Who's dropped his Q ?

• 4 months later...

Mine fell off a shelf about 2 meters high onto a wooden floor! The camera was wrapped in a 2mm soft neoprene case, and suffered no damage. When I first turned it on, there was a red error message, but this went away when I removed and replaced the battery. Functions flawlessly now.

Ive smacked my Q on the ground which dented the bottom plate and resulted in the battery latch not being able to open and created a small crack inside the corner of the EVF. i took it to Leica Mayfair about a 3 weeks ago and was quoted 4-6 weeks to get the base plate and EVF orderd, the base plate requiring the most amount of time since they have to paint the serial number on the bottom. 

So i called them up today and was told the base plate is ready but the EVF is a special order and will be arriving sometime in October!! 

Its all covered under Leica passport but the fact that i have to wait over 4 months is ridiculous. 

Guest jvansmit

Ive smacked my Q on the ground which dented the bottom plate and resulted in the battery latch not being able to open and created a small crack inside the corner of the EVF. i took it to Leica Mayfair about a 3 weeks ago and was quoted 4-6 weeks to get the base plate and EVF orderd, the base plate requiring the most amount of time since they have to paint the serial number on the bottom. 

So i called them up today and was told the base plate is ready but the EVF is a special order and will be arriving sometime in October!! 

Its all covered under Leica passport but the fact that i have to wait over 4 months is ridiculous. 

my Q has a small 2.5mm scrape on the baseplate edge where it rubbed against some rough concrete, and Leica informed me that the warranty is now invalidated

my Q has a small 2.5mm scrape on the baseplate edge where it rubbed against some rough concrete, and Leica informed me that the warranty is now invalidated

That is a pathetic thing for Leica to say. Imagine if Ford or Citroen tried to take the same attitude !!!

Woeful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tell me its a joke !?

If that happens to me and Leica tells me this, not only I send them my lawyer but I'd say goodbye forever!

Edited by Voxen

If you have a leica passport within warranty it will cover you within the first year, including accidently damage, but it will not cover cosmetic damages. If you are saying that your warranty is now void because of a scuff mark then that's just taking the piss.

Guest jvansmit

If you have a leica passport within warranty it will cover you within the first year, including accidently damage, but it will not cover cosmetic damages. If you are saying that your warranty is now void because of a scuff mark then that's just taking the piss.

Leica customer care insisted that the camera was dropped (it was not). The damage was clearly a scape mark with striations about 2-3mm long but not an impact dent. The entire lens assembly needed to be replaced due to a minor issue with the focus locking tab which wouldn't lock when switching from manual to auto focus, and I was told I'd have to pay $1,600.

Eventually, I appealed to Leica's chairman via Facebook who very kindly arranged a solution at 10% of the quoted cost. The local HK distributor then added their 'service fee'.

Apparently, the warranty on my Q is no longer valid so I baby it like no other camera I've owned.

Here's the resolution response by Leica Customer care:

"Regarding your Leica Q camera: let me suggest that we share the repair costs, i.e. we take over the majority of the costs and only charge Schmidt approx. 10% of the first estimated amount. We believe that this is fair offer which either takes in consideration your loyalty to the Leica brand but also the fact that the camera suffered an impact damage which cannot rule out a delayed effect of the locking mechanism of the lens."

My view is that the fault was clearly a quality issue, and had absolutely nothing to do with the scrape damage on the camera baseplate (which was still there when I got the camera back).

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all, im new to this forum and I'm on the same boat with all of you.

Just dropped my Q on concrete due to combination of seoul's -17 degree celcius and changing battery in the middle of the street.

Just wondering if the warranty is automatically consider as invalid if dropped/impacted?

I bought my leica from hongkong distributor which supposedly will have international warranty, but when i dropped the leica to service center in singapore, these are the description:

Description Qty ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10000 190-00

Q (Typ 116), black anodized

Serial number: ( 5202xxx )

General condition of product: traces of use

Service details:

impact - top cover dented error on LCD

Warranty:

no

Accessories: front cap

filter B+W

hot shoe cover lens hood

Supplies sent in

Filter

Hot Shoe Cover Front cap

Thank you beforehand.

Best regards,

Octo

I would imagine if the camera is repaired by an authorised Leica dealer/service centre the warranty would remain valid. Can they nor confirm?

I only dropped by the authorized service center to have them check the error, and left the camera there. They did not ask for the paperwork etc. After a while a I got an email stating the description i posted above.

Below are the error that sometime occurs after the drop. Prior to drop, sometime my camera would freeze on mr while i shoot or reviewing picture, and the only cure is to reinstall the battery.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk