23 or 24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When in company, i just take the t and the standard zoom. Taking quick shots and trying to be not too  much of a nuisance. when i have the time i like to bring m-lenses. I was planning to get the 23 summicron some day. Now i have my eyes on 24 elmarit. If anyone uses the elmarit on a t or has Side by Side comparisons i would be glad to read the experiences. 

I can't comment on the 24mm Elmarit, but I can tell you that the 23mm Summicron is lens that produces beautiful results, and is over a half-stop faster than the Elmarit. Plus, consider it can use the AF system when you want it to, and I think there's an incredible amount of value in that little lens.

On the M-lens side, I've personally sprung for a 50mm Vöigtlander Nokton, but only because the T doesn't offer a prime in that range. In addition to the Vöigtlander and the 23mm 'cron, I also own the 55-135mm Vario-Elmar-T, which is similarly spectacular to the 23mm.

I couldn't recommend the 23mm enough!

I'm afraid that you can't go wrong with either, each has pluses and minus's.

At the moment I am "all M lenses", no T lens, and while it's nice, I find myself wondering why I have an A/F body for a completely manual lens line-up. (I can actually tell you why, I was thinking to try another M8, but decided on the T due it being cheaper, and newer, the age of the M8 being the decider, for me).

My widest is the 28mm Elmarit, and it sure is nice, but occasionally I feel I want wider.

The 23 Summicron certainly appeals, it comes highly regarded (albeit I understand with a touch of chromatic) and is A/F. It will seemlessly integrate with the T body and provide a small, light, top quality optic.

It will only fit the T though, and that could be the decider for someone with an M as well. And I tend to use the T alongside the M6, with 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm lenses.

Isn't it great being spoilt for choice?
Gary

I considered the exact same question when buying my T and in some ways wished I had the 24mm M lens for the future M camera I will buy, however bought the 23mm and don't regret it.

The reason I bought the t lens, were autofocus and weight.  I have an 18mm super elmar and the difference in carrying the T with this and the 23mm is big.

Hope this help.

Thank you for your replies,

Joshjagdfeld, Jrichie, indeed i regards the summicron as a safe bet. Its leightness and af are certainly appealling.

Gary, maybe i will ponder some more over this choise. Just for the fun of it! I am leaning towards the elmarit, because i already have the zoom. But i understand your wish to add a t-lens. I love the autofocus. Even more so because of the ability to finetune focus at halfpress. I never use the zoom in mf.

• 4 weeks later...

still in need of a picture. our summer was not the best. Summ 23mm it is!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gary ...

Would please clarify for me (new to the T) the following: ..." the 23 Summicron certainly appeals, it comes highly regarded (albeit I understand with a touch of chromatic) and is A/F."...

AF as in autofocus for 23mm lux on the T (with M adapter)? I thought none but T lenses will give you AF. Please advise. Sorry...Just understood you're talking about the proprietary 23mm T lens. Was confused for a moment.

Edited by Willy ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

Hi Willy,

yes, the standard 23mm Summicron, the T auto-focus one.

It seems crazy for me to go through life without being able to use (if/when I want) the AF side of the T. And after handling a T recently with a couple of the AF lenses, I want this more.

But the flip side is cost, and the fact I already have a couple of M mount, manual focus lenses.

Gary

Hi Willy,

yes, the standard 23mm Summicron, the T auto-focus one.

It seems crazy for me to go through life without being able to use (if/when I want) the AF side of the T. And after handling a T recently with a couple of the AF lenses, I want this more.

But the flip side is cost, and the fact I already have a couple of M mount, manual focus lenses.

Gary

Gary:

I fully get it. Why have an AF cam if you're going to use non-AF glass? However, there is, and always will be, a time and place for non-AF glass on a AF cam. I'm just saying. It's never a waste of money to make sure you have some great non-AF glass - no matter what.