Quick release plate for Leica Q?

Quick Release plate for what?

A QR plate is unique to the device you are attaching it to more than the camera.

Many are made to fit the camera body. Many of those Arca Swiss ones made for Nikon DSLRs for example won't fit very happily on an M, even though they will all fit the Arca Swiss fittings of the head.

• Like 1

Really Right Stuff's 

B9: Multi-use bidirectional plate

works perfectly on the Q. Small, unobtrusive Arca Swiss plate..

Yeah i was looking at RRS plates and i saw the B9 plate as well. I am looking for one that is made for the Q just like the one specifically for the M.

If i were to get a generic one, i think i will go for the Novoflex Q plates instead.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many are made to fit the camera body. Many of those Arca Swiss ones made for Nikon DSLRs for example won't fit very happily on an M, even though they will all fit the Arca Swiss fittings of the head.

Yes, correct. There are plenty for Nikon, Canon and even Sony but only a few for Leica. All of them are made for the M and i haven't found any for the Q.

Mine is fitted with an Arca Swiss to be used with my Gitzo monopod. I imagine that all makes and plates can fit with no worries. I take it that that is what you asked about ;)

Yeah Generic ones will be able to fit without issues. I am just looking for one that is made for the Q.....and it will be perfect if it comes with a handgrip just like some that were made for the M

• Like 1

Yeah i was looking at RRS plates and i saw the B9 plate as well. I am looking for one that is made for the Q just like the one specifically for the M.

If i were to get a generic one, i think i will go for the Novoflex Q plates instead.

The RRS made for the M replaces the bottom plate.  The Q does not have a removeable bottom plate.   The q grip screws into the tripod socket but has one of its own. The Q grip is flat and would easily accept any generic plate.   Of course it is possible that RRS would make a grip/qr of its own but the Q hasn't been out very long and RRS would likely want to see how big the market is before they tool up.   You might just ask them. They are very open to customer communications.  

The RRS made for the M replaces the bottom plate.  The Q does not have a removeable bottom plate.   The q grip screws into the tripod socket but has one of its own. The Q grip is flat and would easily accept any generic plate.   Of course it is possible that RRS would make a grip/qr of its own but the Q hasn't been out very long and RRS would likely want to see how big the market is before they tool up.   You might just ask them. They are very open to customer communications.  

Yeah i think i will probably email them.

A perfect plate for the Q would be the original Q grip with built-in QR plate and access to the battery.

• Like 1

The RRS B9 is very good. I bought several and they are used when I travel and need different cameras. IMHO, the camera specific plates are larger than they need to be from a strength point of view and tend to be priced well higher to be camera specific. The Q weighs nothing and the B9 is plenty.

I agree with your statement: "The perfect plate for the Q would be the original Q grip with built-in QR plate and access to the battery."

• Like 2

The RRS B9 is very good. I bought several and they are used when I travel and need different cameras. IMHO, the camera specific plates are larger than they need to be from a strength point of view and tend to be priced well higher to be camera specific. The Q weighs nothing and the B9 is plenty.

I agree with your statement: "The perfect plate for the Q would be the original Q grip with built-in QR plate and access to the battery."

To be hones, i find RRS to be a little overpriced. If i were to get universal plate, there are many better options to choose from.

In my point of view, camera specific plates are better as it serves as a base to protect the camera in a way and it allows the camera to stand on its own. A grip can also be integrated.

Of course, but the first question is what device do you want to use it with.

The Q is pretty generic...I use RRS and they make a plate for the M...but the Q is pretty generic bottom so the stock plate will work fine.

Edited by digitalfx

you won't find one specifically for the Q (at least just yet). The Q is just a standard bottom. The M bottom is removable.

you won't find one specifically for the Q (at least just yet). The Q is just a standard bottom. The M bottom is removable.

Yes i know the M bottom is removable.

In fact, the Q doesn't need a removable bottom to have the plate.

Something like these will be good......i am just waiting for the manufacturers to make one for the Q

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

OP

Are just looking for a base plate or an L bracket?

I ask because I have an L bracket called the DAL-1. Can't remember where I bought it, but it can be positioned on the Q where one can open the battery door without issue.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

OP

Are just looking for a base plate or an L bracket?

I ask because I have an L bracket called the DAL-1. Can't remember where I bought it, but it can be positioned on the Q where one can open the battery door without issue.

I am actually looking for a base plate that comes with a grip but a detachable L bracket will be a bonus.

Anyway thanks for the info, i found the DAL-1 and it is branded as Desmond.