Leica Tele Zoom 55-135mm

Guest VVJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have all three of the 'T' zooms in addition to my having numerous top end 'M' Lenses at my disposal but regard the 'T' lenses optical performance as being quite superb, indeed I regard each as being masterpieces in there own right, and most especially so the Wide and the Tele Zooms.

Frankly therefore although I do also have the genuine 'T' to 'M' lens adapter it is little used as I am so vastly impressed by the 'T' lenses so other than for the occasional need for a wider aperture I now see little point in using  'M' lenses on my 'T'.

Believe me go out and try them at such as a Leica shop if you can for these 'T' zooms really are so good, and much better to use as well now given the Auto Focus also works much faster after you download the new 1.4 Firmware.

So in short I love the 'T' mostly BECAUSE of its wonderful lenses. Don Morley :)   

Same experience here. I specially love the 23/2.0 and the 55-135 which I use a lot.

The M doesnt see the light that often at the moment.

Here is an exemple of a long distance shot with this lens: La Défense from the Eiffel Tower (around 5 km away).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I tried the 55-135 and found it a very nice lens, but a few of the test images were a bit blury because of the speed I had to use it at. The lack of image stabilisation and the relatively small aperture stopped me buying it. If I lived in a country with more sun and light, I would have bought it.

So for me the next lens will probably be the 35 f1.4.

• Like 1

I tried the 55-135 and found it a very nice lens, but a few of the test images were a bit blury because of the speed I had to use it at. The lack of image stabilisation and the relatively small aperture stopped me buying it. If I lived in a country with more sun and light, I would have bought it.

One thing that helps in my experiece is to hold it at the end (near hood) when the lens is extended.

With that and 1/250 or better 1/500 it works fine.

• Like 1

55-135 @ 70mm 1/200s f4 iso3200 strongly cropped, low light Coffee shop environment , not what this lens is designed for.

The 55-75 renders outstanding images.  under normal use, mostly outdoors.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a Voigtlander Bottom Grip A for exactly this reason when I need slower speeds and the 55-135 then this does indeed help me to hold the camera and lens steadier.  I also can use the small Leica table tripod braced against my chest. Both these methods help me.

• 11 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally gave in and got the 55-135mm.  

First impressions are positive although I agree with some other posters that this lens really should have had OIS...

That being said., perhaps the next year to be released TL2 will have IBIS... ;)... yeah right....

I also contemplated the 90-280mm (for the SL) but 1.85KG and $6K for focal lengths that I only use very occasionally...

55-135 is superb!

I'm fairly new to Leica (only digilux 2 experience which was very impressive) but many years with Nikon and Olympus.

It's been a month with 55-135 and quite much impressed with the result. I compared 70-200 VR f2.8 on D810 and T with 55-135, I found myself much liking the results from T with 55-135.

Amassing colour and details with 55-135, it beasts my 70-200 VR on D810. I'm considering to sell Nikon 70-200VR....

Edited by redoutback

The 55-135 has the capacity to function remarkably well as a portrait lens, as well.

Shot taken at 55mm f. 3.5

I used the 55-135mm lens extensively for photographing wildlife in Denali National Park, Alaska.  Going with manual focus and without a tripod, I was lucky enough to capture images like this caribou.  

T + Vario-Elmar-T 55-135mm

f4.0, 1/400 sec, ISO-100, EV-0

• Like 2