Leather Camera bag....suggestions..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hate bulk and I hate stiffness.

A bag needs to disappear as much as possible, not be heavy when empty, offer some protection but not need to be dropped off a 10 story building, its just hanging on my shoulder.

It needs to move with me and be a part of me as much as possible. 

It needs to have easy access but also some sense of security when closed up.

I really like the GCAM series from Artist and Artisan.

I have the 1100 and 7200. The 1100 is great small bag to hold the camera and just an extra lens or two and accessories.

I like it because it has good padding but the bag is nice and soft. Lightweight for leather and conforms to the body more than those heavy duty leather bags.

Good weather resistance too. Did a stint in some rain in Florence and it performed great.

And ya gotta love the red interiors.  ;)

I like the leather bags at Saddleback leather, and I really want one of their bags. 

However - none of them are designed to actually meet the needs of photographers, in spite of the fact that they make a couple of bags that they bill as "camera bags."  Given that, and the fact that they adamantly refuse to to let a potential customer design his own bag that will fit his specific design needs, I am left with nothing but frustration and dissatisfaction when it comes to their products, as well as their disregard for the needs of photographers who would be their customers.

If Saddleback wants to insist on treating potential customers like square pegs to be pounded into round holes, that is their prerogative.  However, when a person wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a leather camera bag to transport  and protect thousands of dollars worth of cameras and lenses, some consideration of effective and useful design should take precedence over convenience for the manufacturer.  Since this is not the case with Saddleback, it is my prerogative to spend my money with bag manufacturers who actually care about the needs of photographers who are their customers - which is precisely what I do. 

Why should a photographer be forced to settle for a bag design that does him/her no good and costs hundreds of dollars?  The answer is simple:  He/she should not.

I actually find the Saddleback Leather bags quite good for camera equipment. I rarely just carry camera equipment when I travel and need space for various items. The small Leather Satchel is 3.2 pounds which is about the same as dedicated leather camera bags in the same size range, but they are much more durable. I've laid that bag down in the floor board of a jeep while spending the day on 4-wheel drive only roads all day long and never worried about the contents. The messenger style does not look like a camera bag which is a plus for me. I used to carry the large leather satchel to work every day before I retired and it held up like a tank. The thick leather helps absorb shock without being a hard sided case. The large satchel is the only one in the bunch that can carry a water bottle in the outside pocket, but I can stll clip on my Klean Kanteen on the strap snap on either messenger bag. Tripods can even be strapped to the bottom D-rings on both my Leather Satchels.

I've been through a half dozen other bags including Think Tank, Gura Gear, etc. The only non Saddleback Leather case I still have is a waterproof Pelican case for taking my equipment out on boats.

I actually find the Saddleback Leather bags quite good for camera equipment. I rarely just carry camera equipment when I travel and need space for various items. The small Leather Satchel is 3.2 pounds which is about the same as dedicated leather camera bags in the same size range, but they are much more durable. I've laid that bag down in the floor board of a jeep while spending the day on 4-wheel drive only roads all day long and never worried about the contents. The messenger style does not look like a camera bag which is a plus for me. I used to carry the large leather satchel to work every day before I retired and it held up like a tank. The thick leather helps absorb shock without being a hard sided case. The large satchel is the only one in the bunch that can carry a water bottle in the outside pocket, but I can stll clip on my Klean Kanteen on the strap snap on either messenger bag. Tripods can even be strapped to the bottom D-rings on both my Leather Satchels.

I've been through a half dozen other bags including Think Tank, Gura Gear, etc. The only non Saddleback Leather case I still have is a waterproof Pelican case for taking my equipment out on boats.

I can understand that others have different opinions than mine but, I ordered several different products from this company and although they returned the bags without question and get high marks for being great on this account, I just can't understand why they use such thick, heavy leather in their design.  These bags are monster heavy.

• Like 1

I can understand that others have different opinions than mine but, I ordered several different products from this company and although they returned the bags without question and get high marks for being great on this account, I just can't understand why they use such thick, heavy leather in their design.  These bags are monster heavy.

