Advertisement (gone after registration)

What newer cards are reliable ?

I lost 1/2 a shoot for the 3rd time this year. I am getting a bit paranoid because Lexar image rescue5 could not recover any of the files even after several attempts. While shooting I always randomly check on the LCD but then there is nothing on the card - how is that even possible ?

• Like 1

I use 4x Panasonic Gold Series 8GB Class 10 SDHC Made in Japan with gray ( not orange ) locking tab.

Card Type SDHC Capacity 8.0 GB Class Rating Class 10
UHS-I Speed Rating 166x Read Speed Up to 90MB/s Write Speed Up to 25 MB/s Waterproofing Depth rating: 3.28' (1.0 m) in fresh water for up to 30 minutes - IECG0529 IPX7 standard Resistance Bending: Up to 20N
Twisting (torque): 0.3N•m
Magnet: Safe to subject to DC magnetic field of 0.1T for 5 sec
X-ray: 0.1 Gy of medium-energy radiation Temperature Range -13 to 185° F (-25 to 85° C) Certifications TÜV Rheinland certification for power failure protection

I've only used San Disk SDHC class 10 cards, 8 and 16 GB (don't need anything larger) as recommended by Leica:

WHICH SD MEMORY CARDS ARE RECOMMENDED? WHICH ARE THE FASTEST?

Fundamentally, we recommend San Disk cards as we prefer to use these for compatibility tests at Leica. To ensure optimum exploitation of the camera’s performance potentials, we recommend the use of Class 10 cards with speeds of ≥30 MB/s – e.g. from the SanDisk Ultra or SanDisk Extreme lines. SDXC cards with higher speeds are compatible, but offer no additional benefit in terms of speed compared with SDHC cards.

Never had any problems.

• Like 1

I've only used San Disk SDHC class 10 cards, 8 and 16 GB (don't need anything larger) as recommended by Leica:

WHICH SD MEMORY CARDS ARE RECOMMENDED? WHICH ARE THE FASTEST?

Fundamentally, we recommend San Disk cards as we prefer to use these for compatibility tests at Leica. To ensure optimum exploitation of the camera’s performance potentials, we recommend the use of Class 10 cards with speeds of ≥30 MB/s – e.g. from the SanDisk Ultra or SanDisk Extreme lines. SDXC cards with higher speeds are compatible, but offer no additional benefit in terms of speed compared with SDHC cards.

Never had any problems.

Are you referring to Sandisk

SanDisk 8GB Extreme HD Video SDHC Class 10 UHS-I High Performance Memory Card (SDSDX-008G-X46)

Thank you again !

Yes, I am indeed. I was quoting (copy/paste) the Leica FAQ

understood & Thank you again !

There are several recent versions of the card named "Extreme" that exceed the specs of the 8G-X46 card,

the card that you seem to describe.

The 30 mb/s version seems to be no longer in production.

( I saw complaints re. the SD "Ultra" cards as non working)

You won't need fast cards for the M8. 30 MB/s is enough. With faster speeds you won't notice any difference. Just pick up a 8 GB Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s card and you will be happy. Curiously enough it is one of my faster card on the M240 BTW.

Edited by lct

You won't need fast cards for the M8. 30 MB/s is enough. With faster speeds you won't notice any difference. Just pick up a 8 GB Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s card and you will be happy. Curiously enough it is one of my faster card on the M240 BTW.

Thank you for the kind advice ! ... trouble is there are none available from a reliable official dealer here in the US ... hence the question for reliably working new cards.

... which mostly are 32GB cards by now.

understood & Thank you again !

There are several recent versions of the card named "Extreme" that exceed the specs of the 8G-X46 card,

the card that you seem to describe.

The 30 mb/s version seems to be no longer in production.

( I saw complaints re. the SD "Ultra" cards as non working)

I never had problems with Ultra cards. I think I had six of them, 8 GB. I mixed them up with Extreme cards and never noticed any difference.

Thank you for the kind advice ! ... trouble is there are none available from a reliable official dealer here in the US ... hence the question for reliably working new cards.

... which mostly are 32GB cards by now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/SD-Multi-Media/ci/7860/N/4232859241

Scroll down a bit. There is a choice of various 8 and 16 GB cards available.

• Like 1

As a M photographer since 1989,

not getting a precise answer from someone who definitely knows which current and available model card 

(incl model #) would work 100% guaranteed and trouble free,

makes me wonder if I am the only M8 user left ?

Still I am very grateful for all the points and hints made in this forum !

@Ict ( thank you for the link - infact I had contacted the sellers of the SD 8GB cards - but only received evasive replies

as to whether the cards are genuinely San Disk - none of the sellers is an authorized dealer.)

@Jaapv ( thank you, a colleague of mine, who uses the M8 just as long as I do, had freeze up problems with the Ultra cards

and avised me to use 8GB Lexar Paltinum II cards).

P.S.

I posted the question in two other renowned forums and received similar answers -

which reminds me that most everything posted about the M8 was vague since it

saw the light of day 9 years ago :-)

P.P.S Yesterday I managed to squeeze my 1045572th image out of my 3rd shutter

needless to say I love my M8s