Leica Q Prices around the World

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So just found this today on the Leica Rumor Site, may be worth checking out with the price drop, if you can find one.

The Leica Q (Typ 116) camera is currently AUD$5,546 or AUD$354 off (regular price: AUD$5,900). This makes the price of the Q around US$4,000 (the price in the US is US$4,250). This offer will be valid till the end of September.

The dealer on the link has no stock.   I could undercut that price.  I just would never deliver.  Who's up for being messed around.  

Now that Leica has entered the market for a standard product (as against the uniqueness of the rangefinder), they risk joining the race to the bottom.   It's doesn't bode well.  Leica needs to protect customers investments in their products through their marketing strategy and price control.  If they don't, the cameras will change hands at ever decreasing prices and customers will lose confidence.   It's an example of how deflation affects demand.   Consumers don't buy today because they know it will be cheaper tomorrow.

Japanese manufacturers allow prices to fall shortly after product launch as they ramp up production to get the advantage of savings gained from high volume production resulting in lower unit cost.  They ensure that product is built in low cost of production countries.  Leica can only play that game if they move production to Asia.   

Who's in favour of that strategy?

Edited by lucerne

Don't ignore the availability and usefulness of the leather  Leica Q protector.  ...there is a slot to hold a spare SDcard.

Mmmm... except leather cameras are not my style:-/

Also I really like the base kit as designed/provided.

If I needed a spare card I'd just get the 256GB item...

Actually *WAS* going to get one originally until I then 

heard about the battery lifetimes. I estimate filling over

4K of RAWs would probably need ~20 lithium batteries!

Media isn't a problem, it's battery life that's the problem.

Maybe the eventual Leica Qii will be more efficient!?

Pinning my hopes on a firmware patch to give us more

manual control of the biggest 'power drawing liability'

on the camera ...its rear screen display. It's still a

thoroughly wonderful camera and worth whatever

price you are obliged to pay in order to purchase. :)

• Like 1

Thanks.  Do they have stock or do they purchase from a Belgian distributor?    They don't offer very much on their website.  Are they an authorised Leica dealer.  €3995 is slightly more than £2900.   Add the cost of insured postage or courier and the  small saving is cancelled out.  However, if they have stock, it's another possible source for European buyers.  No import duties or additional VAT would be added.

Edited by lucerne

The dealer on the link has no stock.   I could undercut that price.  I just would never deliver.  Who's up for being messed around.  

Now that Leica has entered the market for a standard product (as against the uniqueness of the rangefinder), they risk joining the race to the bottom.   It's doesn't bode well.  Leica needs to protect customers investments in their products through their marketing strategy and price control.  If they don't, the cameras will change hands at ever decreasing prices and customers will lose confidence.   It's an example of how deflation affects demand.   Consumers don't buy today because they know it will be cheaper tomorrow.

Japanese manufacturers allow prices to fall shortly after product launch as they ramp up production to get the advantage of savings gained from high volume production resulting in lower unit cost.  They ensure that product is built in low cost of production countries.  Leica can only play that game if they move production to Asia.   

Who's in favour of that strategy?

When one is paying in excess of $4,500 US for a camera an accessories with a fixed lens they expect stellar quality. One can argue that a Mercedes S 550, or BMW 7 Series is a better car than a Honda or Hyundai. However, the frequency of

repair may be another matter (based on Consumer Report). I don't think Japanese or Koreans make lousy product. They are produced for the mass market. Leica is a high-end niche.

Personally, I believe in German engineering of high end cameras and cars (other than Tesla), Italian suits, and American software. Every country, IMO, has their own speciality. But not everyone can afford to indulge their wishes. Leica owners, in my judgment, either save their dollars or can outright afford it. I have been to a four day Leica retreat in Kennebunkport, a decade ago, and no person was on food stamps. Surely, we all raved about Leica quality. It was like a Leica love-fest. 

I am not in favor of outsourcing of Leica. What I am is in favor of is having equipment that is ready to be in the market within some reasonable time. If not, it would be extremely helpful to have visibility. I presume Leica underestimated the market for the Q. We know it is a great camera, and I am quite certain most of us want it manufactured in Germany. Good luck!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When one is paying in excess of $4,500 US for a camera an accessories with a fixed lens they expect stellar quality. One can argue that a Mercedes S 550, or BMW 7 Series is a better car than a Honda or Hyundai. However, the frequency of

repair may be another matter (based on Consumer Report). I don't think Japanese or Koreans make lousy product. They are produced for the mass market. Leica is a high-end niche.

Personally, I believe in German engineering of high end cameras and cars (other than Tesla), Italian suits, and American software. Every country, IMO, has their own speciality. But not everyone can afford to indulge their wishes. Leica owners, in my judgment, either save their dollars or can outright afford it. I have been to a four day Leica retreat in Kennebunkport, a decade ago, and no person was on food stamps. Surely, we all raved about Leica quality. It was like a Leica love-fest. 

