Leica Q Prices around the World

Nawoo.

Welcome to the forum.  

What tax refund are you referring to?   In the uk. - unless we are overseas nonEU visitors to the uk, we pay full price including Vat.  Same applies right across Europe. Only other tax reclaimable is when we submit our annual tax return (in the following year), is if we are self-employed or run a company and buying the camera for our business in which case we get tax relief in the following year,  or if we are VAT registered in which case we reclaim the 20% Vat paid.  I'm sure most of us willingly just coughed up £2900 .  We certainly don't get a tax refund cheque in the post.  Do you?

Buy, and enjoy your new Q.  The Leica Q has been available for more than six months and there may still be shortages in some regions of the world.  Not a recipe for price reductions or special offers.  This is Leica, not Canon, not Nikon.  More like Apple.

Edited by lucerne

Nawoo.

Welcome to the forum.  

What tax refund are you referring to?   In the uk. - unless we are overseas nonEU visitors to the uk, we pay full price including Vat.  Same applies right across Europe. Only other tax reclaimable is when we submit our annual tax return (in the following year), is if we are self-employed or run a company and buying the camera for our business in which case we get tax relief in the following year,  or if we are VAT registered in which case we reclaim the 20% Vat paid.  I'm sure most of us willingly just coughed up £2900 .  We certainly don't get a tax refund cheque in the post.  Do you?

Buy, and enjoy your new Q.  The Leica Q has been available for more than six months and there may still be shortages in some regions of the world.  Not a recipe for price reductions or special offers.  This is Leica, not Canon, not Nikon.  More like Apple.

Thanks for the welcome! I was referring to the tourist tax refund scheme, or in Europe, it's known as VAT refund. In Australia, it's about 9%. In France & Germany, I get back about 12% even though the official VAT is about 19%. Still figuring out how I can get back the full 19% tax refund. I'm not sure what the tax refund amount is for the UK. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

It's usually done through Global blue at the Airport, so you have to show the customs the receipt and get it stamped, before heading over to the global blue counter to get your money back. 

I travel quite a bit for my Photography work, so it's possible for me to take advantage of these tax refunds. Germany's pricing even after tax refund would still be higher than Australia's, so I'm thinking Australia's pricing is actually the cheapest in the world right now due to their poor exchange rate. 

I'll be heading to Perth at the end of April for work, and have already placed a pre order for a Leica Q at the Leica Boutique there, hopefully they'll have it available for me by the time I arrive!

Edited by nawoo

That explains it.     It doesn't work for Brits touring Europe,.   In fact, the tax free scheme was stopped a few years ago.  Your refund would be 20% if passing through the uk with a purchase here. 

That explains it.     It doesn't work for Brits touring Europe,.   In fact, the tax free scheme was stopped a few years ago.  Your refund would be 20% if passing through the uk with a purchase here.

Will I be able to claim the full 20% or just part of it? There's always usually an administrative fee. I'm not sure how I can get back the full 20%.

I'm actually heading to Ireland to shoot a wedding in May and will be spending a few days in London, and then back to London again for another shoot in early June.

May be worth checking the UK out. Supples seem to be scarce at the moment. 2900£ minus 20% tax refund would make it very attractive indeed.

Will I be able to claim the full 20% or just part of it? There's always usually an administrative fee. I'm not sure how I can get back the full 20%.

I'm actually heading to Ireland to shoot a wedding in May and will be spending a few days in London, and then back to London again for another shoot in early June.

May be worth checking the UK out. Supples seem to be scarce at the moment. 2900£ minus 20% tax refund would make it very attractive indeed.

Best thing to do is ask a uk Leica dealer about the VAT refund scheme for Tourists/visitors.  I'm not sure if you get the full 20%.   My only experience was with watches purchased in Switzerland.   The seller would make the arrangements and stamp the customs documents, and you will need to pay and complete the deal with that dealer . You may have to wait a month or so for the refund into your bank.    The dealer would arrange to have stock when you need it.  HOPEFULLY!

Some dealers , in some countries, actually deduct the tax at the time of sale, but you also have to make a customs declaration and receive a refund certificate at the time of sale as well.  

You Should check whether you might be liable for duty on importing the Leica.  Carrying it into Aus would be one way, but sending it to your home country will almost definitely result in questions and possibly a bill for the duty.  That's your saving gone!

There's a fine line between avoiding / reclaiming tax, and failure to declare imports to save paying import duties.  Goods can be confiscated.

its up to you to weigh up the risks.

