Leica Q Prices around the World

Thanks for that, that would be circa £2,850 here in the UK. 

I wondered if Leica was cheaper in Asia or anywhere else, potentially none added VAT markets. 

4200 $  =  ca. 2670 £  or...?

Here in Denmark, the price is 31000 DKK = ca. 2990 £

Edited by profus

The price is surprisingly consistent and means it's not worth buying out of country because of the credit card charges and possible import and VAT costs. I think the same is true of the 28mm Summilux-M. Some other lenses have yet to catch up with the declining euro so, for example, the last time I checked the 90/4 M lens, it was about 10% cheaper in Germany.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tiptop2000 and those members that are new to Leica ownership.

Welcome to the world of Leica marketing and distribution.  No discounts or price differentials across the globe.  No price wars - especially on new models.  Freebie extras are rarely offered.  No instant heavy devaluation of your £2900 investment due to price cutting or competition from grey imports. That means that it isn't likely that you can buy cheaply in one country to sell at a profit in another.   Such activity is known as  arbitrage so by limiting such opportunities, sales volume in each country can be managed by leica and prices are stable.

One result of these pricing policies is that Leica equipment retains value better than Japanese models and that is good news for Leica owners.  

You are going to get the best lifetime service for your Leica Q by purchasing from a UK Authorised Leica Dealer  (or equivalent in your country), and you won't have to worry about paying more than the list price. (Which you can regard as the market price for a new item).  

Shortly, there will be a second hand market for the Leica Q, and opportunities for slightly lower purchase prices.  Guarantees and warranties usually still apply.  However, UK buyers (when buying from UK Authorised dealers)  also get the Leica Passport which brings additional protection for your valuable camera.  It's worth having!  

Don't forget to check out the Buy & Sell section of this forum.  There are Leica Q offers appearing now.

BTW.  Contrary  to popular belief, Leica models are not cheaper in Hong Kong.

Import duties and VAT are applicable to goods brought to the UK from non EU countries.

Hope that helps those that are new to Leica ownership.  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

However I have noticed a huge difference with the Leica M - Safari version in the US $8800 but in Japan it is about $4000 more.  They are not offering any discount here in Japan.  the normal Leica M is also a few $1000s  more here as well.   Sells to well to offer any rebates I suppose.   I asked the shop about that in Ginza, and they just said it was due to exchange rate.  However it is too big of a difference for that to be the only reason

However I have noticed a huge difference with the Leica M - Safari version in the US $8800 but in Japan it is about $4000 more.  They are not offering any discount here in Japan.  the normal Leica M is also a few $1000s  more here as well.   Sells to well to offer any rebates I suppose.   I asked the shop about that in Ginza, and they just said it was due to exchange rate.  However it is too big of a difference for that to be the only reason

There may be import tariffs on European photographic equipment but volume imports are very small in this sector.   They want to protect their manufacturing.  Also, the Safari M240 has a small target market so prices can be kept high.  The other reason will be that the Japanese consumer places very high value on branded European luxury goods.  They don't want cheap products!  Consumers in western countries are always looking for the next product release so Japanese companies take every opportunity to dump excess production to maintain sales volumes on their balance sheets.  Accounting in Japan can result in very misleading figures for western analysts and often masks accounting practices outlawed elsewhere.  Olympus were guilty of that a few years ago, and a UK director who turned whistleblower suffered the consequences.   

Leica is exceptional in that it manufactures in Europe and sells worldwide albeit in very small relative volume.   My hope is that Leica doesn't try to manufacture technical clones of Japanese cameras.  They would never be able to compete to survive in the fast lane with Japanese companies.  

Edited by lucerne

Well, Red Dot thoughtfully added a generic 16GB media

presumably in case I had none of my own. They weren't

to know I was already waiting and ready to go with a

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128BG (95MB/s ~2k RAW)!

Anything is better than nothing, but I don't envy you transferring 2 thousand raw files when the time comes.  I'm sure you have a strategy!  To be honest, I prefer to limit my cards to represent one days shooting, and not risk the loss of one large card.   I was going to comment that the Q to IPad software is now broken due to the new IOS released yesterday, but I remember that you don't use it. I'm glad you finally got your Q.   I think there are still buyers waiting.  

Not a problem. I have a nice Intel 4 slot modular transfer box.

Throughput only limited by my (current) USB2 bus and, by this

winter or the next, another motherboard build will install USB3.

Transfer works in the background and, if necessary, I can be editing

any of the first ones transferred - multiple CPU cores *easily* cope.

And I can just populate its spare slots *if* I have other media filled.

Good reason for a singular media policy. Another is buying the

best. In all my decades and all my media investments I've never

had a single file error or card go bad on me (SanDisk Extreme Pro).

Whereas I HAVE mislaid media out of my pockets, dropped one

overboard (earlier in history), missed shots changing media or

had one (blank) pinched... Now, as I hang on to my camera full

time, it means that I really have ALL my shots 'in hand' (literally).

Off the top of my head I vaguely remember the OS saying about

20mins or something when I got back from my first outing with

800+ RAWs. T'was 'it'... been off sick since - now getting better.

Feel sorry for those still awaiting ...been there:~/ Now smiling;~)

Don't ignore the availability and usefulness of the leather  Leica Q protector.  It doesn't add  much thickness or weight to the camera.  It does add a small amount of height and it provides very good body protection without hiding any buttons.  In the leather of the base flap that covers the battery flap, there is a slot to hold a spare SDcard.  

Edited by lucerne