Leica Tele Zoom 55-135mm

Guest VVJ

I got one of the first ones that arrived in the US, and like it. Combined with the 18-56, it makes for a nice travel kit, which is what I wanted from the T (along with a high ISO platform for my M lenses). My previous experience with lenses of this range was with Canon L glass 70-200 zooms. I don't see any reason to go back.

I got one too and my first impression is really positive. Pictures are really sharp and brilliant with a very good contrast. 

Actually I am surprised, I did not expect such a stunning performance.

I ´m looking forward taking this lens on a trip to italy/tuscany and see how it will work in "real" life :-))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by flyboy
  • Like 4

This lens does not seem to get much love...

Any feedback/observations from people who own the lens?

Thanks, Joris.

It certainly seems like the redheaded stepchild of the bunch, but in my use (I owned the 23 cron, a Vöigtlander 50mm Nokton, and this lens), it was actually my favorite of the bunch.

Super sharp, no issues with aberration or distortion, and good AF. It also felt built very well, so it was fun to use in MF mode.

If you're on the fence, I'd say it's well worth your money.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my list to buy but seldom offered secondhand … I've only seen one s/h example offered by a UK dealer … and I was too late.

dunk

In the US there is still a 12% discount on almost all Leica products till the end of the month, so the 55-135mm is $1,716 instead of $1,950.  I might bite the bullet...

It sounds like the experiences are mostly positive, it just does not appear to be widely used, and therefore is also hard to find on the used market, contrary to the 23mm and the 16-56mm.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Another reason why the lens is maybe not so popular or well known is the fact that it has not been subject to 'in-depth' reviews and thus to potential buyers it is something of an unknown quantity as regards performance and ergonomics.

I've seen a couple of 'add on' comments to original T reviews - but nothing e.g. with image samples throughout the aperture range and at various distances - and nothing 'wordy'. 

dunk

• 2 months later...

That has improved with the 1.4 firmware update with this lens also.

Yes I can confirm that!

I've just shot a few pictures with the firmware 1.4 installed and I think the autofocus speed is at least twice and probably even more compared to the previous firmware version.

Still struggling a bit very few times in low light or in backlight (I guess that’s not easy for contrast detect anyway), but overall a really great improvement.

Frankly I didn't expect Leica was able to pull out such improvement after more than one year from the Leica T launch.

Kudos to the Leica team for this achievement!

If someone is interested in that focal range, I think he should give it a try at a Leica dealer.

Edited by A B
  • Like 1

Yes I can confirm that!

I've just shot a few pictures with the firmware 1.4 installed and I think the autofocus speed is at least twice and probably even more compared to the previous firmware version.

Still struggling a bit very few times in low light or in backlight (I guess that’s not easy for contrast detect anyway), but overall a really great improvement.

Frankly I didn't expect Leica was able to pull out such improvement after more than one year from the Leica T launch.

Kudos to the Leica team for this achievement!

If someone is interested in that focal range, I think he should give it a try at a Leica dealer.

I second the struggling a bit in lower light. Otherwise it is a fine lens.

I have all three of the 'T' zooms in addition to my having numerous top end 'M' Lenses at my disposal but regard the 'T' lenses optical performance as being quite superb, indeed I regard each as being masterpieces in there own right, and most especially so the Wide and the Tele Zooms.

Frankly therefore although I do also have the genuine 'T' to 'M' lens adapter it is little used as I am so vastly impressed by the 'T' lenses so other than for the occasional need for a wider aperture I now see little point in using  'M' lenses on my 'T'.

Believe me go out and try them at such as a Leica shop if you can for these 'T' zooms really are so good, and much better to use as well now given the Auto Focus also works much faster after you download the new 1.4 Firmware.

So in short I love the 'T' mostly BECAUSE of its wonderful lenses. Don Morley :)   

Edited by Don Morley
  • Like 2