Flash SF24D disables AF-Lock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just found something slightly annoying when using the 24-SFD (A-Mode) and the Q. I know, it is not the latest flash model, but however, it reasonable in size and I have it ...

Problem: When I activate the flash and try to lock focus by pressing the shutter button half-way, the focus is instantly unlocked again (focus box becomes green for a split of a second and then white again).

Now I can configure the Q to only focus when pressing the AF/AE lock button, but this configuration is not my preferred one in all circumstances. And yes, I can manually focus, too. Any thoughts on this or anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't think the problem is with the flash - as soon as I have access to other flashes, I will try. I do not really care if TTL is supported. A mode is fine. It is just that the camera behaves differently in that it stops locking focus, when the shutter button is half-pressed and refocusses again, when it releases the shutter. Focus/recompose is therefore not working (short of the other two options I mentioned in my first post).

• 1 month later...

Same SF24 flash and same issue with the focus locking when shutter half pressed and then unlocking.

I have been playing with the settings but nothing has changed.

Flash works fine in "A" mode otherwise. TLL not working at all.

Anybody else find a fix / work around?

• 4 weeks later...

Same SF24 flash and same issue with the focus locking when shutter half pressed and then unlocking.

I have been playing with the settings but nothing has changed.

Flash works fine in "A" mode otherwise. TLL not working at all.

Anybody else find a fix / work around?

Same problem, no TTL. Has anyone solved this?

• 1 year later...

I know this post is a few years' old but the Focus Problems with SF-24D in A mode on Q could be solved by putting a thin durable tape on the hot shoe.It should cover up the two contacts before the centre one.  I used a water proof fabric tape. The SF-24D works quite well using this method. In fact I placed a piece of Lee "228" Brush Silk Filter screen inside the Wide Angle adapter. The diffused light seems to work quite well.

A photo to show the tape on Leica Q

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7078399_91396554_4712132

Kingson

• Like 1