EVF-2 future replacement?/EVF4 {merged}

Cliff S

Lots of conflicting opinions. I remember when everyone said it's impossible for the M to be FF.

At least an eye sensor. Pressing that button all the time gets really confusing if I'm on EVF, LCD or the camera is off!

They gotta get that sorted out. It's not a camera limitation.

• Like 1

Lots of conflicting opinions. I remember when everyone said it's impossible for the M to be FF.

At least an eye sensor. Pressing that button all the time gets really confusing if I'm on EVF, LCD or the camera is off!

They gotta get that sorted out. It's not a camera limitation.

No conflicting opinions. Unfortunately it's simply not possible.

• Like 1

The EVF's are not made by Leica. They use existing units made by Epson/Olympus/Panasonic (depending on the camera). 

I guess that any new EVF would require a specific interface within the camera, i.e. you can't stick a new EVF on a camera which uses some previous model. 

As EVF become smaller and higher resolution they are increasingly being incorporated more easily into the camera body, check the EVF of the new Sony RX100 IV ! And as Olympus has moved on from the EVF-2 specification to an incompatible newer model I suspect there may never again be an up to date accessory EVF made for a digital M unless Leica can cobble something together themselves.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

With all the talk of a new M in the fall, I would love to see a new EVF for the M with the touch action of either the Q EVF or the T version.

Any rumours of a new hi-res EVF for the M240?

Not a chance.

I think the current EVF is extremely useful with super wide or telephoto lenses. The relatively low quality by modern standards doesn't bother me, I can focus with it, and don't buy into the need to see tremendous detail in the EVF viewfinder image before I believe it's going to be in the photograph, being able to accurately compose the image is enough. I definitely agree with Cliff regarding the run-around the EVF buttons cause but as we know there isn't ever going to be a way around it.

Steve

• Like 3

Exactly!!  The EVF is an auxiliary system. It would be nice if it were more elegant, but basically the only requirement is that it does the job. This is a rangefinder camera, not an EVIL. That it adds some EVIL functions is good for those that want/need them, but it does not touch on the real concept of the camera

I think the current EVF is extremely useful with super wide or telephoto lenses. The relatively low quality by modern standards doesn't bother me, I can focus with it, and don't buy into the need to see tremendous detail in the EVF viewfinder image before I believe it's going to be in the photograph, being able to accurately compose the image is enough. I definitely agree with Cliff regarding the run-around the EVF buttons cause but as we know there isn't ever going to be a way around it.

Steve

• Like 1

I recall the discussion after the M[240] used the Olympus VF-2 shortly before the Olympus VF-4 came out with higher resolution and eye-detection to eliminate need for the button.  Leica said that the 240 couldn't provide the bandwidth needed to support the VF-4.  Then the T came out with an improved detachable viewfinder.  Does anyone know where they got that one?  Does it have eye detect?  Is it mechanically and electrically identical to a unit that can be obtained outside?  I would expect it might be used in the next M upgrade. 

scott

Epson, not Olympus, is the supplier of the EVF2, VF2 and VF4. I do not know about the T. If not Epson, Panasonic is a likely suspect.

I would expect a hypothetical  Visoflex EVF (if... ;)) to be a lot better than the T one, more along the lines of the Q. Certainly not compatible with the MTyp240/246.

To be honest, I never really noticed this, as I never expected any esthetic happiness from such a small TV screen. But now that you mention it - it is indeed not beautiful, but it does the job. A bit like its owner. :(

• Like 2

I don't get it...

With all the negative comments and drawbacks for the EVF, what do people use with 24, 21, 18mm, etc., lenses?

(I've never had anything wider than 35mm...including when I had an M4.  And I've never literally looked through an EVF.)

Do people use the dedicated bright line viewers?  Or just "guess" at what will be in the scene!?)