Wow...my first try at home developing B&W was so bad...

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leitz, in the 1960s, did some work on development technique. Amongst other findings, they recommended tanks that kept the film relatively stationary and allowed the developer to move during agitation. The point was that rotating the film creates eddies around the sprocket holes, resulting in uneven development near the film edges. This is a genuine problem, certainly to be avoided.

Leitz recommended the Jobo tanks of the day. I have a 5-film version, and it works wonderfully. Nikor or Kindermann tanks also work very well, for the same reason – the solution moves while the film stays put. The only down side of the old Jobo tanks is that the reels are a challenge to load. They don’t have a ratchet mechanism, and they have to be completely dry. Trimming the leading corners is also a very big help – almost a necessity. My Kindermann tank loads like a dream, but is only a 2-reeler.

I also usually do no more than 4 films at once in the Jobo 5-reeler – this way I can use less than a full tank of solution, so when I agitate there is lots of movement of the developer. Perfect results every time.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 1