking? In those instances where you do get razor sharp focus, through use of a rangefinder, does it always involve just a bit of luck?

I add the photos below to illustrate my point/question. Exported photos are less sharp than the original JPEGs. taken with M8 using 28 2.8 Elmarit. Focus point 1)was windows os house in middle 2) dog under tree. Sharpening set to 0. No PP.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Files from M8 should be as sharp as they get. If you have the Elmarit 28mm ASPH lens it is one of the sharpest.

Could be that JPEG settings in camera are on the conservative side compared to settings in some DSLR's. To get the best result from the M8 DNG files are recommended.

Concerning your examples...

In photo 2 it looks to me as if the mail box in the front is more in focus than the dog. So are you sure you focused this right?

Even in image it looks to me that focus is more before the barn than behind it.

When in doubt, you could use a zone focus. Set your lens to F8, put it on the approximate distance on the scale and shoot without using the range finder. Medium distances of 5-10 meters max are preferred for the first tests.

If that is sharp where expected, at least you have proof that your sensor and lens are in good condition.

After that, use the rangefinder to focus with lens wide open.  Check if the scale of the lens agrees with your estimate of the distance. If not, you might have a rangefinder issue with either lens or camera.

Edited by dpitt

I am assuming that the Elmarit is the non ASPH version that was designed fo rcolour film emulsions and not for digital sensors.  As a result it is probably back focussing on the M8 and if this is the case you will need to get it adjusted for the M8  .I have come across this problem with a 50 Summicron which was stunningly sharp on a M6 but noticably soft on my M8. I have since adjusted it myself and it in now fine.  Refer to my posts on this forum on this subject.

Regards

Doug

Thanks for the comments. It is a non ASPH lens. AND, I have wondered if it was back focusing. In many images of subjects closer to the camera, e.g.. something fairly flat on a table top, the subject will be slightly out of focus, while the table top is tack sharp.

I wear glasses, bifocals, and was just outside experimenting with the lens and camera. Holding the camera a bit further away from the lens of my glasses seemed to result in considerable improvement in focus accuracy. Previously, I had been holding the camera eyepiece very close to my glasses; coming in contact with them in some cases.

As my M3 is probably still at least six months away from coming back from CLA, I am considering buying an M4 or M6. I guess I better not mess with the 28 Elmarit until I see how it performs on a film camera.

Thanks again.

Edited by Wayne