Leather Camera bag....suggestions..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I've been trawling the web sites for a a new camera bag. I need something relatively small to carry an MP 240 with lens and spare lens (noctilux size), plus enough room for phone and little bits and bobs. Just wondered if any of you had any recommendations. I've looked at Ona bags and not keen on having something looking like a satchel..would like something classic, Quality leather and not bulky. Any suggestions gratefully received.....I'm based in the Uk.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Marc ist right. There is no perfect camera bag. The Ona Bowery is nearly perfect in my opinion and looks nice. But it is far too heavy.

The Headley digital is also nearly perfect, but it is canvas, not leather.

Look for this:

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2015/01/adam-marelli-x-slow-tools-bags-specs-and-dimensions/

Perhaps You find someone, who makes the perfect bag individually for You.

Elmar

• Like 1

+1 for the ona bowery.   mine is leather (and somewhat heavy) but perfect size.  have a look in the enjoyyourcamera and monochrom online catalogs - pretty good choice in both.

good luck

rick

Edited by rickp13
  • Like 1

I agree with comments above, that leather is heavy.

But if you insist and money is no object, then http://www.fastandprime.com/ :o

I had the Ona Brixton in leather but sold it - too heavy.

I have a small leather bag for camera/lens and spare lens, but it was made to my own design by a local leather bag maker. It has no padding (the material, seams and gussets provide excellent protection), and at that size it is light enough. Its weather proofing is not as good as it could be (design failure!), so at that size I alternate between that bag and a Domke F5XB (lousy padding, but great weather protection)

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I have been using a Fogg bag for a year and half an very happy with it so far. The built quality is premium and I find the design rather beautiful. Besides it is a really small business and to deal with them was a real pleasure. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input and advice, appreciate it.....also for pointing me in the direction for other threads. I'm new to this forum so helpful tips are always appreciated. As in most things, its a personal choice. My previous bag was too big and bulky, to accommodate a DSLR and couple of large lenses. The one I want needs to be small (ish) and just for an MP 240 with lens on,  plus a second lens. I'll surf the suggestions you have given. Thank you. :)

not keen on having something looking like a satchel..would like something classic,

I don't understand this.  Classic leather camera bags were stiff and boxy.  Satchels are supple and slim and ride close to the hip.  

I have 2 full-leather bags I find hold a Leica kit nicely.  One is a Billingham Hadley, but IIRC it was a limited edition and would have to be found on the used market.  The other is a Barbour Tarras, which is a clone of the Hadley and accepts the insert.  Neither of these bags is noticeably heavier than my canvas or Nytex Hadley's.  I was not impressed by the quality of ONA's compared with Billingham.  And Billingham is a long-established company with a long history in camera bag making, and customer service second to none.  Important to be for a bag costing hundreds of dollars.

$_35.JPG Full-leather Billingham Hadley

2099scale3.jpegBarbour Tarras leather

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 1

Billingham and Fogg are excellent bags. Both made in England therefore perfect in a temperate climate when rain is always a possibility. The canvas is of such quality that it is impervious to water ... the canvas swells just like good quality tent canvas. They breathe because they are canvas. Billingham made fishing bags originally. If you can stick a bag on damp ground next to a river and keep things dry then it is good enough for a camera.

Recently I bought 2nd hand Fogg bag quite cheaply because the leather bits were a bit worn. A drop of saddle soap sorted that out. Now it looks like new.

Also I have a Leitz leather bag which I used for a while. The leather is top quality and IIRC the bags were sold for Leica R cameras. It takes the M240 and a couple of lenses plus all sorts of extras. I plan to sell it as it is only used to hold spare lenses.

• Like 1

Hi, I've been trawling the web sites for a a new camera bag. I need something relatively small to carry an MP 240 with lens and spare lens (noctilux size), plus enough room for phone and little bits and bobs. Just wondered if any of you had any recommendations. I've looked at Ona bags and not keen on having something looking like a satchel..would like something classic, Quality leather and not bulky. Any suggestions gratefully received.....I'm based in the Uk.

