Leather Camera bag....suggestions..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the problems in Europe with BSE, cattle are slaughtered at a much younger age than they used to be years ago. As a result the hide isn't as thick.

A friend of mine has a vintage car which uses thick leather for the clutch. He has to buy it in from India as the thickness of leather he requires is no longer available.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not buy whatever leather bag you like best and add some protective inserts for your camera gear? That's what I did with this bag: http://www.jackspade.com/mill-leather-field-messenger/NYRU0925.html

Many great suggestions here :) One thing I love about the Ryker, is the interior is lined with supersoft microfibre, of a grain and type you might use to wipe a lens. The Zippeer is well guarded with the same. I like being able to close the top with the zipper. That way when I slam on the brakes and my bag flies from the passenger seat to the floor, doing a half-flip, nothing comes out. And the Ryker is well padded so I don't worry I just de-aligned My M9 ;)

What a great Post" for the neredowells they now have a great picture library of expensive camera bags and of course the equipment therein.. Camera bags on front seats, what temptation! I've seen a Rolex ripped off a drivers wrist while stopped at traffic lights..

Security is more than locking your Front Door when you leave home.. Be Aware""

What a great Post" for the neredowells they now have a great picture library of expensive camera bags and of course the equipment therein.. Camera bags on front seats, what temptation! I've seen a Rolex ripped off a drivers wrist while stopped at traffic lights..

Security is more than locking your Front Door when you leave home.. Be Aware""

LOL where I live, few lock their houses, and most leave the keys in their cars while shopping. Biggest danger is hitting wildlife on the highway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LOL where I live, few lock their houses, and most leave the keys in their cars while shopping. Biggest danger is hitting wildlife on the highway.

Plus.......nobody there owns anything of much value?

Or.........nobody lives there. Period.

Edited by jdlaing

Plus.......nobody there owns anything of much value?

Or.........nobody lives there. Period.

Wrong on all counts, as usual :)

Here's our silly little stage:

20414319225_ec6516aa08_b.jpg

Stage by unoh7, on Flickr

nothing worth having around here:

16239443951_e3d76b5b62_b.jpg

L1026533 by unoh7, on Flickr

People live in caves:

13099070174_dbd7555821_b.jpg

L1006335 by unoh7, on Flickr

and of course no culture:

13098826815_0cc778bd62_b.jpg

L1006270 by unoh7, on Flickr

Yup, nobody and noone of value "Period", BC, or as we in the mists put it: "." ;)

All we do is dream of a nice big filthy dangerous city, where you have to lock your underpants at night. Unfortunately, the nearest one is a 5 hour drive. I go there once every decade or so. Very quaint. :)

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

Saddleback Leather is a good source for traditional leather bags that offer more protection. I've sold all my camera bags over the years and slowly replaced them with Saddleback products. I end up using the size that works best given the situation.

i-GRqsVpX-XL.jpg

i-9ckj8mV-XL.jpg

I also have three different Crumpler Haven inserts that I switch between the bags. They provide an extra level to help seal out dirt in extremely dusty environments. The products above include the large and small Leather Satchel and the small and medium Gadget Bag. The small Leather Satchel  is used the most, but I end up using the others enough to justify keeping them.

Edited by KanzaKruzer
  • Like 2

I like the leather bags at Saddleback leather, and I really want one of their bags. 

However - none of them are designed to actually meet the needs of photographers, in spite of the fact that they make a couple of bags that they bill as "camera bags."  Given that, and the fact that they adamantly refuse to to let a potential customer design his own bag that will fit his specific design needs, I am left with nothing but frustration and dissatisfaction when it comes to their products, as well as their disregard for the needs of photographers who would be their customers.

If Saddleback wants to insist on treating potential customers like square pegs to be pounded into round holes, that is their prerogative.  However, when a person wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a leather camera bag to transport  and protect thousands of dollars worth of cameras and lenses, some consideration of effective and useful design should take precedence over convenience for the manufacturer.  Since this is not the case with Saddleback, it is my prerogative to spend my money with bag manufacturers who actually care about the needs of photographers who are their customers - which is precisely what I do. 

Why should a photographer be forced to settle for a bag design that does him/her no good and costs hundreds of dollars?  The answer is simple:  He/she should not.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

About 15 years ago I ordered one of Saddleback's large bags and it was way to heavy to be remotely practical as a travel bag.  I can not recommend them for anything other than an object of beauty... they do look very nice.

There, I actually posted a serious comment in a bag thread.  Pico, forgive me.

Rick

Leather bags are nice to look at, but they are not water resistant, and they are usually at least twice the weight of their canvas counterparts, thus rendering them as the poor choice compared to modern canvas products. Using those big heavy leather bags full with Leica lenses and a camera is a sure way of getting painful shoulders if you walk around for a couple of hours, and in that case you should actually rather be using a backpack, as shoulder bags are generally horrible for your blood circulation, posture, neck, shoulder, and basically everything. Use your head, not your bags.

• Like 2

Just get one of the old Leica M leather bags, small for a camera with two/three lenses, large for a camera with 4/5. Very nice  leather, good protection, light and weather resistant. Not too expensive on eBay.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have exactly the above bag (slightly different... no red dot but a larger "Leica" embossed - black on black) : good for M240 + (28 50 135) or (21 35 90) , with hoods and the EVF , and the external pocket can accomodate a small portable table tripod, a pair of extension tubes and something else : don't need anymore. Bought used at a dealer... in conjunction with a lens deal for 50 Euros on top of the final price...

• Like 1

I have probably replied on this thread already.  Own several leather bags but I always return quickly to my Billingham bags due to weight difference and functionality and durability.  Leather bags look fashionable and cool, but I prefer not to lug them around. Not spending any more money on them.

• Like 3