Carrying Leica Q in a Case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to get some kind of case to give my Q protection while carrying for hiking, cycling, etc. I see that the ever ready case is fatally flawed (IMO) because it doesn't close with the lens hood attached. So what are others doing or would anyone suggest? I have used a Lowepro top loading zoom bag for years with my Nikon DSLR and it's been perfect for this purpose. Are one of the smaller Lowpro cases good for the Q?  The Dashpoint 30 looks like it might work. Comments please?

I'm using the uninspiring Lowepro 150 Transit Sling AW  because it fits snugly across my back, is very light, and has space for a days rations and weather protection for the camera plus something for me.   I do have top loading zooms among my plethora of bags but they dont have space for anything else.   

Its a fact, that every camera demands a rethink of which bag.  It seems that no designer really gets it right.  Do they even try their designs?

Edited by lucerne

I want to get some kind of case to give my Q protection while carrying for hiking, cycling, etc. I see that the ever ready case is fatally flawed (IMO) because it doesn't close with the lens hood attached. So what are others doing or would anyone suggest? I have used a Lowepro top loading zoom bag for years with my Nikon DSLR and it's been perfect for this purpose. Are one of the smaller Lowpro cases good for the Q?  The Dashpoint 30 looks like it might work. Comments please?

The Dashpoint 30 is extremly tight, it takes the Q with the hood but without the lenscap. Too tight for my taste...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Really keeping it simple for travel...

Ape Case Cubeze QB33 DSLR/Lens/Flash Cube (Compact, Yellow) - B&H - $12.99

Holds Leica Q, grip, strap, protection filter, hood,  3 batteries, charger, SF 26 Flash and an infrared filter in case.  Into the carry-on and we're off..

• Like 1

A somewhat sideways question to the original one. I keep my Q in a half case but what does everyone do about a lens cap?  I like to keep the lens hood on the camera so that it is ready to shoot but I dare not leave the lens cap on because I am sure it will just fall off. I haven't read anything about this problem. What do the rest of you do about loose lens cap?

Paul Glendell

A Lowe Streamline 100 is perfect (if they still make them **) ......and space at the end that can be divided off for extra battery/phone/pocket tripod etc etc.

Camera fits in with lens and hood etc fine as the case is the same width as the camera is deep and height is the same as the camera is wide. (20x15x9cm)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

** just hunted on the net ...... bought 2 red ones for £8.50 each including shipping  .... to add to my heap of black ones ...... very useful for carrying Leica lenses ...... and the Leica T .... I sometimes prefer to carry my M and a brace of these rather than one big bag .... same for storage in a suitcase for extra protection ..... lots of uses ..... and you can never have too many camera bags ....  :p

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

The provided lens cap fits perfectly over the hood. Why wouldn't you use it?

Hello. I do use the lens cap over the hood when I put the camera away.  When I am walking around with the camera over my shoulder, where it may stay for some time, for many cameras I put the lens cap back on to protect the lens.  If  I see a situation where | want to take  a pic I take the cap off, put it in my pocket and take a photo.  That way the lens is protected while it is still available.  The Q cap will fall off very easily if left on the camera whilst the camera is around my neck.  Does nobody else do this? Maybe it's just my way of working and I should get a filter? 

many years ago I had a nikon around my neck twisted my body to look behind me and the camera hit a metal post and smashed the lens filter.  Its probably just hang over from that experience.  Fortunately the lens was okay.

Hello. I do use the lens cap over the hood when I put the camera away.  When I am walking around with the camera over my shoulder, where it may stay for some time, for many cameras I put the lens cap back on to protect the lens.  If  I see a situation where | want to take  a pic I take the cap off, put it in my pocket and take a photo.  That way the lens is protected while it is still available.  The Q cap will fall off very easily if left on the camera whilst the camera is around my neck.  Does nobody else do this? Maybe it's just my way of working and I should get a filter? 

many years ago I had a nikon around my neck twisted my body to look behind me and the camera hit a metal post and smashed the lens filter.  Its probably just hang over from that experience.  Fortunately the lens was okay.

I have a rubber collapsible lens shade with the correct thread for the lens.  I rarely take the official cover or shade.  A clear filter protects the glass.  No risk of damage if I catch the shade on a hard surface.  

• 1 year later...

Well, my old thread has come back to life! Here is what I am currently doing WRT to the lens cap. I really like the looks of the Leica lens cap sitting on the lens hood (yes, really nice how that fits on the hood) so I don't want to forgo using the cap (and it keeps stuff way from the lens).

Now there are two slight problems. One is the crappy felt lining that causes the lens cap to soon be loose fitting and prone to falling off. It's not elegant, but i just pulled off all that felt which has half way off anyway, and placed a few layers of tape in the inner rim of the hood placed in 3 or 4 quadrants. This reduces the inner diameter just enough that the hood snugly fits. Also, note you can rotate the cap so these blobs of tape are over the square part of the hood so they dont really snug up the fit. Or, you can rotate it to the round part of the hood to sort of screw it it snug on the hood. By varying the rotational angle you can snug it up or loosen it, or remove it easily. Awkward to explain, but I hope you understand.

The second problem is, what to do when you want to take a picture? I used to take the cap off and hold it or put it in my pocket. Yeah ok, but I have lost more than one cap over the years doing this. Now I have a $3 lens cap keeper which connects the cap via an adhesive button on the cap to a stretchy band around the lens. Pull the lens cap off, let it hang, put it back on. No fiddling or losses. Here it is:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=850525&gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPb95MoCEPhVvCFz87Z36sguuvKzkGiic5z8o7GzXVVEhoCfi_w_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

Edited by Orguy
  • Like 2

Usually I use a Domke or Ona shoulder bag, but for those occasions when away on the motorcycle my LowePro 'Adventura' TLZ 20 II fits in the tank top bag just fine, also use it if/when I'm walking longer distances with a rucksack on and I don't want a full camera bag over my shoulder as well!!

i-7sHmpBX-L.jpg

i-sKprRfc-L.jpg

i-jFHVrw2-L.jpg

Also use the above for the Fuji X-T2  :rolleyes: