Who's dropped his Q ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found it strange that my Q came without the standard US Passport warranty card. As such, I wonder ifthe warranty covers dropping like the Leica M lenses do. I know my insurance covers dropping etc, but wonder about Leica Q warranty as it pertains to US owners.

Edited by algrove

That line made me laugh, probably because I relate to it so much. The T is the one camera I have treated with the utmost care, not because of cost (it's actually the cheapest Leica I've ever purchased after getting a great deal on a used one) but because it really does feel like a sculptured piece of art.

The flash on it though is very much like the door spring and battery lock on the X line, insanely fragile. The copy I got looked un-used but after testing it for 5 minutes the flash stopped popping up after the second try. Luckily I purchased from a dealer rather then an individual and they secured me what seemed like a brand new copy (or refurbished) from Leica.

Not content with doing it once, I then did it again.

I'm always careful with new gear, as I haven't built up the habitual reflexes; but with the T, I had a senior moment - twice in about 10 minutes. Thank God for insurance, and Leica repairs.

Cheers

John

• 3 months later...

Yep, dropped my Q in Singapore towards the end of my vacation.  Far wasn't too far... bent over to get a drink out of a vending machine, and the camera tumbled out of the holster since I didn't snap it shut.  The aluminum base is dented and the battery door takes effort to open.  Camera showed error on power on, but has been fine since.

Pissed at myself and dropped it off with Leica Soho NYC to get a new base and battery door.  We'll see how long that takes since there's a serial number etched in the base.  Guessing it's a $500+ stupidity tax for me.

After almost 4 months, I got the call to pick up my repaired Q.  Leica charged me... $25.59.  This was an accident that I am fully at fault for, and covered by goodwill.  Lesson learned, camera is in like-new shape, and this alone probably made a Leica customer for life.  There was no good reason for them to not charge me $500-$700.  The store manager couldn't believe it either.

• Like 4

I dropped my Q tonight, after fumbling with gloves on a cold winter night. It fell from waist height onto the concrete ground. My heart stopped. When I picked up the camera it was laying on it's top and there didn't appear to be any damage. I got the error message everybody else seems to get right after powering it on, but the message disappeared after another off/on cycle. I proceeded to take pictures through the evening but when I inspected the camera indoors later I noted a corner ding in the bottom left corner of the back side and another ding up near the knurled thumb knob. I also found that the knob turns stiffly now, but otherwise appears to function normally. 

I'm really disappointed at my clumsiness especially since I've only had the camera a couple of weeks. I think I will just live with it since Leica seems to take forever to get the camera back from repair, even if they don't charge an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

Related to my post above, I've noticed that when the camera is either on or off, if I gently shake the camera left and right there is a faint thunk as though there is something heavy moving inside. It's subtle, but noticeable. This is not the image stabilization issue that others have reported where there is a faint clicking audible when the camera is off which disappears once the camera has been powered on. Since I didn't have the camera very long before I dropped it, I don't remember if this is normal behavior for an undropped Q. 

Perhaps this is the wrong thread since I presume most of you reading this have also dropped their Q! Still, if anyone out there has a camera that hasn't been dropped, can you check for me whether or not this is normal. Other than this issue and the issue I reported above with the knurled thumb knob the camera works flawlessly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for sharing!

Dropped mine yesterday at the security check conveyor belt (at border entrance into Singapore) 

Luckily, nothing bad happened to the camera! 

Maybe it's because I placed the camera inside a waist bag, the waist bag is not a camera bag, hence, it's surface is slippery and easily slides off from the conveyor belt.

Lesson learned. Get a proper camera bag!

I have never dropped my Q or any other camera. That said, for peace of mind, I still always have a special insurance policy on my camera gear. Well worth it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I dropped my Q and it stopped working altogether. Hoping for the same outcome as for Alee, but I'm guessing I will have to pay for my stupidity.... :(

Got my Q back from Leica today after 6 weeks in repair. Dropped my camera and it stopped working. So Leica repaired it for me. This is how the repair sheet looked:

Description:

exchange lens
repair/replace electronics
adjust zoom mechanism
adjust zoom mechanism
adjustment of all parts

Necessary parts:
Lens, complete 1,000 ST

Final amount in EUR: 00.00

Im considering my self a very lucky bastard  :D Thank you Leica!  :wub:
  • Like 1

Guest jvansmit

Got my Q back from Leica today after 6 weeks in repair. Dropped my camera and it stopped working. So Leica repaired it for me. This is how the repair sheet looked:

Description:

exchange lens
adjust zoom mechanism
adjust zoom mechanism
adjustment of all parts

Necessary parts:
Lens, complete 1,000 ST

you're very lucky ! This is the factory quote for my Q:

General conditon of product: Trace of used, display scratched, impact.

Necessary labour costs: Exchange focal length adjustment ring, exchange lettering ring/ classification, adjustment of all parts.

Necessary materials: Lens, complete.

Repair cost : HK$12,550.00 (EUR1500)

Necessary labour costs: Exchange focal length adjustment ring, exchange lettering ring/ classification, adjustment of all parts.

Wow. I feel your pain. So sorry for that.  :unsure:

I have had a couple of accidents.  In the summer I slipped down a muddy bank into a river and the camera was covered in muddy water.  Initially the manual focusing sounded slightly crunchy,  but the camera worked perfectly.  This winter I feel into deep snow with the camera around my neck,  the lens shade acting as a tiny snow shovel. The camera was wet all over, although I was able to  dry quickly.  All systems working.  

Guest jvansmit

Just an update on this, after lots of emails, I've just heard from Leica that they will now fix my camera under warranty with a small service charge which I'm very happy with.

A big thank you to Andreas Kaufmann for personally messaging me.

:)

Just an update on this, after lots of emails, I've just heard from Leica that they will now fix my camera under warranty with a small service charge which I'm very happy with.

A big thank you to Andreas Kaufmann for personally messaging me.

:)

Congrats! And well done Leica!

:D

Description:

exchange lens
adjust zoom mechanism
adjust zoom mechanism
adjustment of all parts

Necessary parts:
Lens, complete 1,000 ST

Wow lucky you they seemed also turned it into a zoom lens at the same time  :D