Why does Rockwell hate the M8 so much?

ShivaYash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had the M8 since 2008 and it has been unused for a few years, but since getting the M-E I've rediscovered it. Reading some stuff online about digital progress since my pause with photography, why does Ken Rockwell seem to hate the half frame M8 so much?

In 2015 I still think its great, although I love the M-E more, as the full-frame CCD sensor is well, full frame.

Don't get me wrong, I love his 'to the bone' style, its refreshing, especially as there are so many Leica 'armchair' photographers, I call them kit-whores. A bit strong perhaps but true in my experience. I like how KR cuts them down to size, if I recall correctly, I was reading an old post where he said that many such photographers mistaken believe Leica to be gems and not the tools they actually are... it was very well put and clearly I have not done it justice. 

There shouldn't be any reason to hate it, if it took good photo's back in 2008 then it should still be able to take good photo's today, every time a new camera is released it doesn't mean all previous photo's made become bad or obsolete. I wonder sometimes if upgrade junkies have any previous photo's to show if the new camera is so crucial and fills so many important requirements. Get it used and enjoy it again.

Steve

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• He seems to love his 135mm f4 (not supported).
  • He has trouble substituting an 21mm's FOV.
  • He seems to like the CV/Z 21mm f4s
  • Is the cool user of endless tourists' zoom ranges really supposed to felt marker 6 Bit codes on his heritage glass?
  • SOOC JPEG quality isn't entirely on par with Fuji & i-phone
  • An M3 style VF might be appreciated to nail focus but isn't provided

Obviously he must have had his hands on everything else digital, but he also had his recreational film phases with M3 and compact 39mm filter lens line, so the M8 had no great appeal.

Different people have different needs, so Ken R can't be the gauge for everybody.

Here I don't care about the crop factor. An old beater bought as a makeshift backup and to please demands for color, hardly justifies buying a pair of oddball lenses to resemble 35+90mm FOV, I rather cope with 28 / 50 / 135mm equivalent.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bothered to look at his site for years. I might have missed something but the photos he did take we're either uninteresting landscape or poorly framed and over sharpened family snaps ?

It's about sponsorship n income from his site and putting heaps of content up is great but his opinions and judgements I'd take with a pinch of salt. I'd be very surprised if he'd actually used them all in any case

• Like 1

I have been visiting Rockwell's site for quite a few years. His style is somewhat inconsistent; on the one hand he is sensationalist, but then comes down to earth with some reasonably sensible comments, often in the same article.

He seems to admire Leica equipment, but is then disparaging about 'Leica Man' as he puts it.  It seems he therefore disparages himself. 

As far as the M8 goes, it is still a fine camera. I was looking at some of my old M8 shots the other day and was impressed. Good B&W conversions too.

In sum, I take young Ken's stuff as light entertainment, and with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 1

I've been using my M8 quite a lot recently and believe it is a very capable camera still. Certainly not anything like what Rockwell makes it out to be. His site has been full of a lot of great information to me over the years but there are just some instances (such as this) where I just have to laugh and move along.

My M8 still gets the odd outing, almost entirely used for IR and B and W.

It is a flawed camera but still is pleasant to use and a decent approximation of a digital version of a traditional  film 'M'

• 1 month later...

I would take his comments with a pinch of salt. I bought mine in 2007 and I loved it then, and still do. Ok,I have been disappointed when Leica dropped. It, and the coffee stain thing. BUT it still takes very fine images, and it's B&W rendition is outstanding.

I own a D800E too and it initially took over, but now having used it seriously recently, it surprised me just how good it is.

The new kid on the block is not always the best kid on the block.

• Like 1