I am not in favor of outsourcing of Leica. What I am is in favor of is having equipment that is ready to be in the market within some reasonable time. If not, it would be extremely helpful to have visibility. I presume Leica underestimated the market for the Q. We know it is a great camera, and I am quite certain most of us want it manufactured in Germany. Good luck!

Fastcar888

On reflection, I may have given the impression that I was suggesting a move of Leica production to Asia.  I wasn't and I'm desperately hoping that they don't.   . I was simply explaining the business model that determines where products end up being produced after design and launch and reaching high volume sales.   (Known as the commodity phase of the product life cycle). If Leica is too successful with the new models, it will be tempting for them.  Ramping up production in Germany is going to be very expensive.     Like you, I enjoy using quality niche products and own German cars and collect Swiss mechanical watches.   I'm prepared to pay the price for all that.    My fear is that Leica will give in to the demands of users who want cheaper kit, complex automation within the equipment, and inclusion of every possible feature found on Japanese equipment.

Even some top Swiss watch manufacturers have outsourced the production of their  basic Watches with the mechanical movements based on a modified standard model manufactured elsewhere.

So. I'm totally in agreement with you but I'm not sure how they should deal with the problems of openness and readiness for demand  at product launch and afterwards.    Right now, distribution appears to be random.  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Fastcar888

On reflection, I may have given the impression that I was suggesting a move of Leica production to Asia.  I wasn't and I'm desperately hoping that they don't.   . I was simply explaining the business model that determines where products end up being produced after design and launch and reaching high volume sales.   (Known as the commodity phase of the product life cycle). If Leica is too successful with the new models, it will be tempting for them.  Ramping up production in Germany is going to be very expensive.     Like you, I enjoy using quality niche products and own German cars and collect Swiss mechanical watches.   I'm prepared to pay the price for all that.    My fear is that Leica will give in to the demands of users who want cheaper kit, complex automation within the equipment, and inclusion of every possible feature found on Japanese equipment.

Even some top Swiss watch manufacturers have outsourced the production of their  basic Watches with the mechanical movements based on a modified standard model manufactured elsewhere.

So. I'm totally in agreement with you but I'm not sure how they should deal with the problems of openness and readiness for demand  at product launch and afterwards.    Right now, distribution appears to be random.  

I completely agree and understand your position. Also, as you, I collect mechanical Swiss watches and find it repulsive to have any top tier watch outsourced. I was unaware any were outsourced. Thanks for the info. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Mine costed 4.100€, VAT included, here in Portugal, sold as Leica recomended price, no discount.

Today I received an add proposing one so much more expensive that I asked myself if it is normal to find such a difference…:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think the problem when you buy in a currency that has become weak, is that you are going to be affected by the exchange rate,  Of course, the other reason may simply be that Russian distributors are deliberately forcing prices up.   It's complicated, but Europeans are quite lucky that Leica doesn't keep varying prices simply to maintain their profit from sales outside the EU.   

I just wondered where is the cheapest market for the Leica Q.

Never been able to consider a Leica before as it was out of my price bracket, the Q could be affordable.

I live in the UK and its priced at £2,900 here.

Bite the bullet and buy it at £2,900 ... it's as good as it gets TipTop  :)

You'll not regret it ....

I think the problem when you buy in a currency that has become weak, is that you are going to be affected by the exchange rate,  Of course, the other reason may simply be that Russian distributors are deliberately forcing prices up.   It's complicated, but Europeans are quite lucky that Leica doesn't keep varying prices simply to maintain their profit from sales outside the EU.   

Yes but if you look at my post a little upper in this page how can it be that now the Q costs 600€ up to 1000€ more than in September when I purchased mine? Is it a free market, Leica has no control on vendors prices?

Yes but if you look at my post a little upper in this page how can it be that now the Q costs 600€ up to 1000€ more than in September when I purchased mine? Is it a free market, Leica has no control on vendors prices?

Official Leica stores don't raise or lower prices unless Leica gives them special instructions.  Non-authorised sellers can vary prices, but why pay more than the Leica official price?    Pixmania isn't an official dealer, but often has stock of items that may be in short supply.  Some people will pay more just to get the item quickly.  

Generally, Leica official stores are not competing with each other and the distribution and competition model isn't the same as for Japanese electronics.   Apple doesn't sell above or below their official published  prices either.  

So the answer to your question is that the Q isn't more expensive today than it was when you bought it.  Just avoid companies like pixmania.

• Like 1

Official Leica stores don't raise or lower prices unless Leica gives them special instructions.  Non-authorised sellers can vary prices, but why pay more than the Leica official price?    Pixmania isn't an official dealer, but often has stock of items that may be in short supply.  Some people will pay more just to get the item quickly.  

Generally, Leica official stores are not competing with each other and the distribution and competition model isn't the same as for Japanese electronics.   Apple doesn't sell above or below their official published  prices either.  

So the answer to your question is that the Q isn't more expensive today than it was when you bought it.  Just avoid companies like pixmania.

The issue tht some people are ready to pay more for purchasing without delay is an explanation... I bought mine from an authorized dealer, as I do for all my gear, no stress with guarantees, and a human comunication. Waited 3 weeks, seems I was lucky!

• Like 1