Replacement of MM Sensor experience

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just discovered signs of the "sensor glass corrosion" on my 2013 MM and contacted Leica the other day to try to get this fixed, I guess I'll hear back from them early in the week, hope so anyway.

But this prompted me to ask on the Forum how the replacement experience has gone for others of you that have had to go through this procedure with your MM's.

I don't want to upgrade to the new M version of the Monochrome, I have a M240 and whilst that's a great camera I still prefer the "feel" of the M9 / MM's in the hand, so I'll stick with the present camera body.

Has anyone received in the repair process the "new and improved" corrosion proof sensor, if so can you see any difference in image quality?

I use my cameras professionally so although I've backup it's hard to duplicate the "look" of the MM so I'm wondering how long does the sensor replacement process take? I'm in Europe right now so the camera would be sent to Solms, as it was last year for a shutter problem that was speedily fixed under warranty.

Any clues as to how to handle this well and reports of how things have gone for those that have been through the process would be good to read…..Thanks!

Try tracking this thread in the M-E/M9 forum: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/247062-ccd-sensor-new-leica-information-about-the-state-of-development/

Consensus seems to be that the new cover glass won't be available until the end of the year (it's being field-tested). You'll get the "original" sensor on a replacement for now.

My MM is now on it's way back to Solms to have the sensor replaced. I was offered the upgrade to the M 246 but declined primarily because I like the physical size and handling of the MM better than I do the newer M's, ( I also own a M240 ).

I'm aware of the advantages of the newer Monochrome and sure they were tempting, but for me they are not worth at this point the +€3600 it would cost for the switch. Anyway I still like, maybe prefer, the "look" of the CCD over the CMOS sensor.

However I will say that I am enormously impressed with the way that Leica is stepping up on this M9 / MM failing sensor issue. Dealing with them at Solms this past week or so on this issue has been an extremely positive experience and if anything solidifies my +40 year professional relationship with their cameras. 

This replacement will not be with the "newer" M9/MM sensor as that's still undergoing testing, but as my contact at Leica pointed out to me if this replacement sensor develops the same issues at anytime down the road, it too will be replaced free of charge, ( presumably then with the newer "corrosion proof" version ), and all that's good enough for me. Thanks Leica!

Now this time without the MM may be a good reason to see how the Q's files look when converted to B&W!