What I am using for M240 + two lenses is the Black Label Bag Evans Walker Mark II from Photo Village in New York City. It's very nicely made, treated canvas and leather trim ... A trim size, it can fit more than just that when you need, but is not overly large or overly padded. The padded camera section is removable too, for general purpose use as a day bag. It is protective to the equipment and comfortable to wear. A link: http://photovillage.com/product.php?productid=2888&cat=0&page=1

G

Edited by ramarren

Consider also the Henri Bag from Angelo Pelle, from Florence. It looks like it would be in your specs and a good quality/price ratio. I am currently using the Billingham digital but considering that one as it is smaller.

• Like 1

Would strongly  second (ok third or fourth) Fogg.  Have had several for over 15 years.  To me they look great, hold up well, weigh next to nothing and do well with weather as stated.

bee and Nigel are perfectionists and make many models.  My favorite is b minor however make some smaller ones so best to carefully examine and remember you can create your own arrangement inside.

Edited by efreed2754

Billingham and Fogg are excellent bags. Both made in England therefore perfect in a temperate climate when rain is always a possibility. The canvas is of such quality that it is impervious to water ... the canvas swells just like good quality tent canvas. They breathe because they are canvas. Billingham made fishing bags originally. If you can stick a bag on damp ground next to a river and keep things dry then it is good enough for a camera.

Recently I bought 2nd hand Fogg bag quite cheaply because the leather bits were a bit worn. A drop of saddle soap sorted that out. Now it looks like new.

Also I have a Leitz leather bag which I used for a while. The leather is top quality and IIRC the bags were sold for Leica R cameras. It takes the M240 and a couple of lenses plus all sorts of extras. I plan to sell it as it is only used to hold spare lenses.

Nigel and bee have been in France for some years so Fogg bags are made there.  If you are looking at a Fogg, consider the b-sharpe, as I think it suites a Leica outfit well and has a useful handle on top. Apart from the cost disadvantage, you might also have to wait some time for delivery. 

Personally I wouldn't touch a leather bag. Their weight compared to synthetics or canvas completely negate the low weight advantages of my Leica system.  I find many of them too OTT, and potentially become more of a target by screaming out "well I'm a really expensive camera bag with preally expensive equipment inside me!"

For carrying more equipment around I use a black Crumpler 5 Million Dollar bag, but when going out just for the day I like to be as compact and light-weight as possible so I use a Hadley Digital or Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home (similar capacity) or a Black Label Ockar's One Day Bag with an extra divider.  The Black Label is more of a satchel and I'm starting to come around to satchels. Of course many of the smaller Leica lenses can be stacked in twos so the smaller bags can still easily get 4 lenses in them should I choose (rarely) to take that many.  I find that where possible I'm now taking my smaller lenses - 2.8/28 Elmarit, 2.8/50 Elmar-M, 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar or perhaps just the MATE with one other lens).

http://www.crumpler.com/au/camera-bags-straps/4-mdh

satchel http://blacklabelbags.com/_products/oskars_one_day_bag_mark_ii.htm)

Edited by MarkP

Marc ist right. There is no perfect camera bag. The Ona Bowery is nearly perfect in my opinion and looks nice. But it is far too heavy.

The Headley digital is also nearly perfect, but it is canvas, not leather.

Look for this:

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2015/01/adam-marelli-x-slow-tools-bags-specs-and-dimensions/

Perhaps You find someone, who makes the perfect bag individually for You.

Elmar

I follow Adam's site now and then (and like it a lot), but somehow missed this bag and his input in its design. It looks pretty cool. Anyone seen or used one? Not cheap, of course.

Edited by ramosa

I have both the Bellingham Hadley small and the larger Hadley Pro. the Hadley small as great for 1 camera with lens + another lens and you can also slip an iPad air 2, wallet batteries etc into it. In fact I can fit the Leica Q and Sony A7 + 55mm lens into it. Hadley pro is bigger and you can add pockets on the end if needed. I have used them for ages and still have a Billingham 550 which I have used on and off for nearly 30  years  

Edited by viramati