I just sold my T.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I kind of agree with you.  Who buys a M or T system, or even a Q to take family photos??  Some will say "why not?" and I can understand their viewpoint as well.  But I get annoyed that they sometimes don't take the time to learn how to take good photos,  which does take work, then complain or trash the camera.  Definitely those people need a good point and shoot.  If the T was meant to be just a point and shoot, then it has failed to reach its mark.  But I don't consider it for a second to be that type of camera.

For me family photos means photos of the people and moments which are most important to me, so why should one not try to use the best tools for that kind of images?

As Tom did, i got myself a second body today. It sat attached to a 23mm summ that i bought. So i can now shoot pictures of my drunk friends. Just press that button on top. Second body might come in handy once i fall over as well... 

I appreciate that josh explaines why hè sold the t and wish him all the best with his new camera. But i cannot grasp why someone jumps on his experiences just to bash a camera.

Fun to all t-shooters.

Funny, I have considered getting a second T myself.  Most fun camera I have ever owned plus am so pleased with the photos.  I think people are jumping on this more in favor of the T.  The T bashing is mostly rubbish.  It's a great camera.

• Like 1

For me family photos means photos of the people and moments which are most important to me, so why should one not try to use the best tools for that kind of images?

Well, I guess you didn't read my full reply.  Not really arguing this.  You of course have a right to have the best of the best if that is what is important to you.  Just, for those with money to burn who don't take the time to learn to shoot and expect the camera to capture the best family photos, I wish they would not trash the camera if doesn't work out.  If they don't take the time to learn a camera, they should buy a point and shoot and that is my point.  It really doesn't matter though. Leica will take your money regardless.

Well, I guess you didn't read my full reply.  Not really arguing this.  You of course have a right to have the best of the best if that is what is important to you.  Just, for those with money to burn who don't take the time to learn to shoot and expect the camera to capture the best family photos, I wish they would not trash the camera if doesn't work out.  If they don't take the time to learn a camera, they should buy a point and shoot and that is my point.  It really doesn't matter though. Leica will take your money regardless

I did read your full post, but didnt understand the first sentence.

I fully agree about learning the tool.

For example switching between face recognition and one point AF depending on the scene can make a big difference. If the light is very low and subject not moving MF can also be the was to go.

• Like 1

Funny, I have considered getting a second T myself.  Most fun camera I have ever owned plus am so pleased with the photos.  I think people are jumping on this more in favor of the T.  The T bashing is mostly rubbish.  It's a great camera.

If the slightest opportunity arises to criticise they grab it and use it to naysay … time and time again.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

I love my T.  It is a real different experience from the Nikons and their auto focus.  I do pet photography and use the Nikons for getting photos those frenetic dogs.  But my T is a more personal experience for me.  It is always there, and somehow it is more about experimentation and always having a camera at the ready.  And there is really something special about the Leica lenses.   My first Leica was a III f with a collapsible 50mm.  There is just a diamond like sparkle to some of the Leica lenses. I am not a real technical person, so I can't put my finger on why.   Maybe I have had too much wine, but the T for me is a refreshing change from the Nikons.  And Leicas are more an extension of my hand than the heavy duty SLRs.  Not that I will give up my Nikons.  They have their place.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But I get annoyed that they sometimes don't take the time to learn how to take good photos,  which does take work, then complain or trash the camera.  Definitely those people need a good point and shoot.  If the T was meant to be just a point and shoot, then it has failed to reach its mark.  But I don't consider it for a second to be that type of camera.

Any good AF camera can be used as a point and shoot, just set it to all-auto. In that sense, it is also a point and shoot when needed, just with better quality.

If an AF camera cannot take better "point and shoot" pictures than the average point and shoot, then it is not a good camera.

Well well well well.

I'm sorry Josh didn't like it . . . but there are compromises with all tools . . . . let's face it, shooting a D810 at a kids party isn't really perfect either, and I'm not sure what the very very best tool would be . . . Maybe an Olympus EM-1 with their excellent 12-40 f2.8 zoom? 

But I keep coming back to the T - it's such a good compromise - lovely image quality, excellent lenses, reliable (if rather slow) AF - excellent with M lenses, fun and intelligent interface. Small and beautifully made - It's so nearly the perfect compromise, and it's tough to expect Leica to get everything right first time with something so revolutionary.

Personally I'll be hanging in there and using my T body(s) and hoping that the refined T comes along before too long. 

• Like 4

I kind of agree with you.  Who buys a M or T system, or even a Q to take family photos??  Some will say "why not?" and I can understand their viewpoint as well.  But I get annoyed that they sometimes don't take the time to learn how to take good photos,  which does take work, then complain or trash the camera.  Definitely those people need a good point and shoot.  If the T was meant to be just a point and shoot, then it has failed to reach its mark.  But I don't consider it for a second to be that type of camera.

Oh trust me, I didn't buy a camera for taking photos of my kid's birthday party... but it's all part of the gig when you're a parent. And, I hate to say it, but it's not a limit of the awareness of how to take a good photo or even the technical skill. I'm quite quick to MF, but was disappointed that I couldn't rely on the AF to get the job done in the busy "blowing out the candles" situation where I wanted to be somewhat present and not so focused on critical MF.

I spend most of my time in national parks taking photos, which is my primary use for my camera gear.

I still love the Leica T - it's just a tad too hobbyist for me. I think I would've probably been better suited with an M or the Q, but I don't have the budget to be buying into those systems as well. The T is a magnificent work of art, whose beauty can't be appreciated until you hold it and use it. But, there's about 10% too much form over function as of yet. I'm quite confident version 2, or whatever is next in the lineage will be darn near the perfect picture of what this system can be.

No pun intended. ;)

Well well well well.

I'm sorry Josh didn't like it . . . but there are compromises with all tools . . . . let's face it, shooting a D810 at a kids party isn't really perfect either, and I'm not sure what the very very best tool would be . . . Maybe an Olympus EM-1 with their excellent 12-40 f2.8 zoom? 

But I keep coming back to the T - it's such a good compromise - lovely image quality, excellent lenses, reliable (if rather slow) AF - excellent with M lenses, fun and intelligent interface. Small and beautifully made - It's so nearly the perfect compromise, and it's tough to expect Leica to get everything right first time with something so revolutionary.

Personally I'll be hanging in there and using my T body(s) and hoping that the refined T comes along before too long. 

Yes, yes, yes. This is most certainly true, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Please don't misread this thread as T bashing. I think it's a stellar system. Just wasn't quite what I was hoping for as my primary camera. I stepped out of the Canon 5D Mark 2 world when I came to the T, and I think despite the literally indescribably pleasing image quality, there was a little too much system shock for me. I think knobs, dials, and the tech. spec. race to the front is usually pretty obnoxious, actually. That said, I think the T could use a little more fine tuning, and I think it'll be a serious force to be reckoned with.

To be honest, I hope I come back! Nothing like a Leica!

Really sad to say it, but after taking a trip to Olympic National Park and constantly having dust on the sensor when I'd stop to take photos, or the frustratingly slow and seemingly endlessly hunting AF at my 3 year old's birthday party (when I missed a shot of her blowing out her candles), I decided to try something else.

I really loved the system, but I think it needs a second generation before I can try again.

Bummed. :(

Hey Josh,

can relate with what you have said... missed a couple of those family moments too...

hope you can find something that suits your current needs  :)

marh

• 2 weeks later...

The various replies of the contributors above mirror my mixed feelings about the T. I love the camera despite my frustrations with the auto focus. The images can be breathtaking. I enjoy the light weight of the camera and its beautiful design.

In my opinion the T could represent the Leica brand's future. The less expensive but still excellent lenses could offer a more economical and practical alternative to the M mount series.

Instead of fixing the T's problematic focus, however, Leica AG appears to have spent their time and money on the new Q model, which strikes me as an awfully expensive way to

produce a one-trick (28 mm) pony. In my view, this decision was a big mistake. It sent the message than rather than upgrade software to help T customers, they would rather produce another camera. Bad message.

The various replies of the contributors above mirror my mixed feelings about the T. I love the camera despite my frustrations with the auto focus. The images can be breathtaking. I enjoy the light weight of the camera and its beautiful design.

In my opinion the T could represent the Leica brand's future. The less expensive but still excellent lenses could offer a more economical and practical alternative to the M mount series.

Instead of fixing the T's problematic focus, however, Leica AG appears to have spent their time and money on the new Q model, which strikes me as an awfully expensive way to

produce a one-trick (28 mm) pony. In my view, this decision was a big mistake. It sent the message than rather than upgrade software to help T customers, they would rather produce another camera. Bad message.

Maybe you should wait for further product announcements before assuming that the Q is a mistake and that it has been produced at the expense of not upgrading the 'T'.  The two cameras / systems both have development potential but few are aware of what might be in the pipeline. The Q is certainly not a 'one trick pony'. 

dunk

....Bad message.

I agree with the first part, but I do not think that the Q introduction has been a mistake for Leica. If the Q brings sales and profit it's ok, for the company. However for T user (or the ones like me who were interested in it) for sure will have the consequence of a slower development, both from the point of view of new firmware improving for instance the AF speed and other bugs and also the new prime lenses release. The investment for the T has been huge from Leica side (I think) and I'm so surprised the the management is not trying to maximize the profit from it, but let see what will happens...

robert

PS: see also this thread I started when the Q was announced : http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/247977-will-the-q-stop-the-t-system/

To be honest, I doubt that the Q has taken an exorbitant amount of R&D money out of the budget. Basically it must have been determining the specifications and ordering the right parts.

Most of the internals come from or through Panasonic, the genius is in the concept and design, and execution of course.