Edited by lucerne

Best thing to do is ask a uk Leica dealer about the VAT refund scheme for Tourists/visitors.  I'm not sure if you get the full 20%.   My only experience was with watches purchased in Switzerland.   The seller would make the arrangements and stamp the customs documents, and you will need to pay and complete the deal with that dealer . You may have to wait a month or so for the refund into your bank.    The dealer would arrange to have stock when you need it.  HOPEFULLY!

Some dealers , in some countries, actually deduct the tax at the time of sale, but you also have to make a customs declaration and receive a refund certificate at the time of sale as well.  

You Should check whether you might be liable for duty on importing the Leica.  Carrying it into Aus would be one way, but sending it to your home country will almost definitely result in questions and possibly a bill for the duty.  That's your saving gone!

There's a fine line between avoiding / reclaiming tax, and failure to declare imports to save paying import duties.  Goods can be confiscated.

its up to you to weigh up the risks.

Thank you for your advice. I emailed the Leica store at Mayfair yesterday and got a reply. They said that the lead time is about 2 months long right now, and that the VAT refund is about 14% after the admin fee is added in. I'm from Singapore, where the GST is about 7%. Even if I were to declare and pay GST for the Q, it would still be about $900 SGD cheaper than what i'd normally buy it for in Singapore, which will be a huge saving on my end. 

Are there any other Leica stores in London I could check up on? I was on the Red Dot Cameras website and was able to add it into cart, maybe they actually have stock for it. Not sure if they can hold it for me till mid May though

• Like 1

There are three secondhand Leica Qs currently on offer in the UK: £2499, £2549 and £2750 including two with cases and one (the cheapest) only 3 weeks old … but if sold s/h under the VAT margin scheme or if they're commission sales there might not be any reclaimable VAT.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

There are three secondhand Leica Qs currently on offer in the UK: £2499, £2549 and £2750 including two with cases and one (the cheapest) only 3 weeks old … but if sold s/h under the VAT margin scheme or if they're commission sales there might not be any reclaimable VAT.

dunk

I'm pretty sure that duty is not reclaimable on second hand goods, because businesses have to be registered and approved to operate any refund scheme.   

Nawoo.  The other authorised dealers in London are Aperture, Richard Caplin, London Camera Exchange.  Outside London dealers include Harrison's, Ffordes.  Leicastoremanchester, and of course Leica Mayfair.  Apologies to those I've missed.   Some of the top department stores also get stock, but I don't know what their status is in regard to Official Leica Ditributors.  

I appreciate why you are keen to take advantage of your situation and the countries you'll be passing through.  

Good luck.

Edited by lucerne

Wow, I just received an email from Red dot cameras that the Leica Q will be increasing in price from £2900 to £3230 as of 1st May. 

Can anyone else confirm this? They are asking me to put a 10% deposit if I want to reserve one piece at the current price. 

I'm sorry, I thought the thread topic was about leica prices around the world, to which my postings were very relevant.  The Red dot Camera rep said the price increase would be world wide. I guess we'll know soon enough on May 1st. 

I'm sorry, I thought the thread topic was about leica prices around the world, to which my postings were very relevant.  The Red dot Camera rep said the price increase would be world wide. I guess we'll know soon enough on May 1st. 

In which case you might regret not buying a Q now.

dunk

I was in Caplan's today in Mayfair and Richard also said that the price of the SL and Q are going up

• Like 1

Nawoo.  The other authorised dealers in London are Aperture, Richard Caplin, London Camera Exchange.  Outside London dealers include Harrison's, Ffordes.  Leicastoremanchester, and of course Leica Mayfair.  Apologies to those I've missed.   Some of the top department stores also get stock, but I don't know what their status is in regard to Official Leica Ditributors.  

The guys in Aperture are great; I've been dealing with them since their earliest days.  But I'm sure they won't mind me pointing out that they are not authorised Leica dealers.

• Like 1

Has anyone else heard about this price increase from May 1st being worldwide?

I'm saving up for a Q, and it's so expensive already here in Norway, about £3,500. Would really not want it to get any more expensive than that... Two reputable camera stores have it in stock though.

Has anyone else heard about this price increase from May 1st being worldwide?

I'm saving up for a Q, and it's so expensive already here in Norway, about £3,500. Would really not want it to get any more expensive than that... Two reputable camera stores have it in stock though.

It looks to be worldwide. My local leica stores in Singapore have already informed me that the new price for Singapore will be at least $400 more than the previous price, pretty much confirming what the UK store told me.