50 with the crop

KallumR

Arms out straight, outstretched fingertips,1 foot apart...is how to see the world.. ^_^

I've got ltm's, Summicron collapsible, Canon f1.4 and 1.2, and a Jupiter-50 f2...nice for a range of photography.

A 35mm lens will give you the old classic 50mm view using the M8 sensor. A wider lens is also a better viewfinder experience...the 50mm frames in the classic M8 feels a bit small for viewing area....Having said that the 50mm on the M8 is easy to use...uses the lens middle "sweetspot"...and is the ultimate image for the Leica M8 with best practise lenses and disciplined photography.

At 3m distance the field of view is 1.6 m across.

cheers Dave S :)

Edited by david strachan

• 2 weeks later...

I use it with lenses that are center-sharp, such as the Jupiter-3, Sonnar 5cm, and Minolta 50/1.4. The latter converted from Minolta SLR mount. Use it with a 50mm lens that focuses to 0.65m ~ 0.75m, you can get some nice close-up shots.

15853034731_759dfd4df7_o.jpg;Red Dot, Gunston Hall, Fall 2014 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Edited by fiftyonepointsix
  • Like 1

I just bought a 2.5 summarit for my M8 as got a brand new one for an excellent price in the states. It's coded too. I had a look at the newer one too, but while nice, I actually prefer the older design as they are smaller and I just prefer the design to be honest. Seems to work well so far and was a good option for street photography while I was away. I also have a 25mm voigtlander for everything else which I've also found to be pretty good for the money.

Also if you have an IR filter for an existing older E39 lens, and buy a newer lens (E46 I think they are) then your existing IR won't fit = another £100!

Edited by Lewis

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It does not feel like a telephoto. It feels like a "long" 50. I have two 50's and don't use them very often on the M8.2. It's just a bit tight for normal, everyday work. The 35mm covers the "50" better. I don't have a 75 but the 90mm does feel like a telephoto. I believe you need at least a 105mm to feel like a telephoto. The 75mm comes in at 100mm equivalent so it'd be pretty nice.