I compared these two bags (in hand) and ended up with the Saddleback Leather Satchel

ONA Berlin II Camera Messenger Bag

Exterior Dimensions: 12.5” W x 10” H x 4.5" D

Interior Dimensions: 11” W x 8.5” H x 3.5" D

Weight: 3.1 pounds

Saddleback Leather Small Leather Satchel

Exterior: 10” W x 9” H x 4” D

Interior: 9 ¾” W x 8 ¾” H x 3 ¾” D

Weight: 3.2 pounds

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Tenba mini messenger bag ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742855-REG/Tenba_638_368_Photo_Laptop_Messenger_Bag_Mini.html ) and I have to say that I'm very pleased with it; the design is excellent with features that photographers need in real world use.  It is not huge, but has room for accessories and even 2-3 extra lenses, if you are so inclined. The weight is 1.8 pounds and in terms of durability, 1000D cordura is up to any challenge a photographer can throw at it, short of dragging it through a war zone behind a tank.

B&H has apparently stopped carrying the Tenba mini messenger but they are still available on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-Mini-Messenger-Bag-Orange/dp/B004AYD33I/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1442326978&sr=8-4&keywords=Tenba+Photo%2FLaptop+Messenger+Bag+%28Mini ).  There are several colors and two larges sizes, if the mini is too small. 

I have found this bag to be nearly perfect for everyday carry of my M-P with the 35/2 'cron lens and a second lens (no, it is not made of "Rich Corinthian Leather," but I have not yet died as a result of this barbarism).

Edited by Carlos Danger

Carlos, if you like a heavy bag or for that matter are into bags then that is great.  Remember, I'm the anti-bag guy.  I have through the years gotten away from bags.  I have a couple of zippered rigid storage organizers that I put my lenses and accessories in and a Leica camera case.  I just dump it all into my travel pack with everything else and I'm good to go.  Once at my destination I leave it all in the car or hotel and take the naked M out with a couple of lenses in my pockets.  No bags to carray around and especially no worries about who they might attract.  Simple.

My wife still carries a purse, though.  :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I compared these two bags (in hand) and ended up with the Saddleback Leather Satchel

ONA Berlin II Camera Messenger Bag

Exterior Dimensions: 12.5” W x 10” H x 4.5" D

Interior Dimensions: 11” W x 8.5” H x 3.5" D

Weight: 3.1 pounds

Saddleback Leather Small Leather Satchel

Exterior: 10” W x 9” H x 4” D

Interior: 9 ¾” W x 8 ¾” H x 3 ¾” D

Weight: 3.2 pounds

Holy smokes!  Neither my Barbour Tarras nor full-leather Billingham Hadley weigh that much.  In fact they really don't weigh any more than the canvas ones.  Canvas isn't a lightweight material, probably why backpacking tents have been made of nylon for many years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy smokes!  Neither my Barbour Tarras nor full-leather Billingham Hadley weigh that much.  In fact they really don't weigh any more than the canvas ones.  Canvas isn't a lightweight material, probably why backpacking tents have been made of nylon for many years.

The Billingham Hadley Pro weighs 2.2 pounds, is marginally larger than the ONA Berlin II and weighs 0.9 pounds less.  Leather is nice, but I keep coming back to the Billingham bags.  When compared to the Fogg satchels, the Bill Had Pro is $500 less than a similar sized Fogg and $140 less than the Berlin II, which makes the Hadley Pro even more compelling.

I am coming to the conclusion that full leather construction in a camera bag is not worth the weight and cost penalties involved.

Edited by Carlos Danger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ona is good for Q

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have 4 Brady bags already, but this one looks really nice.

http://www.bradybags.co.uk/shop/Camera-Bags/28/Kennet-camera-bag-/

Brady bags resemble Billingham, but they are of a much higher quality.

(The fellow who started Billingham had worked at Brady.)

Rafael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have 4 Brady bags already, but this one looks really nice.

http://www.bradybags.co.uk/shop/Camera-Bags/28/Kennet-camera-bag-/

Brady bags resemble Billingham, but they are of a much higher quality.

(The fellow who started Billingham had worked at Brady.)

Rafael

How is it higher quality? I can't tell from their pictures.

How is it higher quality? I can't tell from their pictures.

I don't think anyone could tell from a picture

Look at a Brady bag. You will be able to see right away. Find out where Brady is sold and look at one alongside your Billingham.

for me ...?....it's ...........The thickness of the material. The strap quality. The grade of leather. etc.

• Like 1