What not to do with a Leica Q

sls

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... go flying off a quad bike in the Indonesian jungle with your Leica Q strapped to your back.

It's a long story, but I found myself tumbling down a 60 degree track, partly covered with very old and slippery asphalt.

The lens cap was on and I think I landed on that first. I then shredded the base of the half-case.

Amazingly, the Q still seems to work fine, the lens cap has lost a bit of paint, but otherwise I can't find anything wrong. It rattles, but it always had a slight rattle.

The half-case proved its worth. It appears to have some metal in the base, that protected it from damage.

I am a little concerned about its susceptibility to dust. Most of the jungle was fine dirt track, the Q got covered in it. It's been a long day and this morning it got covered in volcanic dust going up Mt Batur. I'm worried that the macro thing can push dust inside.

I'll post an image just to prove the experience was worthwhile.

Here's a few BEFORE (the dirty ones) and AFTER (cleaned up).

20161816383_a9c945262b_z.jpgL1010456 by Steven S, on Flickr

20594780528_b3cc88699f_z.jpgL1010455 by Steven S, on Flickr

After:

20773340692_b8e9b6d8a9_z.jpgL1010460 by Steven S, on Flickr

20594779718_f8c5369336_z.jpgL1010457 by Steven S, on Flickr

Edited by sls
  • Like 6

How is your back? Landing on a solid chunk of camera is not a good idea. There are safer ways of carrying it...

Scratches only, I'm pleased to say, although quite bad on one arm. I came of worse than the Q, it seems, which I am quite happy about.

I can also recommend Mykita spectacles with Zeiss lenses. They went bouncing as well, found them in a palm tree of some sort undamaged.

• Like 1

I broke a rib during a fall while carrying the M9 under an arm. Since I don't take photos while riding, I got into the habit of putting it into a padded fender bag. Glad you are okay, and thanks for the encouraging news ... and pictures.

Looks like it could go to a war zone!! Hope it still is OK in a few days time. As I Motorbike rider hard objects suspended from the body are not recommended in case of accidents, best to keep in some sort of soft case just as much (if not more) for yourself than the camera.

Rattle is normally just the OIS mechanism that you here when the camera is off so if it goes away when turned on you should be good.

Don't normally like half cases but here it has probably save the day.

Edited by viramati

Wow, pleased that you and the camera are okay.

You should send the images to the mothership, make great advertising.

I'll take it in to Bruton Street for a look over a few days after I'm back, better copyright the images above so I can sell them to them.

I was also carrying a DLux6 and X-Pro1 in a Billingham bag at the time, no damage there. 

Arm a bit bruised and stinging. 

I'm off to ride elephants this morning, better not fall off. Long way down.

Oh wow!!!  Just proves Leica is meant to take a beating!!!  Although I still treat mine like little babies!!!  And also good point on taping the speaker holes! 

Billingham sits nicely in front of the handlebars - don't normally post personal pics, but here's to prove the point. Gets used to carry everyone's cameras, wallet, suncream, sunglasses etc.

20789496092_e69f1882e5_c.jpgL1020010.jpg by Steven S, on Flickr

Edited by sls

Cool ! Do elephants have handlebars ? Post a shot !

I'll find out in an hour. I do know they are thick skinned, unlike my arm. It's monkeys after the elephants. We found out in Cambodia that a lightweight Manfrotto tripod is a very good anti-monkey device.