Rumor: Leica Announcement Later this Year

Interesting suggestion! I was wondering the same when I saw panasonic GX8!

I'm assuming that by MF Pico means 'Medium Format' and not 'Micro Four-thirds'.......if that's what you meant.

Edited by stevelap

Of course, by "delay" I am referring to the small subset of T lenses released thus far which strikes most as odd and of course I don't know what is Leica's schedule is.  Duh.

As far as focal length, your answer doesn't explain how the T 23mm will work of a FF camera.  Obviously on the T it is the equivalent of a 35mm lens as far as what the sensor receives.  The T is not a full frame camera, in case you didn't know.  So, if you know everything, how will the T 23mm work or not on a full frame camera?

In general terms.  To fully cover a full-frame sensor a lens needs to project an image circle of 43.27mm and to fully cover an APS-C sensor a smaller projected image circle of around 28mm is required (there are slightly different sizes of APS sensor in use).  Hence APS-C lenses can be made smaller and lighter than their equivalent full-frame cousins.  And that smaller image circle is why, for example, a Nikkor DX lens designed for Nikon's APS-C cameras produces a heavily cropped image when mounted on a Nikon FX (full-frame) body (and DX lenses can be mounted on an FX body since they both use the Nikon F mount).  

Back to Leica, I do not know what image circle T lenses project but they are designed for an APS-C sensor body and they are small..........

(Regarding Michael, he might not know everything but he's likely to know more about Leica than most of us here  ;).  Some forum members are beta testers/engineers/dealers/journalists and therefore likely to be more 'in the know' than the average poster, MJH falls into that group).

Edited by stevelap

In general terms.  To fully cover a full-frame sensor a lens needs to project an image circle of 43.27mm and to fully cover an APS-C sensor a smaller projected image circle of around 28mm is required (there are slightly different sizes of APS sensor in use).  Hence APS-C lenses can be made smaller and lighter than their equivalent full-frame cousins.  And that smaller image circle is why, for example, a Nikkor DX lens designed for Nikon's APS-C cameras produces a heavily cropped image when mounted on a Nikon FX (full-frame) body (and DX lenses can be mounted on an FX body since they both use the Nikon F mount).  

Back to Leica, I do not know what image circle T lenses project but they are designed for an APS-C sensor body and they are small..........

(Regarding Michael, he might not know everything but he's likely to know more about Leica than most of us here  ;).  Some forum members are beta testers/engineers/dealers/journalists and therefore likely to be more 'in the know' than the average poster, MJH falls into that group).

I got it already, but thanks for the further info.

• Like 1

I would be very much surprised if this new camera were not based on the Q.  As it is, the Q is very much underutilized with its fixed lens.  The natural succession would be a Q with a zoom lens with a model with interchangeable lenses to follow.  However it is also a known fact that Leica needs a full frame, interchangeable, autofocus camera.  The Q would lend itself very much to that.  It could easily be equipped with an electronic rangefinder in addition to the electronic viewfinder it has.  Leica has an incredible line of lenses within the M-system.  By using the same lens designs, but with an autofocus system, Leica would have a definite competitor in this field.  Even the M mount could be used, although that is not a necessity.  A new lens mount would, however, have to be able to take current M lenses with an adapter.  I seriously doubt that Leica would do away with the M system as we have it now, however, with newer technology, it might be possible to slim the cameras down a bit.  I will be in Wetzlar in the middle of September for a private tour of the facility.  I hope to be able to find out more about this new camera then.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting suggestion! I was wondering the same when I saw panasonic GX8!

Well I had a look at the Panasonic GX8 these days and a fine preview on dpreview. The camera is bigger than the GX7, ( and why for MFT?) has IS and AF and reminded me of the Digilux 2 (except the grip)

One could suggest put a T bayonet and the sensor of the Q on it and the camera is already there. Sounds plausible, isn't?

Just my thougts.

Well I had a look at the Panasonic GX8 these days and a fine preview on dpreview. The camera is bigger than the GX7, ( and why for MFT?) has IS and AF and reminded me of the Digilux 2 (except the grip)

It's such a shame because I was originally attracted to Micro Four-Thirds for the smaller camera body sizes (partially enabled by lack of viewfinder). Panasonic's GM line is really cute but a bit *too* small. If I remember correctly, the Leica T is actually lighter than the GX7. I can't believe they're growing the GX line's size even further.

If we speak about small and light cameras Leica only needs to improve the T concept, quicker AF and a couple of other things.  And add a 50 and 75/85 EQ primes to the range.

robert

PS: I think that the rumored new system is going in a different direction, to give an alternative to the RF Ms for potential client interested in AF. 

Interchangeable lens X or Q camera compatible with T or M lenses? Then you'd have three distinct body types but could use the same Leica lenses on most of them. Well, T lenses could go on a new Q or X, and M lenses could go on all three with manual focus. The Leica family would be far closer. And versatility could prove good for sales.

There is a rumored new X U camera coming. U for Universal?  At present it's U for Unobtainable.

• Like 2