What strap are you using for the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello... I have a Q coming my way in a few days, and would love to sort out a better way to carry a camera.  I know it's a personal thing, but I'm hoping for ideas.  I also realize we create our own problems!  

I prefer a lock-down wrist strap when concentrating on photography and can wrist-carry all day.  When I'm carrying but not actively shooting I like a shoulder strap, and normally carry the camera with the lens to my back because I find that position compact and comfortable, but that also makes it so the camera is upside-down if I slide it around and up to my eye.  

I'm coming from a Nikon D5 and have always found the Nikon AN-4B strap to be just super.  It's smooth nylon and is woven to be 24mm wide in the middle and 12mm near the ends.  Wrapped three times around my wrist it's bombproof.  What ends up happening is that I spend an inordinate amount of time winding and unwinding the camera from my wrist as I switch back and forth from wrist to shoulder.  

I've ordered the Arte di Mano Aventino case in rally volpe color, so of course his Comodo strap will match, but I'm opting for function first.  If I stick with the wrist-wrap method then I'll be happiest with a smooth flexible strap... cotton/nylon.  I'm game for a matching leather strap if the leather is thin and soft enough. 

This looks like the ticket, but is polyester which is a rough webbing material (I've rock/ice climbed for nearly 30 years so know my webbings).  http://shop.sunlows.com/sunlows-ORANGE-NY.html

I've wondered about those sliding of straps that attach thru a D-ring screwed to the tripod socket... omitting the hand carry.

Nikon also makes thinner sizes of tapered-woven nylon straps like AN-7 and AN-CP16... I have a one on a X100s, with both strap ends attached to the right camera lug, which works okay for the smaller X100.

What good system have people worked out for a quick switch from shoulder to wrist?  Is the Arte di Mano Comodo strap thin & flexible enough to use as a wrist-wrap?

Thanks much, Ralph

Are you concerned with the strap being one unit? (ie. a shoulder strap that you can also wind up around your wrist like the one you showed?)

I say that because I wanted something similar to you. I jump back and forth between preferring a wrist and shoulder strap (and quite frankly, no strap!), and I found something that I really like.

I got the DSPTCH sling to go along with the DSPTCH wrist strap. You can see they are both interchangeable via the clips that, when nothing is attached to the camera, are hardly noticeable!

SRP-SS-GRY-001_b3719867-cf7a-4634-871f-2

SRP-WS-BLK-MB-003_grande.jpg?v=140425191

I am using the Comodo XL and am very pleased with it. Long enough to hang where I want it to and also over the neck. Soft leather and narrow to wrap it around my forearm and wrist. Available in a number of colors of leather.

+1 on the Comodo XL. I have it and love it. Nice thickness and width yet easily wraps around the lens to store in case.

Are you concerned with the strap being one unit? (ie. a shoulder strap that you can also wind up around your wrist like the one you showed?)

I say that because I wanted something similar to you. I jump back and forth between preferring a wrist and shoulder strap (and quite frankly, no strap!), and I found something that I really like.

I got the DSPTCH sling to go along with the DSPTCH wrist strap. You can see they are both interchangeable via the clips that, when nothing is attached to the camera, are hardly noticeable!

OP/TECH provides the same approach with its Super Classic Uni-Loop (or Super Classic Pro) strap.  It's less expensive and the part that stays connected to the camera is much shorter with the uni-loop (longer with the Pro) and less intrusive, especially for tripod use.  They also have a wrist strap that uses the same connectors, but it's much larger diameter to hug the wrist.   I've never used the wrist strap, but the neck strap worked well when I tried it with the S....with flexible and comfortable shoulder pad and strap that folds well in a bag for transport.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I say that because I wanted something similar to you. I jump back and forth between preferring a wrist and shoulder strap (and quite frankly, no strap!), and I found something that I really like.....

After using the new Q for a few days I decided to try a thin leather shoulder strap, but one that is longer than the stock strap.  I think that I'll do the wrist-wrap less with this camera than with the Nikon D5.  

If I end up doing more wrist-wrap then I'll try this nice cloth strap:  http://shop.sunlows.com/sunlows-ORANGE-NY.html 

Edited by ralpheburns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Peak Design"Cuff" on all of my bodies.  I also have their "Leash" for other uses.

I am a viewfinder kind of guy, rarely shoot with "Live View", rarely shoot movies.  The "Q" is a natural for the cuff and the money saved buys more great wine!

These straps use a good quick-connect allowing me to change cuff to leash etc. instantly.  Each body has the connectors firmly installed.

I bought mine at Adorama with free shipping and no sales tax:   Peak Design Cuff Quick-Connecting Camera Wrist Strap

Happy image grabbing!   Henry

Has anyone tried the Scarabaeus® Holster?

It looks very interesting, well made, albeit expensive.

http://www.photoscarab.de/product

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use the Peak Design"Cuff" on all of my bodies.  I also have their "Leash" for other uses.

I am a viewfinder kind of guy, rarely shoot with "Live View", rarely shoot movies.  The "Q" is a natural for the cuff and the money saved buys more great wine!

These straps use a good quick-connect allowing me to change cuff to leash etc. instantly.  Each body has the connectors firmly installed.

I bought mine at Adorama with free shipping and no sales tax:   Peak Design Cuff Quick-Connecting Camera Wrist Strap

Happy image grabbing!   Henry

With you on this one Henry ... I use the Peak Design Cuff. Great piece of kit. 

I will never have my camera hanging round my neck, rather in a good camera bag (Domke for the Q)  Leica half case and Peak Design Cuff attached and ready for instant use. With the cuff strap on I can walk around all day if needed carrying the camera, pop it into the Domke if not going to be needed for ten minutes.  Just kinda works for me  :)

I found the following to be a good combination for both grip and security. I like to walk around with the camera in hand so forwent the neck strap:

* Leather half case by Lim's Design

* Cuff wrist strap by Peak Design

-alex

• 3 weeks later...

Question:  Does anyone have a way to get Sejun's attention at Arte de Mano from abroad?  I have only had email exchanges from him.

I ordered a case & strap over a month ago from him and only the case arrived.  I've tried to email him a half-dozen times to resolve this without reply.  While I could initiate a Paypal dispute and later go buy the strap from a Leica USA store, I prefer he just sent the strap that I paid for.

Meanwhile, buyer beware!

- Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am using the one that my friend did. He can be found at https://www.instagram.com/zaidmade/

• Like 1

I'm a sailor

Here is mine. Angello Pelle soft mocha strap and Arte Di Mano case. Really like both. The strap is nice and soft, the case fits really nice on the Q and gives some grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Eddycam elk-leather strap (black and inner side natural brown), which is very smooth and also some elastic, together with quick change from Eddycam. Works very nice. While using strap my Q is in the original protector halfcase from Leica. The M Neopren bag is used for covering the cam while hanging over shoulder.

When strap is de-mounted, I use handgrip with finger-Loop together with a little leather bag from Oberwerth (model Bayreuth). Fits nicely inside the bag, and Q is quickly "on position" when needed.